Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Unless Mr Tepper builds a tower there for his investment company and moves it from NY or PA or wherever it is . 

Appaloosa Management has like 30 employees at the office in New Jersey. The office in Miami is a shell office for Tepper and team to be able to claim residency in Florida (where he owns a luxury condo) to avoid paying NJ income taxes. This firm doesn't even need an entire floor of an office building and the last thing they care about is a tower with their name on it for publicity among mass consumers. This is literally their website to show how much marketing to the masses means to them: http://amlp.com/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

As much as I hate exposed parking garages being under towers like Ascent. I think that is going to have to be the case here. Some apartments can align the front but it is just way too close to have actual units of apartments or hotels with the view of a parking garage right outside the  window. I think the garage should have just stretched all the way to Mint and turned flipped sideways so that it could be surrounded by roads on 3 sides and have all more room for the development along Church. People keep saying LU 1 is awkwardly placed, but I think the garage takes the cake. 

Edited by j-man

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

For a hotel, you can absolutely sell rooms with a view of nothing but a parking garage. You could just segment your rooms into different buying groups and offer rooms like "Standard" (view of garage), "Stadium View", and "Skyline View".  Plenty of urban hotels have rooms at a price point with no view. 

I like use to Hotwire to get deal on rooms, so I'm quite used to "alley view", "dumpster view", and "parking garage view". Certainly a market for rooms that need to be discounted a bit and bought up by mass buyers and third parties resellers. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

For a hotel, you can absolutely sell rooms with a view of nothing but a parking garage. You could just segment your rooms into different buying groups and offer rooms like "Standard" (view of garage), "Stadium View", and "Skyline View".  Plenty of urban hotels have rooms at a price point with no view. 

So will the rooms say "parking garage view" or "exposed concrete garage suite"  with the "noisy horn special" to take off a couple dollars?  Hey I'd take it. lol  I'm sure the if they did put any hotel there it would most likely be 4 stars. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, j-man said:

So will the rooms say "parking garage view" or "exposed concrete garage suite"  with the "noisy horn special" to take off a couple dollars?  Hey I'd take it. lol  I'm sure the if they did put any hotel there it would most likely be 4 stars. 

I think you are going to give me an aneurism 

Actually on like 9th glance, you could fit a sizable building there. Maybe @lancer22 isn't crazy about the office, it might actually be big enough. Theres about 30,000 sq feet of ground there with proper setback

image.thumb.png.b5129d547359c9f43a94570513957be5.png

Edited by Guest

The apartments at Railyard back right up to the parking garage and that is the hallway.    As for a hotel as long as there is a window and some space between a hotel tower I would want on a room on the back side if it meant street noise.  Once in Toronto stayed at a downtown hotel where my room window looked out into narrow corridor and other buildings and a dumpster below.  So believe me a hotel and residential can fit in that space and it is lot bigger than you think.  I will take a photo next time I am over that way.  

• Like 3

Well we can all agree that this is collectively the least desirable plot of land for this development site. What is cool about it though is the fact that you could play with the shape of the building since the road is on curved. Like below
13079-P-022-AV-Exterior%2520from%2520West_edit_LR_04_1440x690.jpg&key=9f44a6ab53c2d7111d5784f99fdef916f5bf845faa3b9600cf34b80537703002

I disagree. I love it. It’s literally forcing the developer to be creative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

Creativity!  I think you would personally would say that is Harris's strength, correct @ricky_davis_fan_21?

I mean they will likely HAVE to have that curved facade, so who knows, maybe LS3P guides them somewhere not so bad. I'm sure it'll be safe, curved, and modernist.

21 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Please tell me this has a car elevator 'cause it's gonna take FOREVER to get to any floor above say 5, no?

No actually the entrance S Church St is about 4th level or so from this Mint St side.  So if you park high you will enter on Church if you are entering from Mint you are probably parking below street grade on Church.  

• Like 2

I may be crazy, but if I were Tepper and planning to stay at the current stadium site, I'd call up old Johnny Harris and partner on developing this site for a bar and hotel building. 

A mix of St Louis Cardinals Ballpark Village

image.png.dcffbd3588872a579b61e53158815e12.png&key=784d2fba46803fa660f86aa4445749dffbf5f30e347a5ef005571bec6bce162a

LA Live

image.png.080fd01af88b795b4dae9cc77dfdd8ac.png&key=236ff3bf78291a8026cdbc6dff0424ac6e431b3880692ec7fde374424f45302b

And Victory Park in Dallas

image.png.b05bce388c38f90bc1e64e92ccbc4709.png&key=1937215490f40eda91bca637f26903c83270be24006be675cd2c3f7d3a59cb58

Ur not crazy. It WAS part of the plan, but charlotte keeps doing so well, that land is more valuable as office towers and gyms

8 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

I also disagree- this plot has some serious statement-making potential.  Imagine this general curved design, but with 3x the height ...maybe a sweeping incline with rooftop terraces facing the stadium- what a great tailgate spot!  If I was an architect this site would make me drool.

Also, what are the chances the parking deck could be topped with a deck of greenspace?  Something the proposed hotel(s) could utilize, and much nicer for guests and office tenants to look down at. 

Hopefully it doesn't set Bank of America Stadium on fire. If it does, the greenspace on top would be good place to watch it burn. Wild thought: maybe that is Tepper's plan to get a new stadium on insurances dime? 

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-vdara-death-ray-hotel-is-still-burning-people-in-las-vegas-2016-6

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Huh? What mint st deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they mean 410 S Mint that people on the board have talked about imagining it won't be there long term.

As far as Ballpark Village or Texas Live! I agree these two concepts are by the same company an old friend of mine from HS works for, The Cordish Co.  I threw it out here on a few threads Tepper should be and wouldn't surprise me if he is in contact with them.  I don't think the practice fields are the right spot for a development like this.  But if he buys the old Duke Energy building or the aforementioned parking deck I think it'd be a great concept.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I still think residential or hotels will go on the back side of the deck.  Now while more office space may come to that block specifically corner of S Church and Stonewall that would be great. Office space means jobs.     As for the huge Duke Energy garage that is only 4-5 stories that may disappear in the future for sure.   As for the practice fields they are owned by the city of Charlotte so that is a much more complicated deal.  Mr Tepper can't just develop that as he does not own it!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I think they mean 410 S Mint that people on the board have talked about imagining it won't be there long term.

As far as Ballpark Village or Texas Live! I agree these two concepts are by the same company an old friend of mine from HS works for, The Cordish Co.  I threw it out here on a few threads Tepper should be and wouldn't surprise me if he is in contact with them.  I don't think the practice fields are the right spot for a development like this.  But if he buys the old Duke Energy building or the aforementioned parking deck I think it'd be a great concept.

Yes. Its actual name is Mint Street Parking deck.

I think that space in LU will absolutely be high-rise, but there is no reason for the first 4-8 stories of that building (at the levels where the deck blocks the other side) to be bar and restaurant and other attractions facing the stadium. Maybe a team museum and huge team store, and potentially even an entrance into the stadium from that LU deck.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1