Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

"didn't see fit?"

Ally Center is providing 35,000 sq feet of retail between JW Marriott and Ally Center Charlotte, and a tiny lobby. Where as Legacy Union thus far is providing a two story, lawyer foyer for the ages, another large lobby facing an interior green that should haven been more retail, a 10,000 sq feet bank branch, a gym the size of a wegmans and maybe 20,000 sq feet of restaurants, but lets be honest, probably more bank branches

I get all of that but I am not sure why they would not continue the retail  space along S College next to their JW Marriott and across from the existing Westin and 615 Regions office building.  Obviously they could have had retail tenants and since it would be less prime space it could attract tenants that can't afford their price Tryon and Stonewall slots.    Just because they will have alot of retail on Tryon side but they are turning their backs on College St in my opinion.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I get all of that but I am not sure why they would not continue the retail  space along S College next to their JW Marriott and across from the existing Westin and 615 Regions office building.  Obviously they could have had retail tenants and since it would be less prime space it could attract tenants that can't afford their price Tryon and Stonewall slots.    Just because they will have alot of retail on Tryon side but they are turning their backs on College St in my opinion.  

there will be a lot of flexibility with their deck, and just because it's not there today, doesn't mean it won't be there tomorrow. If they think they f'd up and it'll lease I'm sure they will fix it. The fact of the matter is, Regions has only a bank branch, there is no center of gravity pulling pedestrians to this side of the deck. Its not a destination, good luck leasing it.

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

there will be a lot of flexibility with their deck, and just because it's not there today, doesn't mean it won't be there tomorrow. If they think they f'd up and it'll lease I'm sure they will fix it. The fact of the matter is, Regions has only a bank branch, there is no center of gravity pulling pedestrians to this side of the deck. Its not a destination, good luck leasing it.

I get that but 615 Regions is 85% leased office building with lots of office workers  and now there will be 2 hotels on that corner.  I am just saying it is a missed opportunity for Crescent not to do something there.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Remember there will be buildings in front of that deck from this view coming down Mint.  Probably residential or maybe hotel according to Legacy site plan that is somewhat fluid. 

It's going to be interesting with how they develop that lot. Even with a tower 30+ stories, bottom 1/3 of the building will be staring into that deck lol. I'd probably put a hotel there for that reason or hotel with condos above. 

• Like 3

It's going to be interesting with how they develop that lot. Even with a tower 30+ stories, bottom 1/3 of the building will be staring into that deck lol. I'd probably put a hotel there for that reason or hotel with condos above. 

Not really that hard of a concept. First 10 floors of residential only faces mint, above that it cantilevers over the deck by 20 feet max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not really that hard of a concept. First 10 floors of residential only faces mint, above that it cantilevers over the deck by 20 feet max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone wants to start taking bets, I think this will be office.

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

Why do I have a feeling that everything facing Mint will be surface parking for the Panthers. And there will be a mural to go on that huge side of the garage....don't' be mad at me just the worst case scenario, that I think could be a possibility.

When property costs continue to grow in that area, parking won't be sustainable. Also these middle to upper age developers aren't identifying that large amounts of parking are a thing of the past, and it will hit them all in 5-10 years when no one has anything other than a self driving uber taking them everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

If anyone wants to start taking bets, I think this will be office.

I can 100% guarantee that the small sliver of land there will not be office. I saw massings a year ago for a 30 floor residential building there.

32 minutes ago, j-man said:

Why do I have a feeling that everything facing Mint will be surface parking for the Panthers. And there will be a mural to go on that huge side of the garage....don't' be mad at me just the worst case scenario, that I think could be a possibility.

I cannot imagine why you think that. I can't stress how wrong you are any more.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I can 100% guarantee that the small sliver of land there will not be office. I saw massings a year ago for a 30 floor residential building there.

I cannot imagine why you think that. I can't stress how wrong you are any more.

It was just a thought that keeps lingering in my head despite all of the predictions. Its for sure not what I want.

23 minutes ago, j-man said:

It was just a thought that keeps lingering in my head despite all of the predictions. Its for sure not what I want.

Sure, it could become parking for a little bit, but thats not ultimately what it'll become. I know that you think theres not much space there, but theres plenty of space there.

