Jump to content

Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

That's so impressive.  It's crazy to me a few of the states with really tall buildings!  I'm from Oklahoma so I knew about Devon Tower, but places like Des Moines and Little Rock have higher towers than some more "cosmopolitan" states.  And there are some other really fascinating ones:

  • Wyoming - the university residence hall being the tallest building
  • A couple of state capitol buildings
  • Virginia - tallest being in Virginia Beach
  • Nevada - honestly I've never heard of the Palazzo resort (yeah shame on me) and had no idea it was the tallest.  Also, there's a taller one that's been on hold since 2009.  And I didn't realize that most of the casinos on the strip are actually in "Paradise"

The Palazzo is part of the venetian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a video on the tallest building in each state and for NC you might want to get to the top 10 last states.  What this shows is how tall our buildings are in Charlotte compared to most of the country.   

 

 

Thanks for the video!  It still irks me that, even though Bank of America is headquartered in Charlotte, its tallest tower is in Atlanta.  That goes back to the days when BofA was NationsBank, and C&S in Atlanta merged with Sovran in Richmond in an attempt to prevent NationsBank from taking over either of them.  And that tower was going up in Atlanta as a middle finger to NationsBank.  The actual building wasn't going to be taller than the NationsBank headquarters in Charlotte, so they stuck that useless spire/pyramid thing on top in order to make it taller.  But in the end, in spite of all their efforts to keep NationsBank out of Atlanta and Richmond, NationsBank ended up gobbling up the merged C&S/Sovran and, thus, owning that building.  And later, of course, NationsBank and Bank of America merged, but retained Charlotte as the headquarters.  So, after all these years I think it's time BofA either remove that spire from the top of its Atlanta tower, or build a taller tower in Charlotte.  Someone posted the other day about how low the office vacancy rate remains in UT Charlotte in spite of the new buildings going up.  So this seems like as good a time as any to build taller.  Think big, BofA.  Charlotte is your headquarters, not Atlanta.  Show it!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

 

Thanks for the video!  It still irks me that, even though Bank of America is headquartered in Charlotte, its tallest tower is in Atlanta.  That goes back to the days when BofA was NationsBank, and C&S in Atlanta merged with Sovran in Richmond in an attempt to prevent NationsBank from taking over either of them.  And that tower was going up in Atlanta as a middle finger to NationsBank.  The actual building wasn't going to be taller than the NationsBank headquarters in Charlotte, so they stuck that useless spire/pyramid thing on top in order to make it taller.  But in the end, in spite of all their efforts to keep NationsBank out of Atlanta and Richmond, NationsBank ended up gobbling up the merged C&S/Sovran and, thus, owning that building.  And later, of course, NationsBank and Bank of America merged, but retained Charlotte as the headquarters.  So, after all these years I think it's time BofA either remove that spire from the top of its Atlanta tower, or build a taller tower in Charlotte.  Someone posted the other day about how low the office vacancy rate remains in UT Charlotte in spite of the new buildings going up.  So this seems like as good a time as any to build taller.  Think big, BofA.  Charlotte is your headquarters, not Atlanta.  Show it!

 

Charlotte's Bank of America Tower is only the fourth tallest tower with the bank's name in the US.  Atlanta, NYC, and Dallas all have taller BofA buildings.  It'd be cool if we were number one, but NYC's is 1200 feet so we have a long way to go.

Edited by CTiger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Charlotte and BofA got the last laugh over Richmond and Atlanta and C&S and Soverign no matter who ended up with the taller building. 

Note: I still find it incredible the Corporate Center was ranked #30 tallest in the world when it was completed. Talk about a flex. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Charlotte's Bank of America Tower is only the fourth tallest tower with the bank's name in the US.  Atlanta, NYC, and Dallas all have taller BofA buildings.  It'd be cool if we were number one, but NYC's is 1200 feet so we have a long way to go.

Oh wow, that's interesting to know.  I learn so much here!  I'm a bit surprised that, apparently, BofA's San Francisco building is not as tall as Dallas and Atlanta?  Even if SF were taller than Charlotte, I would be okay with that as that's the original BofA headquarters before the merger with NationsBank.  And I give NYC a pass, too, because, well, it's NYC and I would like NYC to always be NYC and be a beacon to all great cities of the world.  But Dallas and Atlanta having taller BoA buildings than Charlotte?  That doesn't sit well with me.  :(

24 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

 

Virginia Beach’s core, where the Westin building is located, is a master-planned development on steroids. If people used to complain about Uptown Charlotte being too sterile, the should go to Virginia Beach’s core; IMHO it’s disgusting how clean and planned out everything is.

 

I've been to Norfolk (many years ago) but I've never been to Virginia Beach.  The way you describe it, it sounds like the Crystal City of the Norfolk/Hampton Roads/VA Beach/Suffolk metro.

Edited by JacksonH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Oh wow, that's interesting to know.  I learn so much here!  I'm a bit surprised that, apparently, BofA's San Francisco building is not as tall as Dallas and Atlanta?  Even if SF were taller than Charlotte, I would be okay with that as that's the original BofA headquarters before the merger with NationsBank.  And I give NYC a pass, too, because, well, it's NYC and I would like NYC to always be NYC and be a beacon to all great cities of the world.  But Dallas and Atlanta having taller BoA buildings than Charlotte?  That doesn't sit well with me.  :(

Well only the NYC and the Charlotte one started off as NCNB/NationsBank/Bank of America. Atlanta was intended to be Citizens & Southern, which became Nations Bank tower after a hostile takeover in 1991 by our hometown megabank. Dallas was InterFirst Bank Plaza, which was bought by Nations Bank in 1988. So its Bank of America and its names before it taking over companies and therefor their buildings. You aren't going to not take over a bank, just because their buildings are taller than your HQ.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well only the NYC and the Charlotte one started off as NCNB/NationsBank/Bank of America. Atlanta was intended to be Citizens & Southern, which became Nations Bank tower after a hostile takeover in 1991 by our hometown megabank. Dallas was InterFirst Bank Plaza, which was bought by Nations Bank in 1988. So its Bank of America and its names before it taking over companies and therefor their buildings. You aren't going to not take over a bank, just because their buildings are taller than your HQ.

Yes, I know all that merger history (I'm old), but it seems like BofA keeps putting up smaller towers in Charlotte instead of one really tall one.  And as I was guessing in an earlier comment, with the low UT vacancy rate it still is possibly doable (although maybe not good PR with the bad publicity BofA has had in recent years).  My biggest gripe is the phony "taller building" status of the former C&S/Sovran tower due to the middle-finger-to-NationsBank spire on top.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Yes, I know all that merger history (I'm old), but it seems like BofA keeps putting up smaller towers in Charlotte instead of one really tall one.  And as I was guessing in an earlier comment, with the low UT vacancy rate it still is possibly doable (although maybe not good PR with the bad publicity BofA has had in recent years).  My biggest gripe is the phony "taller building" status of the former C&S/Sovran tower due to the middle-finger-to-NationsBank spire on top.  

Every jump in floors costs exponentially more, not incrementally, which is more or less why they aren't getting taller.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Every jump in floors costs exponentially more, not incrementally, which is more or less why they aren't getting taller.

Thanks.  That's something else I didn't know.  I would have assumed the opposite.  Okay, I guess I can just dream on and wish for BofA to remove that spire off the top of its tower in Atlanta.  :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.