Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I really do not understand the whole "building in phases sometimes in development projects. Like if there are multiple structures on different parcels, why do some developers build one at a time when they've all been finalized. Like why can't half be built and the other land be used for construction purposes. I say that because I would hate for them to wait for LU2 to be done to start work on the other area by the parking garage, as construction there is wrapping up. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, j-man said:

I really do not understand the whole "building in phases sometimes in development projects. Like if there are multiple structures on different parcels, why do some developers build one at a time when they've all been finalized. Like why can't half be built and the other land be used for construction purposes. I say that because I would hate for them to wait for LU2 to be done to start work on the other area by the parking garage, as construction there is wrapping up. 

Cuz thats how the economics of it generally works.  The areas by the parking deck will start once market conditions allow it to start. Once financing is secured. Once possible Joint Venture partners are signed on. Building a $150M residential tower isn't like building a dog house in your back yard. Nothing is truly finalized.

I'm certain that there is a general vision plan in place, with spots "fleshed out" for what they'd like it to be. From there they find partners for residential, or hotel, and tenants for office. Lincoln Harris is generally a Commercial Developer. So those pieces would happen quicker. Then they tap people like Lennar, Proffitt Dixon, Sumitomo Forestry (what I have renamed Crescent), Northwood Ravin, etc, for residential, people like White Lodging, etc. I can guarantee you very little is actually final. 

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Cuz thats how the economics of it generally works.  The areas by the parking deck will start once market conditions allow it to start. Once financing is secured. Once possible Joint Venture partners are signed on. Building a $150M residential tower isn't like building a dog house in your back yard. Nothing is truly finalized.

I'm certain that there is a general vision plan in place, with spots "fleshed out" for what they'd like it to be. From there they find partners for residential, or hotel, and tenants for office. Lincoln Harris is generally a Commercial Developer. So those pieces would happen quicker. Then they tap people like Lennar, Proffitt Dixon, Sumitomo Forestry (what I have renamed Crescent), Northwood Ravin, etc, for residential, people like White Lodging, etc. I can guarantee you very little is actually final. 

Ok. Thanks for that. Sometimes I forget about the partners and market. I sometimes think, If you have the money, the land, and the plan, what's the wait? lol 

50 minutes ago, j-man said:

Ok. Thanks for that. Sometimes I forget about the partners and market. I sometimes think, If you have the money, the land, and the plan, what's the wait? lol 

I mean, really, you just have to know its a solid investment. I'm guessing they will wait and see how current units fill up. I'm 80% certain we are going to see LU3 submitted to the city in the next few weeks. Especially if LT is back on the market. They are going to need to move fast on a building.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean, really, you just have to know its a solid investment. I'm guessing they will wait and see how current units fill up. I'm 80% certain we are going to see LU3 submitted to the city in the next few weeks. Especially if LT is back on the market. They are going to need to move fast on a building.

I feel like as far as uptown goes, the commercial buildings fill up fast, but the residential units do not as much as people say they do. I know a few people that are paying rent with huge discounts or either were given major deals like 2 or 3 months free rent to sign a lease. idk.... but as far as this location is concerned I'm sure there shouldn't be too much of a problem with drawing people in. Stonewall street alone is becoming an eat/work/play center of its own as all of these projects are sprouting up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

I feel like as far as uptown goes, the commercial buildings fill up fast, but the residential units do not as much as people say they do. I know a few people that are paying rent with huge discounts or either were given major deals like 2 or 3 months free rent to sign a lease. idk.... but as far as this location is concerned I'm sure there shouldn't be too much of a problem with drawing people in. Stonewall street alone is becoming an eat/work/play center of its own as all of these projects are sprouting up. 

You never know. Theres a lot of stuff being built, and a great deal of economic uncertainty. Nobody knows what the Donald is going to do. Its hampering our national economy quite a bit. I'd imagine Mint Street is home to two residential towers. Theres gotta be a hotel somewhere on this land.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres gotta be a hotel somewhere on this land.

If they announce LU3 soon I would think a hotel has to follow suit not too long after.  Even with all of the new hotels in Uptown, three office towers, plus DEC should be enough to support a high-end hotel.  I would also think they want to announce a hotel and get it going before the DEC2 development site gets too far along.  What do I know though... I suppose there is a reason I do my thinking on UP rather than in the market, lol.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

If they announce LU3 soon I would think a hotel has to follow suit not too long after.  Even with all of the new hotels in Uptown, three office towers, plus DEC should be enough to support a high-end hotel.  I would also think they want to announce a hotel and get it going before the DEC2 development site gets too far along.  What do I know though... I suppose there is a reason I do my thinking on UP rather than in the market, lol.

I would imagine a full service hotel is absolutely on the radar for Legacy Union.  I would think it'd be the next step after a third office tower. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I hope they cover the piping with some sort of cap. The renderings definitely don't look like segmented metal pipes. 

You'd think they'd have to. If you look close enough, there appears to be a slight gap between the metal and the other material. I would think the cap would be necessary in an area of extreme winds and rain.

I don’t know if KJ still agrees, but the building looks fabulous and great in the skyline. 

So, has the retail component pretty much died beyond some restaurants, maybe a sundries and Kinkos?  Anything to look forward to IE Apple, Nike, Urban Outfitters? 

Either way, this plot of land is going to be dope with a concentration of very professional towers all concentrated right there. A singular developer can give some uniformity/cohesiveness between all the developments on the block. 

Assume Lincoln Harris could land US Bank and Lending Tree. Deloitte and Bank of America in addition to the surrounding towers - Wells Fargo, Ally, Duke. This is a very affluent, white collar and impressive concentration of employment. Also you have JW Marriot, Westin.... museums, stadiums, convention center. Honestly, without Lincoln Harris, even with the other developments.... it wouldn’t feel nearly as complete. The Legacy Union project really makes the entire Stonewall portion of uptown possibly the most significant and important area of uptown. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4