47 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Sure, it could become parking for a little bit, but thats not ultimately what it'll become. I know that you think theres not much space there, but theres plenty of space there.

wow! you remembered what I said. lol Ok, but in all honesty I think there is a better chance of their being Office space than residential on that  side mainly because of the parking deck's size. But do you believe if there are other office buildings, will any of  them have additional spaces attached to them, or even under. I don't know how  many buildings this one garage will cater to..

15 minutes ago, j-man said:

wow! you remembered what I said. lol Ok, but in all honesty I think there is a better chance of their being Office space than residential on that  side mainly because of the parking deck's size. But do you believe if there are other office buildings, will any of  them have additional spaces attached to them, or even under. I don't know how  many buildings this one garage will cater to..

To put it into perspective Duke Energy Center has 2000 underground spaces, it serves 1.5M sq feet of office, two museums, a performing arts center and a 400 unit apartment tower. 

This has around 3600 between the two decks. Still a ton of room for more development. Keep in mind hotels hardly need parking, since usually they are catering to business travelers, aka people who uber

If office goes there, it'll have to be tall, and skinny, and against all the Charlotte Office Norms. It'd be skinnier than any office tower in downtown charlotte, including those built in the 1920s.

I'd be basically 12,000-15,000 sq foot floorplates for the first 7 floors, and then you'd have to do like 20,000 sq feet from there on. I figure they'd build a 450k office tower,  so based on those numbers, you'd be looking at 25 floors of office. 

Its so far from the central core, so far from any amenity, that I can't imagine an office tower goes there. Sure you can say well FNB Tower is far away from everything, but at least its by Romare Bearden Park. Definitely has hotel or residential written all over it. n.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

To put it into perspective Duke Energy Center has 2000 underground spaces, it serves 1.5M sq feet of office, two museums, a performing arts center and a 400 unit apartment tower. 

This has around 3600 between the two decks. Still a ton of room for more development. Keep in mind hotels hardly need parking, since usually they are catering to business travelers, aka people who uber

If office goes there, it'll have to be tall, and skinny, and against all the Charlotte Office Norms. It'd be skinnier than any office tower in downtown charlotte, including those built in the 1920s.

I'd be basically 12,000-15,000 sq foot floorplates for the first 7 floors, and then you'd have to do like 20,000 sq feet from there on. I figure they'd build a 450k office tower,  so based on those numbers, you'd be looking at 25 floors of office. 

Its so far from the central core, so far from any amenity, that I can't imagine an office tower goes there. Sure you can say well FNB Tower is far away from everything, but at least its by Romare Bearden Park. Definitely has hotel or residential written all over it. n.

But I was thinking the opposite about why an office building would go there. I would not put a hotel or apartment there because that area is such a dead zone for retail, parking, walk-ability (lol), so I was like yup, office. 

8 minutes ago, j-man said:

But I was thinking the opposite about why an office building would go there. I would not put a hotel or apartment there because that area is such a dead zone for retail, parking, walk-ability (lol), so I was like yup, office. 

the only real advantages I can see for that spot to be office is visibility of signage from 277, and from the field 8+ nights a year. I just know Charlotte office developers have a format, haha, and it ain't skinny office towers. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

the only real advantages I can see for that spot to be office is visibility of signage from 277, and from the field 8+ nights a year. I just know Charlotte office developers have a format, haha, and it ain't skinny office towers. 

Yeah I can tell. I like that about Charlotte though. Leave the skinny towers for New York!

9 minutes ago, j-man said:

Yeah I can tell. I like that about Charlotte though. Leave the skinny towers for New York!

I mean... Basically all of NYCs new office towers are the same format as ours, Fat AF. The skinny towers are hotel, condo, apartment, because views are marketable and salable assets.

Edited by Guest

On Mint between the garage and street at Legacy I think it would be hotels or residential probably apartments I would not see an office building there.  No company that could anchor a tower would want to be in the back.   Hotels don't need to be on the main street but office tenants like to be and Mint is not an office street at least in the foreseeable future it is not. Unless Mr Tepper builds a tower there for his investment company and moves it from NY or PA or wherever it is . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Unless Mr Tepper builds a tower there for his investment company and moves it from NY or PA or wherever it is . 

I think the HQ is actually in Miami, and FL doesn't have a state income tax for what it is worth.  If Tepper did build an office I think it might be at the new practice facilities and HQ,  similar to layout of Cowboys practice facility or Suntrust Park for the Braves.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1