Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

45 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I assume the inside has already been cleared out? Or is that part of the demo process?

Are the old printing presses still there? Where is the paper printed today?

The paper is printed in University City at a plant purchased from Dow Jones (back in 2014, I believe).

2 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I remember growing up and having a capped-over mine entrance shown to me over and over behind the old service station where Graham Street used to intersect Morehead. I'd love to see your map sometime. Must be a lot clearer than mine. This station was located about where the small parking lot for employees is located in the SW corner of the stadium site.

My info comes from a 2005 study done by NC State for NCDENR to map areas that could have hazards for development. It seems like its pretty accurate. The important thing with this map is that the blue square indicate where mine shafts used to be, and the yellow lines were the approximate locations of tunnels. Red shading is the quartz vein that also produced gold ore. Blue shading represents areas that have been filled in or covered up. The Belk presumably wiped out most of the St Catherine mine (assuming there was anything left).

This just shows where things used to be. I'm not clear on what may or may not still remain in terms of tunnels and shafts. I've heard people talk about where they might be, but I've never seen one in person. Not that I'm an expert - I'm just stating my experience.

cltstcatherinemine.PNG

• Like 3

well it looks like the old St Catherines mine is just about a block away from the Lincoln Harris and GS site so who knows? This is an exciting project and like someone said the site work is huge on these blocks and maybe that is why they want to get started.

• Like 1

Snapped this a few weeks ago.  Can you imagine the quality of the pedestrian experience throughout this whole area?  Hopefully developers consider what the Panthers have already done, and try and mimic/improve that design.  I know it's far away, but you have to get excited years in advance if you want to make money off it!

IMG_0043.JPG

That lot across mint is screaming for a building with bars and restaurants. From here to the ballpark should be an entertainment district perfect for strolling. Bring in the cheesy stuff too, Dave and Busters, maybe one of those ESPN bars/restaurants. This type of stuff would further improve the fan experience for football and baseball fans alike.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

That lot across mint is screaming for a building with bars and restaurants. From here to the ballpark should be an entertainment district perfect for strolling. Bring in the cheesy stuff too, Dave and Busters, maybe one of those ESPN bars/restaurants. This type of stuff would further improve the fan experience for football and baseball fans alike.

Wholeheartedly agree. One thing I've wanted to see is for a bunch of our local CLT breweries to get together and create a brewhouse that serves nothing but their local beer. Nothing huge in terms of brewing capacity but enough to create some special collaborative beers along with your typical OMB Copper, NoDa HDnR, Birdsong Jalapeno Ale, etc. I think a concept like this would be great for game days and other events that take place at both stadiums. 

14 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

That was Charlotte Agenda's idea for the building that was going to be Chupitos. 

Not exactly.  The author of the Agenda article was suggesting it was a good spot for a satellite location for an existing brewery.  

Quote: " Personally, I would love nothing more than for a local brewery to have a satellite location in this space to open its presence Uptown. "

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/49134/400-s-graham-chupitos-tin-kitchen-co-founder/

I would happily take any of the 3 ideas: 1) satellite location for a brewery, 2) multi-brewery charlotte-only taproom, 3) multi-brewery collaborative brewhouse and taproom.  Either at the Chupitos location or anywhere in that ward.  

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Not exactly.  The author of the Agenda article was suggesting it was a good spot for a satellite location for an existing brewery.  

Quote: " Personally, I would love nothing more than for a local brewery to have a satellite location in this space to open its presence Uptown. "

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/49134/400-s-graham-chupitos-tin-kitchen-co-founder/

I would happily take any of the 3 ideas: 1) satellite location for a brewery, 2) multi-brewery charlotte-only taproom, 3) multi-brewery collaborative brewhouse and taproom.  Either at the Chupitos location or anywhere in that ward.  

#3 was really my thought... But Charlotte only breweries being involved. 

One would hope LH saves the historic Observer granite headline plaques and somehow incorporate them into the new project. Maybe even keep them on the same corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2246059,-80.8496519,3a,58y,248.97h,79.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk-1KHUjnnbuWMdzk7uxQVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by UPNoDa
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

One would hope LH saves the historic Observer granite headline plaques and somehow incorporate them into the new project. Maybe even keep them on the same corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2246059,-80.8496519,3a,58y,248.97h,79.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk-1KHUjnnbuWMdzk7uxQVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

These are already removed from the walls.  I think the Observer folks took with them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Great observation.  That would look really nice and be a nice reminder 30 years down the road.

15 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Great observation.  That would look really nice and be a nice reminder 30 years down the road.

Commemorating the death of print media. Maybe a Tombstone would be more appropriate. 

27 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Here we go: $4.2 million in demo permits issued for the entire site. Wow that's a lot. 

Assuming that includes industrial brownfield remediation (and probably asbestos remediation), it actually doesn't seem like that much for a building that big.