Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

34 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Using LU's terminology, are you referring to Pad 2 (Office/Hotel/Retail) or Pad 3 (Hotel/Residential) along Mint?

Based on the Parcel number indicated: 07304C99

It appears to be "Pad 3" which they indicate as Hotel/Residential, but from what people are saying, actually might turn out to be office. 

image.png.1d49b74142e08032f49704e4b5cd3388.png

Nathan Doolittle has the 3 projects below listed as his featured work:

http://www.landdesign.com/project/uncc-epic/

http://www.landdesign.com/project/uncc-football/

http://www.landdesign.com/project/north-carolina-research-campus/

"Nate Doolittle is a Partner and Civil Engineer. Nate is responsible for leading a number of the firm’s public and private infrastructure and site development projects throughout the Southeast US. Nate has a keen understanding of public/private projects, with a wide variety of expertise in large scale developments to urban infill projects.  He also leads LandDesign’s Higher Education market with experience in educational, athletic, residential, and infrastructure campus work. His valuable experience includes a variety of large-scale mixed-use developments, campus and university work, and urban infill redevelopment that required site assessment, environmentally sustainable design, and innovative infrastructure solutions. Nate thrives in situations where he can help lead and collaborate on innovative and complicated projects, embracing the success of the team strategy and vision.  Nate works to ‘implement the projects vision, not engineer the master plan’."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

@lancer22 why did you say you had a "bad feeling about this"?

Well by now the cat is out of the bag, this is Honeywell's new HQ - it has to be. They are going to completely mess up the front door to the stadium. Could have done some awesome retail/hotel concepts but no, another boring office tower. Further cements the lifeless tire fire Legacy Union has been to this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

If this is yet another office, that block needs a massive hotel ASAP!

Could it be that the 1000 room hotel ends up being on Future Development Pad 1 or 2???

I think there is still a hotel planned at this time. But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this project will be all office, and maybe one hotel.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think there is still a hotel planned at this time. But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this project will be all office, and maybe one hotel.

I am willing to put some money that this master plan has at least one hotel, but I was wondering with such big names all in close proximity if it could support a 1000-room hotel or not.

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I am willing to put some money that this master plan has at least one hotel, but I was wondering with such big names all in close proximity if it could support a 1000-room hotel or not.

I'd be willing to bet the original master plan is completely out the window. I sat down with someone close to this project 2 or 3 years ago, and I can tell you they never intended to build 5 office towers, but thats where the market seems to be taking them.  As far as 1000 room hotel goes. Yes, it could probably support one. But it will take a significant contribution from the city and state, probably around $100M, and I think they prefer the Duke Data Center location for the hotel. 

EDIT: Also of note their marketing docs site a 800 room hotel. 

image.thumb.png.1ba115745d98ab1e396fbfb8a498433a.png

2 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

We can probably expect a building with a curved facade that will hide the parking garage one way or the other though, right?

Yes. I would imagine it will be built touching the Mint Street facing side of the parking deck

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Scribe said:

@ricky_davis_fan_21 are you referring to "PHASE 2 BUILDING PAD" in the image above?

Don't meant to toot my own horn, but did't I say this a couple weeks back.  I'm great at predictions. Trust me! lol 

27 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Well by now the cat is out of the bag, this is Honeywell's new HQ - it has to be. They are going to completely mess up the front door to the stadium. Could have done some awesome retail/hotel concepts but no, another boring office tower. Further cements the lifeless tire fire Legacy Union has been to this point.

There is still another huge section along Mint that your idea could happen on.  And that area is much lager than this Phase.