Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

30 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Interesting... So we may see the building demolished before even knowing what's going there? 

Very likely actually. The grading, demo and site prep here is a monster project in of itself. Taking down the observer building and getting the site development ready is going to take months and months.

As far as this compared to Tryon Place...a lot of the work they are doing here (minus demo) has already been done for Tryon Place.

20 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Very likely actually. The grading, demo and site prep here is a monster project in of itself. Taking down the observer building and getting the site development ready is going to take months and months.

As far as this compared to Tryon Place...a lot of the work they are doing here (minus demo) has already been done for Tryon Place.

I'm absolutely shocked that they are moving forward. Brickell took 5 years so complete, so maybe they are banking on NC to jump back. Or another outcome that i think is more realistic would be a interim parking lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

I'm absolutely shocked that they are moving forward. Brickell took 5 years so complete, so maybe they are banking on NC to jump back. Or another outcome that i think is more realistic would be a interim parking lot. 

I don't think a parking lot would be allowed under current zoning. 

I think it has to do with supply/demand. Perhaps there is a demand for what they're offering (more retailish oriented if I understand correctly which uptown is underserved)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

The market is more than ready to have office built off of speculation but the fact that 300 S Tryon and the Portman office both got off the ground before Tryon Place is making it less feasible without having an announced anchor tenant. If what was speculated about the observer site is correct, then it will have a major hotel component and uptown desperately needs more hotel rooms so I'd agree with AirNostrumMAD that the different demand for it might be the driver.

Absorption has been consistently higher than new space coming online the market for the last few years. 

Of course they might simply be prepping so they're ready to move on the project when the time comes. Demo is going to take a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

I honestly don't know if they have to do that or how long it might take, but "a little while" seems like as good a guess as any to me :)

There will likely be some due to spilled ink and oils, but it will likely mainly be digging it out and using it as landfill material in a lined landfill (foxhole possibly?).  As long as it's not affecting groundwater or surface water it can be left in place and capped over.  Due to the amount of excavation that will likely be required anyway I doubt soil remediation will significantly add to the timeline or cost.  That said I am far from an expert, so I reserve the right to be absolutely wrong about everything I just said.   

There could be some old gold mines under these 2 blocks as well if they dig deep enough. This particular area of Charlotte was a major source of gold in the 1830s 1840s and when the Stadium was built some old gold mines were discovered I think. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

I wouldn't read too much into the demo....they want to tear it down ASAP to bring down the Property Tax bill. Actually building something new is an entirely different animal.

Well that was a sobering boner killer to think that could be a possibility.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Also the fact that no proposals have been submitted to the public yet. 

Horray! New empty lot in a prominent very visible place.

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

There could be some old gold mines under these 2 blocks as well if they dig deep enough. This particular area of Charlotte was a major source of gold in the 1830s 1840s and when the Stadium was built some old gold mines were discovered I think. 

No chance. The gold mines were in South End and the one near the stadium was mostly located under what is now the Belk Freeway. The only part of that one which isn't under the freeway is in the vicinity of Cedar and Morehead.

19 minutes ago, Spartan said:

No chance. The gold mines were in South End and the one near the stadium was mostly located under what is now the Belk Freeway. The only part of that one which isn't under the freeway is in the vicinity of Cedar and Morehead.

I remember growing up and having a capped-over mine entrance shown to me over and over behind the old service station where Graham Street used to intersect Morehead. I'd love to see your map sometime. Must be a lot clearer than mine. This station was located about where the small parking lot for employees is located in the SW corner of the stadium site.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them demo the building, for the reasons uptownliving mentioned regarding tax bills, and just sit on it for a while before the master plan is approved and then executed. Given all the lots that have disappeared over the last 10 years, they could certainly make a pile of money from parking (ugh). Not sure if lewy2000 was joking or not, but Food Truck Friday would be one of the better uses for it for the time being. But lets hope it doesn't come to that :) 

I think if this were to sit around for a decade, they'd say some standard bull crap like "it's going to be mixed use, up to 500 hotel rooms," etc. 

But Johno Harris has had tight lips to the press saying he can't share any information, etc. In the airline industry, at least, that means "it's happening and sooner rather than later once everything is signed."

I could just be thinking cynically and desperatly, but I'm always suspicious and take it as good news when people are quiet.

if they do build a parking lot, hopefully at very least they could build a linear Pocket park along the blocks.