Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

There will be coffee shops, restaurants and maybe some soft goods retailers but not sure what some of you are expecting in terms of retail?  I think an Apple store would work maybe high end chain clothing store (H&M)  however many retailers are not really expanding now.  I would love a mini Belks selling some of their best selling items but mainly use the store to try on pick up online orders.  Only 2 cities in the last decade have gotten a new department store downtown that I know of :  Miami with Saks at Brickell City Center and Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus to Manhattan.   A super expensive new project like Legacy will have high rents thus most soft goods store and most non food serving stores can't  afford it. Not trying to be negative but realistic.  No mall will be built here just not gonna happen.  

Great restaurants can get suburbanites to uptown and they do now.  Retail is another story as most suburbanites have access to large malls and shopping centers with ample free parking. 

This would literally be so fantastic. Apple, H&M, urban Target and restaurants and id be beyond happy. Not saying I expect those.... just saying it’d be awesome and realistic. Wish uptown or SouthEnd could get a large movie theater. I still think an urban mall or more mall tenants could work due to parking and interstate access and SouthEnd demographics. Just my opinion.  Not to mention North Meck folks who have a poor view of NorthLake and drive all the way down to SouthPark

I feel like the last few visits to CLT,  studio movie grille was lacking hardcore on selection and showings. They, and the predecessor, used to have a lot more variety of movies and more times it seemed. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

True, I do hope more events happen at BOA (they will), but I was also referring to the stadium as a point of interest/landmark that helps attract foot traffic on non game days. I consider this a sight to see for visitors. I really wish the stadium had some sort of modern/interactive museum to honor the Panthers past, present and future. 

Public tours are actually offered on Wednesdays and Fridays and there is more flexibility for group tours and other events. A team only entering its 25th season could not have a huge museum, but you can view the two George Halas trophies we have in the cabinet and see some behind the scenes stuff that you cannot see on a game day.

Stadium Tours | Carolina Panthers

• Like 3

7 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Public tours are actually offered on Wednesdays and Fridays and there is more flexibility for group tours and other events. A team only entering its 25th season could not have a huge museum, but you can view the two George Halas trophies we have in the cabinet and see some behind the scenes stuff that you cannot see on a game day.

Stadium Tours | Carolina Panthers

The public tour is cool, but extremely limited hours though.  Plus, once you go once, you more than likely won't be back for a while.  Very true about our 25 years, however, what we lack in history, we can make up with interactive exhibits.  Football simulators or a skills challenge type area.  Could have an interactive exhibit called "The Lab" (all about football safety from youth to pro) and show that Carolina Panthers are leading the NFL in helmet safety research (they're not but just saying could be our tag line).  Could show how helmets evolved back in the day and how safety measures have progressed to today and what they could look like in the future.  We only have 25 years of history and no super bowls (yet), but you could still create a cool museum.

I visited SF last year and visited their awesome museum: http://www.levisstadium.com/museum/.  I am not a SF 49ers fan, however, I am a fan of the sport and enjoy visiting other stadiums.   You couple the team store and museum  with LU's retail...could create a very vibrant atmosphere over there.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, stw52 said:

Why not let the core of Uptown be all office with retail only to support M-F workers? Southend could become the designated shopping / entertainment district. When I think of other financial districts London (the City), Toronto  (Bay Street), and NY (Wall Street)  are all office only areas, with adjoining areas giving life outside of M-F office hours. Just a thought!

The City is a lot more than M-F office hours.  Uptown is more comparable to Canary Wharf, but even that has more retail in its mall.

12 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

The City is a lot more than M-F office hours.  Uptown is more comparable to Canary Wharf, but even that has more retail in its mall.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but in no way do I think that Uptown is comparable to Canary Wharf

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/14/arts/design/hudson-yards-nyc.html

Half of this article you could replace the worlds "Hudson Yards" with "Legacy Union." At least they got good architecture, no matter how little it blends in with the surrounding environment, and ignores the human scale. Incredible piece of journalism

Edited by Guest

51 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here are the retail spots at Legacy including the mega garage I found

Mega garage retail plan below 

https://images3.loopnet.com/d2/zHLGAOcIstdPeJKRobltkL5KNqYfsadG7ltOPhDED9E/document.pdf

Legacy 2 retail space the Deloitte tower  (that is a nice restaurant space with huge patio possibilities) 

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/dZOqRweyUfNbIhUQjfJoW2ywJOqohV_9KLg2OhjELc8/document.pdf

Legacy 1 the BOAT Bank of America Tower

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/2t33G4g5cO1CUC1OJypYzCJe1c5ZA130d5Bawxi2afM/document.pdf

Unless I’m reading it wrong, that’s an anemic amount of retail.

On Hudson Yards I can not wait to go to NYC next year and go on the open air observation deck that juts out.  I have delayed my trip to the Big Apple until it opens.  
By the way the Wall St Journal had an article hating the design of Hudson Yards too so I know I will love it in person! 
Here is another photo or two of Legacy so no one will think we are off topic.   Trailer sits at future site of Legacy 3 am I right at the corner of S Church and Stonewall?

IMG_1882.thumb.JPG.2c829762050868b02c3976fcb405e895.JPG
IMG_1883.thumb.JPG.5ad1ba4562c085d1c3ff7c3706c927e2.JPG
IMG_1885.thumb.JPG.9925b527722c6ab45f852ccba9f8ea68.JPG

Nah. That’s Legacy Union 5, I’d guess. 3, based on the parcel associated with the Presubmittals is the tiniest spot. With the curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Take photos up and down and all around. 

Mostly up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, atlrvr said:

^^^ published by the NY Times that received massive tax breaks and was able to get the local development authority to take via eminent domain many older buildings that had neighborhood tenants and lower rent apartments, so they could demolish them and build their subsidized behemoth skybox with overpriced restaurants as the only retail, to give a shiny new place for their "intellectual" writers to talk down on 90% of Americans.

but on the plus side, it sure has a fancy set of stairs for climbing

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/14/arts/design/hudson-yards-nyc.html

Half of this article you could replace the worlds "Hudson Yards" with "Legacy Union." At least they got good architecture, no matter how little it blends in with the surrounding environment, and ignores the human scale. Incredible piece of journalism

the only thing I care for is the huge artwork outside. Im not liking these "mass" developments so much. From the river view it looks horrid imo. Reminded me right away of Detroit and it's little hodge podge of sleek towers all clumped together.

However, I love how charlotte is developing over-all. I drive into the city about every other week via 85S to 77S to the brookshire and then Independence. I leave via John belk and love the new,perhaps,8-10 floor storage building as you veer towards Indy. Love John.Belk and finally noticed the sign for "1550 Uptown"? not sure of the 1550. But lovely to see the top of it over the buildings closer to 277. 

I am MOST excited for the Inter-Contintental Hotel to rise and top out. Such an amazing brand of hotel for starters, and will continue that areas poshness with The Dunhill and Iveys.

I wish The Bohemian was closer to the Blumenthal. I feel as if visitors to that hotel will walk out of its front door and kind of stand there asking themselves'What next" Oh well. 

The parking lots continue to disappear, and the Uptown population was recently estimated at roughly 30,000. Imagine what we will see take shape by 2030.

• Like 3