Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Continuing the Atlantic station off branch. My marching band got lost in that parking garage. We tried to take a short cut to get to the bodies exhibit. What should have taken ten mins took closer to 40. 

30 high schoolers and a hopelessly clueless band director wandering almost aimlessly in a giant garage. We must have been quite a sight.

I remember it being completely devoid of people though and it was HUGE. It was a weekday to be fair though.

So it is probably better to have smaller and more organic retail for CLT rather than a large urban mall. That's probably looking in the wrong direction for a city this size.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

*Off-topic Warning*
[mention=17104]ricky_davis_fan_21[/mention] , you mentioned Grubb and Novant aren't working together anymore (I assume because the Kings College situation happened).  My understanding previously is that Novant was holding up Grubb/Elizabeth redevelopment.  If Grubb/Novant aren't working together anymore, does that mean Grubb can actually develop some of the gravel parking lots now?  Is there an article waiting to be written about this? [emoji6] There is soo much unrealized potential along Elizabeth Ave.  I am reading between the lines hoping that there is chance it actually happens in the near future.

It’s actually the exact opposite. It’s Novants land, and grubb was brought in to reimagine the district. Clay Grubb was perhaps our only hope. Hopefully we get a new developer, and a new vision. The original Elizabeth Avenue is probably no longer viable from a land price perspective. It’ll need to be much higher density. So a new vision would be nice, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Perhaps I misspoke.   NY, for example, supports massive amounts of very expensive retail because there are tons of very rich people in many different neighborhoods in Manhattan.   These stores don't rely on people driving in from Westchester, Connecticut, NJ, and Nassau.   Other than cities like NY, SF, Boston, and Chicago, there aren't many US cities with huge numbers of very, very rich residents (let alone hoards of tourists) to support this level of urban retail.

For the typical US city, like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, etc., most wealthy people who shop at these stores don't live downtown.  They live in the suburbs and that's where they want to shop.   

I don't think that Charlotte needs a street lined with Burberry, Brooks Brothers, Pink, Tiffany, Cartier, etc. to validate it.   It has a lot of great stuff in Uptown as it is, and for those who want to buy fancy stuff, a short drive to Southpark isn't too onerous.

Midtown Atlanta and Uptown Dallas, have the potential to have this demographic, but more likely it develops just outside the densest area. In Atlanta its converging along the Beltine to the east and west midtown.

Obviously South End would be Charlotte's candidate followed by Central avenue as its secondary urban pocket eventually.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

25 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Midtown Atlanta and Uptown Dallas, have the potential to have this demographic, but more likely it develops just outside the densest area. In Atlanta its converging along the Beltine to the east and west midtown.

Obviously South End would be Charlotte's candidate followed by Central avenue as its secondary urban pocket eventually.

Neither of those areas in Atlanta and Dallas have tens of thousands of multi-million dollars apartments.  I guess NY is unique in that respect, but Boston, SF, and Chicago all have tons of pretty expensive condos, which support that shopping,

I like Charlotte as it is.  Neither Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, etc. will ever be like Chicago, for example.  That's fine with me.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, CLT2014 said:

Any of us are welcome to open up a small boutique and store in Uptown rather than wait for others to do it. We can be a part of the solution, who wants to do it!?!

I think the hard thing is if I was to open a store, I'd feel like I could make more revenue in other locations in Charlotte, but cut my rent.

The fact that there are literally tons of buildings uptown whose lobbies are collecting dust, maybe they can cut some slack to small businesses (or medium sized local businesses) and create some more life on the streets uptown?  I know this has happened to a few buildings but could continue.  I know logistics is involved but for crying out loud....enough with the overpriced steakhouses and hotels.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

The fact that there are literally tons of buildings uptown whose lobbies are collecting dust, maybe they can cut some slack to small businesses (or medium sized local businesses) and create some more life on the streets uptown?  I know this has happened to a few buildings but could continue.  I know logistics is involved but for crying out loud....enough with the overpriced steakhouses and hotels.  

I’ve never seen office buildings with small or medium sized businesses in them. Kinkos and national retailers are all I’ve ever seen.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

34 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’ve never seen office buildings with small or medium sized businesses in them. Kinkos and national retailers are all I’ve ever seen.

Do sundries shops count?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

You mean FedEx :) And maybe they should start considering?  Empty gigantic lobbies is so 1988.   They need to maximize their ROI  lol

On 2/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, TheOneRJ said:

Something like City Creek Center in Salt Lake City would work well in Uptown. With the long sought after Saks Fifth Avenue store as an anchor. 

What is Nashville’s “buzz”? Charlotte has more annual tourists than Nashville on top of a higher CBD population and income. 

At last check, it’s Music City USA. What are tourists coming to see in Charlotte ? The Levineland Ruins ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

At last check, it’s Music City USA. What are tourists coming to see in Charlotte ? The Levineland Ruins ?

Um, have you not been to the Airport lately and learned about our fabulous tourist attraction, rated #1 by TripAdvisor. The fabulous and informative Billy Graham Library.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Um, have you not been to the Airport lately and learned about our fabulous tourist attraction, rated #1 by TripAdvisor. The fabulous and informative Billy Graham Library.

Well, it is the bomb. But by itself it pushes stratospheric numbers ? Maybe NASCAR. In any case, Nashville just feels differently. Like LA, it exudes nostalgia and celebrity.