Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

33 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Putting my photoshop skills to work.  This look right?

COSiteDevelopment.jpg

I presume there are actual plans already?  Or are those stakes just to conduct studies?  In any event, I imagine a lot of those trees will have to go.  Hopefully they save them and put them somewhere else.

Yeah all he vegetation will go but absolutely be replaced. I'm sure the street presence is going to be incredible. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, alb1no panther said:

Putting my photoshop skills to work.  This look right?

COSiteDevelopment.jpg

I presume there are actual plans already?  Or are those stakes just to conduct studies?  In any event, I imagine a lot of those trees will have to go.  Hopefully they save them and put them somewhere else.

They won't.  #1 transplanting trees, especially trees that are a few decades old or older is extremely risky, there is a very real substantial risk that the tree will die.  #2 it is incredibly expensive.  #3 the species may not lend itself to being moved, for example some deciduous trees have fairly inflexible branches that lead to a large percentage of them breaking during transport, this combined with the root ball trauma basically does too much damage for the tree to survive.   

Great article by Mark Washburn in the CO about the moving of the headquarters of the "second oldest continual business address" in Uptown:

Goodbye 600, Hello 550: Observing a Historic Shift

I really liked the ending line from the "first oldest continual business address" in Uptown.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

On 4/28/2016 at 0:16 PM, Jayvee said:

Yeah all he vegetation will go but absolutely be replaced. I'm sure the street presence is going to be incredible. 

There's a 22ft setback on Tryon Street, so that looks about right (without a scale).

I can barely contain my excitement for this area.  Can you imagine the type of designs just for the pedestrian experience along Mint?  You have the beautiful Panthers grounds on one side, and then the most transformative project to hit Charlotte since BoA HQ on the other.  Not to mention it does wonders for my property value.  That area has the potential to bring southern charm to a big-city project.  Not to mention make the Panthers one of the more desirable road games in the NFL.

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

I can barely contain my excitement for this area.  Can you imagine the type of designs just for the pedestrian experience along Mint?  You have the beautiful Panthers grounds on one side, and then the most transformative project to hit Charlotte since BoA HQ on the other.  Not to mention it does wonders for my property value.  That area has the potential to bring southern charm to a big-city project.  Not to mention make the Panthers one of the more desirable road games in the NFL.

I'm not getting my hopes up for something as grandiose as alluded to. I will believe it when I see it. Not to discredit any posters, but I don't want to get excited until I know when shovels are going the ground.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I'm not getting my hopes up for something as grandiose as alluded to. I will believe it when I see it. Not to discredit any posters, but I don't want to get excited until I know when shovels are going the ground.

Dude. The way economics of a site this large works.... it was purchased at 3.7 million per acre.... The only thing that works is something grandiose. Thats just how it works. 

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

While that may be true, I personally expect the worst and hope for the best. I'm very optimistic in life, but I do practice a reasonable amount of tempered expectations; justified or not.

You are smart to practice as such. With the way uptown development is going, there will have to be something very dense in this spot, maybe not this upswing, maybe not the next, but eventually. Hopefully Lincoln Harris develops to the specs I've heard, but only time will tell.

6 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

What's a ballpark timeframe for design and build? 10 years?

I wish I could say. I was never told whether the specs I was given were a "master plan" or a actual plan. LH has Goldman Sachs behind them for this development and Cato, so you never know. However, I highly doubt anything in the billion dollar range gets built in the next 3-5 years, especially with High Chancellor Trump flirting with the führership presidency. 

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I wish I could say. I was never told whether the specs I was given were a "master plan" or a actual plan. LH has Goldman Sachs behind them for this development and Cato, so you never know. However, I highly doubt anything in the billion dollar range gets built in the next 3-5 years, especially with High Chancellor Trump flirting with the führership presidency. 

i saw somewhere that there will be 3 20 story buildings, is this correct? 

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

i saw somewhere that there will be 3 20 story buildings, is this correct? 

I've heard some very off the record specs. If I had to guess their breakdown, I'd say a hotel bigger than Westin, not sure whether stacked or one single flag, two large residential towers and a when demand is back again... a office tower the size of 1 Bofa center. Pure speculation, don't read into it too far. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've heard some very off the record specs. If I had to guess their breakdown, I'd say a hotel bigger than Westin, not sure whether stacked or one single flag, two large residential towers and a when demand is back again... a office tower the size of 1 Bofa center. Pure speculation, don't read into it too far. 

That sounds amazing! I wish it was more on the scale of Brickell Center.

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its nice to have a loose idea of what's being floated.  i guess more than anything i'm more focused on the pedestrian experience and what the designs can do to really hit a home run with the pedscape. 

I wonder if Crescent could/would partner with Lincoln Harris? They obviously have a lot to gain from a being located next to the site. They're working together on the river district.

One of Portman's selling points for 615 is Whole Foods located next door

I have a strong suspicion that, due to the mentioning of Brickell, people on here are going to be disappointed when whatever we get at the observer site is released.

I have no inside knowledge, but I've lived in Charlotte long enough to know better.  Not saying it won't be nice, or have some height, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.

• Like 1