Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Between Cato, River District and Charlotte Observer. Lincoln Harris will be tied to Several Billion Dollars worth of projects in the Charlotte Metro Area. Pretty much need to have Goldman Sachs as a financier. 

I mean, I'm cautiously optimistic they can pull this off while also doing all of those other projects. 

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Between Cato, River District and Charlotte Observer. Lincoln Harris will be tied to Several Billion Dollars worth of projects in the Charlotte Metro Area. Pretty much need to have Goldman Sachs as a financier. 

Can you say to what scale the Observer site will be or a rough comparison? 

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Can you say to what scale the Observer site will be or a rough comparison? 

If Brickell City Centre is 1.05 billion for the following: 

• 500,000 square-foot shopping center
  • 260,000 square feet of office space in two towers
  • 780 condominiums in two towers
  • 263 hotel rooms
  • 89 serviced apartments
  • 2,600 parking spaces

Compared with Miami's land prices and construction costs, I'd say LH's project would be 1.5+ Billion.

Compared to Brickell... There will be:
Less Retail
Way more Commercial
Slightly more Residential

Way more KeysMore Parking

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

• 263 hotel rooms
  • 89 serviced apartments
  • 2,600 parking spaces

Compared with Miami's land prices and construction costs, I'd say LH's project would be 1.5+ Billion.

Less Retail
Way more Commercial

Way more Keys

More Parking

I hope what I've gleaned from multiple sources is correct, or I'm going to look really silly :-).

This but slightly bigger? *jaw drops*

aerialfromthesw_2000X1547Q80.jpg

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

• 263 hotel rooms
  • 89 serviced apartments
  • 2,600 parking spaces

Less Retail
Way more Commercial

Way more Keys

More Parking

I hope what I've gleaned from multiple sources is correct, or I'm going to look really silly :-).

So 500,000 sq. ft. Of retail is about 1/2 of North Lake mall.

Tryon Place will have 30,000 sq. feet of retail.

So even if it's half of Brickell, that's still a lot for uptown.

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

4 minutes ago, mpretori said:

This but slightly bigger? *jaw drops*

aerialfromthesw_2000X1547Q80.jpg

Thats full phased Brickell. I'm comparing to Phase 1 of Brickell. 
IF we are comparing it to a fully phased Brickell it'd be less Residential. For What its worth, Miami hardly has a Commercial Real Estate market to speak of.

1 hour ago, Piedmont767 said:

Even if this project isn't as big as Brickell City Center, this project is still huge for Charlotte. It really shows that we are a city that is on-par with many major cities around the country. 

I can't wait for this! Such an exciting time to be living in Charlotte!

I'm still skeptical. 
Any amount of Commercial is a head scratcher, when there is an obvious difficulty leasing what we have coming online. The most glaring needs with this project is Hotel space and Retail. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm still skeptical. Even with the reliability of the info I have.
This will need to be phased, and the amount of commercial space associated, is a real head scratcher. We are talking Hearst Tower amount of Commercial space, when there is an obvious difficulty leasing what we have coming online. The most glaring needs with this project is Hotel space and Retail. 

So you have heard that there will be almost 1.6million square feet of commercial space (if wikipedia is correct about Hearst' floor area)? 

That seems quite ill-planned, considering we having something-like 1.? million square feet coming online in 3+ projects. I'm guessing that this will be a 10 year master plan or something along those lines?

9 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

So you have heard that there will be almost 1.6million square feet of commercial space (if wikipedia is correct about Hearst' floor area)? 

That seems quite ill-planned, considering we having something-like 1.? million square feet coming online in 3+ projects. I'm guessing that this will be a 10 year master plan or something along those lines?

I don't think 1.6 million is correct for Hearst. 

Average Floor Plate is 22k at 47 floors plus a 180k trading floor. That does not equal 1.6 million sq feet.

Edited by Guest

Hearst Tower is 970,000 sq ft of office space plus the podium of parking it sits on. This Observer site project is very exciting but we need to have office tenants and retail anchors to make it work. But with Goldman Sachs as the partner it could start sooner than Tryon Place. Of the 1,000,000 sq ft of office space under construction uptown 300K is preleased all in the 300 South Tryon Building. That leaves 700K more of new high dollar space plus any office towers on this property. I just take a realistic view on things and think this is a great long term project that may have many many phases. Brickell City Center is one of the best mixed used projects underway in the USA backed by Swire Properties of Hong Kong. Hudson Yards on the westside of Manhattan is the only other huge mixed use urban project this complicated. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Hearst Tower is 970,000 sq ft of office space plus the podium of parking it sits on. This Observer site project is very exciting but we need to have office tenants and retail anchors to make it work. But with Goldman Sachs as the partner it could start sooner than Tryon Place. Of the 1,000,000 sq ft of office space under construction uptown 300K is preleased all in the 300 South Tryon Building. That leaves 700K more of new high dollar space plus any office towers on this property. I just take a realistic view on things and think this is a great long term project that may have many many phases. Brickell City Center is one of the best mixed used projects underway in the USA backed by Swire Properties of Hong Kong. Hudson Yards on the westside of Manhattan is the only other huge mixed use urban project this complicated. 

I honestly agree 100%. I have a healthy bit of skeptism. Daniel Levine had a massive vision for his land and what did it get us? A park, a school building and some concrete pillars and rebar sitting in the sunshine. Of course Lincoln Harris is a prolific developer, though their bread and butter is not as urban as this, and their financier is pretty impressive. I think many phases is on the money, starting with residential, hotel and retail, with pre built pads for future office. 

Lincoln Harris filed their PrePlanning for Charlotte Observer on Acella. Not clickable yet, but it has begun, hope my previous posts are on the mark.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Hmmmmm, this is the actual site-plan approval submission, so they must have firm #'s at this point.

Yup! Now granted things can sit on Accela for ages before anything happens to it. But yeah it's definitely a step forward. Mpretori, no link yet. 

ugh no, this is only for the mass grading of the site. Which, to be fair, is going to be a monumental undertaking.

Edited by Jayvee

6 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Yup! Now granted things can sit on Accela for ages before anything happens to it. But yeah it's definitely a step forward. Mpretori, no link yet. 

ugh no, this is only for the mass grading of the site. Which, to be fair, is going to be a monumental undertaking.

:( What does Accela mean? That's a new term or site for me. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, grodney said:

On the Stonewall side of the old Observer building, there are paint lines and "setback" stakes.  I don't know what this means and I have no further information.  I report, you decide.

20160427_145436_zpsa0bewoy2.jpg

Putting my photoshop skills to work.  This look right?

COSiteDevelopment.jpg

I presume there are actual plans already?  Or are those stakes just to conduct studies?  In any event, I imagine a lot of those trees will have to go.  Hopefully they save them and put them somewhere else.