Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Like I said, I'm fairly certain this is NOT the plan. We have been getting pictures twice daily of this building since the crown was erected. Go back in this thread, at no point were Chillers placed in that structure. There is something else planned.

Never said anything about chillers.   You can believe me or NOT, but there ARE cooling towers on the roof under the pyramid.  This is why it is opened.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QClifer said:

Does anybody else think LU1 will be the tallest building in this development? I feel all the others will be around 20 stories(alts, 800 room hotel, office etc) I think LU1 is the main building for the complex, maybe being set back from Tryon makes me think that I don’t know.  I just can’t see another building block the pyramid or The BofA logo up top. 

800 room hotel would be around 30-35 floors, I think there will be a 35 floor residential tower, and the office will shake out as it shakes out.

1 minute ago, CltPE said:

Never said anything about chillers.   You can believe me or NOT, but there ARE cooling towers on the roof under the pyramid.  This is why it is opened.  

I believe you!

On 2/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks.  I haven't been to Minneapolis for years.  I like it there but couldn't take the climate.  Anyway, I thought that Brooks Brothers, etc had closed too.  The fact that there's a big mall is irrelevant.   Charlotte has a big, fancy mall even closer to its downtown.

You're right.  It's not relevant at all - just look at all the shopping options Uptown has to offer.  /s  Anyway, SouthPark is nowhere the draw that the MOA is.  BTW, there is another mall just outside of downtown Minneapolis, Rosedale Center, which is about the same distance South Park is from Uptown (~5 to 7 miles).  Southdale and the Galleria are also close to downtown MPLS (~8 or 9 miles).  These places have played a large role in sucking the life out of downtown areas. 

I was uptown last weekend. I flew to CLT after work. I wanted to go H&M for something. Sucked it wasn’t uptown so I schlepped all the way to southpark (that’s actually much farther away than I remember. ) very nice and was much busier and popping than I remembered. H&M was closed for the renovations. Went all the way back to center city. Really wished, and there could be, an H&M uptown. 

Flew back to BWI airport, took the commuter train back to DC — Union Station — where there was an H&M. Didn’t have my size, so took metro 3 stops over to another H&M.  So convenient. 

I have no doubt an H&M could survive uptown. Great place for uptown folks - clothes for work or for casual around Town. 

The fact that SouthPark doesn’t have direct highway or interstate access makes it more cumbersome to get too (although a beautiful drive down providence) . That could be a plus for uptown 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

32 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Have you talked to anyone about your H&M problem? I think there are support groups for that.

I don’t really get what you’re point - if any - you have?

I think an H&M would be one - if any - clothing retailer uptown could get. A place, mind you, that has virtually zero retailers outside a mini teet and a Whole Foods. I guess on your lunch break you could go to an overpriced place in the bank atrium and the connecting tubes. Get some Jamba Juice before 5pm. 

I wanted a new cheap blazer for work and thought I could just pick one up in CLT. When my “problem” - rather a slight inconvenience - I just got one when I returned to DC. And then i thought if a city like Nashville could support H&M, CLT too could. 

My broader point was, CLT’s uptown could support an H&M. A Zara will never happen. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  Uptown is likely not going to have retail for a very. Very. Long time. Definitely not a Zara. Not a Nordstrom. H&M, it could work.    Perhaps if there was a place to buy a blazer at 7pm in uptown, I would’ve got over it and just bought a more expensive one. But the CVS in epicenter didn’t have any. (I’ve been holding out for a long time on hopes of retail. The final straw was when we were ushered the bottom of Ivey’s hotel was gonna have an urban outfitters or other retailer. Then months passed by and all we got were pictures of a ghostly shovel. It never panned our. I’ve since accepted retail is likely not in our future.)

Should’ve held out for this week with the pop up stores. Oh well. I’ll just come back next thanksgiving when Good Will does their little pop-up shop. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don’t really get what you’re point - if any - you have?

My broader point was, CLT’s uptown could support an H&M. A Zara will never happen. I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  Uptown is likely not going to have retail for a very. Very. Long time. Definitely not a Zara. Not a Nordstrom. H&M, it could work.    Perhaps if there was a place to buy a blazer at 7pm in uptown, I would’ve got over it and just bought a more expensive one. 

Should’ve held out for this week with the pop up stores. Oh well. I’ll just come back next thanksgiving when Good Will does their little pop-up shop. 

The data fashion retailers analyze for Uptown demographics is likely discouraging. 2017 ACS survey shows 28202 residents are only 42.9% female... women in the 15 - 35 year old age range are the bread and butter of H&M profitability and H&M has reported their highest margin items are jewelry, scarfs, tunics, wraps, and hats. 

Compound the lack of female residents Uptown, with a workforce in Uptown that skews towards high income men over the age of 21 that prefer stores like JCrew, Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Bonobos, Peter Millar (and anything else golf related), tailored suits, etc... and really most of Uptown falls outside the H&M target marketplace. Nashville on the other hand is a bachelorette party hub. Lots of foot traffic from young women right in the H&M target market, and they are shopping in groups / lingering in the store. There is a reason the store is literally right at 5th and Broadway in the middle of tourists and bachelorettes, as opposed to being in the office building part of downtown Nashville. 

28203 on the other hand (South End and Dilworth) is 52.7% female and 20% of those women are in the 25-29 year old age range. Unsurprisingly Anthropologie, Free People, Sephora, West Elm, several bridal boutiques, hair salons for women (rather than just barber shops), nail salons, etc.... all want to open stores in South End. 

If Uptown becomes a location of choice for female residents and Uptown employers diversify, you may see more retailers that make most of their profit in female departments come Uptown. Otherwise Uptown will continue to have stores like Jos A Bank, Abbeydale, Old Mason Jar, Label, etc... that cater to men. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I was giving you a hard time for making it sound like you traveled all over the east coast visiting H&M stores :)

Lol. Not gonna lie. My mood went from “oh, my hometown, my mall, how nice, nostalgic” to the one thing I was looking for lol. It was actually pretty traumatic lol. Then went to SouthEnd and that drag queen bar closed. Everything I wanted was closed lol

• Haha 1

download.jpg.8bbc70759e5fb73dc5d0239376880946.jpg    You mean this one? (Observer ad from 1973)

38 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Lol. Not gonna lie. My mood went from “oh, my hometown, my mall, how nice, nostalgic” to the one thing I was looking for lol. It was actually pretty traumatic lol. Then went to SouthEnd and that drag queen bar closed. Everything I wanted was closed lol

Edited by tarhoosier

I was joking. Oleens has been gone from that black concrete box on the Dunkin donuts land for longer than some of you have lived. If you recall Oleens (and are willing to talk publicly about it) then it means you recall streetwalkers at South and East Blvd. The working girls were not directly related to Oleens, btw.

• Haha 1