Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I disagree. I love it. It’s literally forcing the developer to be creative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that does make them think outside of the box. The curve makes me think of of Las Vegas hotel, lol. And you're right. I could be wrong and they create one of the most unique Uptown buildings.

12 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Please tell me this has a car elevator 'cause it's gonna take FOREVER to get to any floor above say 5, no?

Make sure you're not running low on gas. Especially when everybody gets off work!!:tw_joy:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, j-man said:

Yeah that does make them think outside of the box. The curve makes me think of of Las Vegas hotel, lol. And you're right. I could be wrong and they create one of the most unique Uptown buildings.

The first thing I thought of when yall were talking about the curve is the Aria hotel in Vegas.  The first pic you posted of that curved building looked like a press tower for a football stadium lol.  But I would be down for a 30-40 story Aria looking tower.  

*Vdara is curved too, I think.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I think they mean 410 S Mint that people on the board have talked about imagining it won't be there long term.

That'll be up to whomever its sold to on a later date, presumably. Should it occur. My crystal ball is in the crystal ball repair shop this week.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The first thing I thought of when yall were talking about the curve is the Aria hotel in Vegas.  The first pic you posted of that curved building looked like a press tower for a football stadium lol.  But I would be down for a 30-40 story Aria looking tower.  

YEss!!! That would be one hell of a hotel. 

Hopefully it doesn't set Bank of America Stadium on fire. If it does, the greenspace on top would be good place to watch it burn. Wild thought: maybe that is Tepper's plan to get a new stadium on insurances dime? 
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-vdara-death-ray-hotel-is-still-burning-people-in-las-vegas-2016-6

Maybe it’ll start out as a concave curve at the base and gently transition to a convex curve towards the top (as to not permanently blind Luke Keuchley on the field. The man is made of steel, but from the neck up he’s a fabergé egg.)

OR the entire building could be a concave curve that has a screen along Mint that can retract depending on which team is facing that end zone. That would give us an unrivaled home-field advantage!
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the tallest parking garage in the Charleston area 8 levels up to the Ravenel Bridge ramps in Mt Pleasant.   Charlotte: hold my sweet tea!  But that garage in Mt Pleasant is HUGE for the lowcountry believe me.  At the Portside Office Building at Ferry Wharf between the pier and Yorktown. 
IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.ab3394e613572118e29eacd1c8b80031.JPG

People who conceive of eye sores like that should be taken out back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

For those they don't like the pyramid top today is your day it has disappeared in the fog.  Legacy 1 and Legacy 2 underway.  I think the screening on the parking garage Stonewall side looks great.  

That garage is huge from the Mt Pleasant Pier park and is as tall as the office building.  It does peek up to the downside of the Ravenel bridge.   I would have put the garage under the office building and increased the height of the office floors aka a podium design. 

Anyway Legacy without the pyramid today.  Last photo is the garage and near the site of Legacy 4. 

Yeah but that couldn't be done in Mount Pleasant with all of the flooding issues, and proximity to sea for a two that is barely above sea level. 

5 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Sure it could. See: Miami, Florida and New Orleans, Louisiana.

I highly doubt it mostly because of Charleston's restrictions, though that  is in the city of Mount Pleasant. The recent over development of homes and buildings being built in the area have caused the flooding to get even worse. I just don't see anything that large  being put underground. 

4 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Nothing would be put underground. There are many coastal cities with much worse geological situations, the entire west coast has both sandy soil and fault lines.

Yeah I know. So that's what I meant by that, but I don't understand how inland cities keep building everything above ground mostly. It may be costs or engineering complications. I don't know, but I'm not a fan of any parking garage in Charlotte unless it is hidden or nicely places and decorated.