Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Not my picture - but since when has the mound of dirt next to the parking deck been named Mt. Reinhardt? There's even a marker for it on Google Maps...
Capture.thumb.PNG.db607621a3574b1bc126bc04c9f1531b.PNG

Been a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Flag up on the “west” face...

Edit to add: Btw, I think I’ve changed my mind; it might’ve looked better without the sign but I reserve the right to change it again  

6A3A4653-8570-4237-850E-F0E14A321D6A.jpeg

That looks like a high school shop class student designed it (the signage).  They shoulda moved the lettering blow that first set of windows and slightly enlarged the flag in the center of the level it's on now.  OR, a flag on both sides in the setbacks, and enlarge the lettering where it is now.

Edited by TheMightyBK

1 hour ago, TheMightyBK said:

That looks like a high school shop class student designed it (the signage).  They shoulda moved the lettering blow that first set of windows and slightly enlarged the flag in the center of the level it's on now.  OR, a flag on both sides in the setbacks, and enlarge the lettering where it is now.

Its how the logo is designed though, there are the brand standards that have to be meet so options like that aren't feasible unfortunately.

2 hours ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

If the pyramid could have just grown to the outer edges of the buildings footprint the proportions would have been MUCH better. Missed opportunity. Looks poorly designed. Should have caught this in early massing studies. 

Exactly!  I generally like the building from a distance, but the proportions of the pyramid to the top of the structure look way off from certain vantage points.   I read several pages back where the architects weren't big fans of the design either, but this is what the client wanted.  The customer is always right I suppose!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Appears the architects could not decide how to cap the building so went with low cost tent.

Wow you're so right. It literally looks like they didn't bother to finish the top of the building so they just plopped a disproportionate pyramid on top and called it a day.

15 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Wow you're so right. It literally looks like they didn't bother to finish the top of the building so they just plopped a disproportionate pyramid on top and called it a day.

I actually disagree. In my view, LH pushed it because they had an idea that it should look like 525 N Tryon

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

What I don’t like about the pyramid is that it is a completely different color from the rest of the building. Really noticeable in the afternoon to sunset. 

However I noticed on cloudy days it actually disappears and blends into the clouds.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lancer22 said:

I actually disagree. In my view, LH pushed it because they had an idea that it should look like 525 N Tryon

I'm definitely not saying it wasn't deliberate in it's design but it just looks like such an afterthought. I still love this building overall but that picture posted by @CLT_King shows a point of view that really accentuates the difference in style/vibe/massing that the pyramid has (in a negative way).

• Like 2

Here is the latest very confusing promenade arrangement. No clue what this means for the future arrangement of this site. Its kinda bizarre. 

image.thumb.png.283a1e917e3c602891e16d42cf75ff52.png

image.thumb.png.0737d4e84853da74f1aff21fa32fa096.png

Edited by Guest