Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Quality design from Lincoln Harris? hahahahaha

Probably gonna be more crap. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard design will look more like EPIC at UNCC but integrated/stretched into a 20 floor tower.

I’ve heard design will look more like EPIC at UNCC but integrated/stretched into a 20 floor tower.

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Ugh.... They haven't built a building on the UNCC campus since the 90s that's half decent. Even some of the people that work in EPIC joke that if the university wanted a modern incubator building they should have just built one.

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

So all of y'all  think Legacy 2 is hideous?    I don't and of course I don't think the Legacy1 tower is bad as many of you make it out to be.  

Legacy 2 is a step up from Legacy 1, but it's a badly designed building attached to a turd, which doesn't help either building.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

So all of y'all  think Legacy 2 is hideous?    I don't and of course I don't think the Legacy1 tower is bad as many of you make it out to be.  

I didn't hate Legacy 1 until the put the pyramid on. It ruined the whole building for me.  It looked okay in renderings, but in real life the pyramid is awful.

• Haha 1

Regardless of what one thinks of LH’s work aesthetically, their business model is amazing.  They are the Related of Charlotte.  Given the roll that LH is on, I hope that they buy the Duke Fortress and build a mixed-use project there.

The Related of Charlotte? Lol. Don’t give them that much credit.

There will only be one chance for the lit pyramid to be featured on primetime this year (a Thursday night game in Week 2 against the Bucs).  Sunday Night Football has snubbed us for several years now and Monday Night Football passed on us this year too. Flex scheduling could allow one of our other games to be moved to primetime to replace a lackluster game, but I wouldn’t bet on it. I’m disappointed that the NFL did not give more attention to the Panthers vs. Jaguars game since both teams are celebrating their 25th seasons, and this is the NFL’s 100th season. The only other nationally broadcast game we have is also against the Bucs on 10/13 at 9:30 AM (since it is being played in London).  Maybe the power of the pyramid will propel us to the playoffs though so it can shine for the world to see, haha.

B3658798-6777-4332-99D3-8E9BB65F85DF.gif

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 4

Hey i have an idea for the haters...  if you hate LU , then can you post sketches of what you think would fit well at this site? Post a sketch without pyramids, or non "80s" style and we can all rate your new designs for the "former observer site" ... :) lets go!

• Haha 2

They’ve done very well in this cycle between LH, the Capitol, and Rea Farms.  They blow all other Charlotte developers, including Crescent.

Dollar for dollar, they’ve not exceeded crescent. Until they sell 620 South Tryon in 2 quarters, but by then crescent will sell all 4 Novels, be completing Ally Center, and developing 4 new projects, only the Elizabeth one so far has been announced.
Hey i have an idea for the haters...  if you hate LU , then can you post sketches of what you think would fit well at this site? Post a sketch without pyramids, or non "80s" style and we can all rate your new designs for the "former observer site" ... [emoji4] lets go!

I did that already, showed how to fix it, most agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Dollar for dollar, they’ve not exceeded crescent. Until they sell 620 South Tryon in 2 quarters, but by then crescent will sell all 4 Novels, be completing Ally Center, and developing 4 new projects, only the Elizabeth one so far has been announced.
I did that already, showed how to fix it, most agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point.  Then again, isn’t Crescent largely a residential developer?  

Good point.  Then again, isn’t Crescent largely a residential developer?  

Crescent develops based on what market demands. But way more goes into their plans than plugging in a tower. They get together and figure out what works in a community, and how they can affect positive change. Sure their stuff might end up getting VEd but they come up with awesome ideas and try their best to implement them. This is much more in line with Related than Lincoln Harris ever will be.

Lincoln Harris is absolutely incredible for pulling off Deloitte, BofA, Honeywell and I imagine more. All pretty much around the same time. That’s incredible. I expected it to drag way on for decades for this vision to pan out and it’s panning out at lightning speed.

Legacy Union is an extremely transformative time for uptown, I think, as it solidifies uptown as the employment hub of the region with as of now, a Fortune 24, Fortune 77 and Fortune 26 anchoring large towers with presumably more development imminent at this site. Hats off to Harris.

I don’t think another developer in this region could pull that off. 

I don’t agree with that last statement. With a Goldman Sachs backing any number of local developers and a ton of regional developer could pull this off. Crescent, Childress Klein and maybe Spectrum locally.

Now that Crescent is backed by Sumitomo they could have easily done it.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Lincoln Harris is absolutely incredible for pulling off Deloitte, BofA, Honeywell and I imagine more. All pretty much around the same time. That’s incredible. I expected it to drag way on for decades for this vision to pan out and it’s panning out at lightning speed.

Legacy Union is an extremely transformative time for uptown, I think, as it solidifies uptown as the employment hub of the region with as of now, a Fortune 24, Fortune 77 and Fortune 26 anchoring large towers with presumably more development imminent at this site. Hats off to Harris.

I don’t think another developer in this region could pull that off. 

80% of it was they brought the space to market at just the right time and were already starting construction while still negotiating leases. The same way Bissel got all those people to Ballantyne. It wasn't because the corporate park was an amazing location with amazing amenities, it was because they could say, "you need 200k square feet? You can move in 6mo from today."

• Like 3