Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

4 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

Insert "beating the dead horse gif," but I really hate this parking deck.  This deck and the "Great Wall of Charlotte" a few blocks down really take away from all the good happening on Stonewall.

I have come to accept it.  I try my hardest to visualize the deck with what is hopefully a 20+ floor building on the side facing the stadium, blocking it entirely.  

• Like 2

I was looking through my nephew's 2019 Guinness Book of World Records and was stunned to see this. Touché Lincoln Harris, this must not be a weird flex and just a cold hard FACT.

Make sure you read the caption, those guys at Guiness, sheesh, artists.

LEGACY-UNION.png

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

I guess in a perfect Urban Planet world, there would be no parking deck and the workers would commute from their affordable housing or housing project on their kale powered scooters. 

I only ride vehicles powered on Swiss Chard.

30 minutes ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

I guess in a perfect Urban Planet world, there would be no parking deck and the workers would commute from their affordable housing or housing project on their kale powered scooters. 

And also. I'm not complaining about the fact there is 3800 spaces so far with this project, Just complaining that they are above ground. They should be buried and don't @ me with the costs of doing it being 2x as much. If you bury it, you can then build another 2-3M sq feet of leasable space in the literal TWO ACRES that the parking deck takes up.

Edited by Guest

Frankly, there is no excuse for this beyond "we are too cheap to dig." They aren't thinking far enough ahead and they are devaluing the city. Both the enormous parking deck and the cut-rate architecture of the primary tower mean that this project, far from improving the cityscape, helps to make Charlotte look second- or third-rate.

• Like 3

RDF re: Tryon Place December 2016:

"I'm assuming this is in reference to them not being able to bury parking, and I'm going to go ahead and defend them on this. $30M extra is a lot to pin on a spec building, enough to not make it feasible. Wells Fargo dug 10 floors into the same bedrock, but heres the difference, they were funding the entire building themselves. "

I was unhappy with this decision across the street. There must be reasons why these developers refuse to do what Wells did beyond Wells being willing to commit more money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't the ground in this part of uptown like really shallow, really hard bedrock? So the blasting needed to put the parking underground would have been a pretty big deal. And didn't they build this deck with stronger, flat floors and higher ceilings so it could eventual accommodate something else? (Or am I just imagining I read that somewhere?)

4 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

RDF re: Tryon Place December 2016:

"I'm assuming this is in reference to them not being able to bury parking, and I'm going to go ahead and defend them on this. $30M extra is a lot to pin on a spec building, enough to not make it feasible. Wells Fargo dug 10 floors into the same bedrock, but heres the difference, they were funding the entire building themselves. "

I was unhappy with this decision across the street. There must be reasons why these developers refuse to do what Wells did beyond Wells being willing to commit more money.

Like I said there, a lot to pin on a spec building. This isn't spec, and the whole building looks like a poster child for cutting costs across the board.

Just now, orulz said:

Isn't the ground in this part of uptown like really shallow, really hard bedrock? So the blasting needed to put the parking underground would have been a pretty big deal. And didn't they build this deck with stronger, flat floors and higher ceilings so it could eventual accommodate something else? (Or am I just imagining I read that somewhere?)

Ally Center did that, this parking deck did not.

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

My guess is if they buried the parking, the lease prices on the tower  would have had to be too high and Bank of America would not have signed a lease. 

But they'd be able to develop all that land, and have more leasable assets thus offsetting those costs that would increase lease prices, no?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

But they'd be able to develop all that land, and have more leasable assets thus offsetting those costs that would increase lease prices, no?

Probably, that would make sense to me. Maybe they couldn't get financing for the up front cost of burying for future development over the tower.... or they are just short-sighted.

Edited by CLT2014

On 2/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, Dale said:

I’ve wondered if they copied Odell a bit.

Johnny Harris meets Johnny Harris. Both buildings were from his mind ("I want 525 N Tryon to be clad in aggregate like I saw on a terrible building in Atlanta last year...I want Legacy Onion to look like Dallas did in 1985"). 

• Like 1

where is that beating the dead horse meme?

anyway since Bank of America leased 550,000 SQUARE FEET in this tower and surely signed off a design why not blame them?  Look how different Legacy 2 is.   This is what it is; if you don't like the looks of it just get your office to move there and then you won't be able to see it from any of your windows uptown. 

as for the garage if any point in the future cars go away and NO parking is ever needed then they do have a redevelopment site.   Maybe the rooftop of the deck is built for a space port for rocket launches and alien craft landings?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Johnny Harris meets Johnny Harris. Both buildings were from his mind ("I want 525 N Tryon to be clad in aggregate like I saw on a terrible building in Atlanta last year...I want Legacy Onion to look like Dallas did in 1985"). 

Hope he hasn’t seen that faux Mayan temple highrise in downtown Houston.

• Like 1