Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

55 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Man, I was literally going to post something like that earlier this morning.  With how the market is going and companies relocating to LU, if the residential aspect got 86-ed.  I think LH & Co have a "plan" but nothing is set in stone.  If a company came in and said they want to build x tower on a vacant parcel, they would be open to the idea.  I would be okay with that (no resi) if they built a high-end 30+ story hotel on site, although I would still prefer if there was both hotel/resi on site.  My work place doesn't allow me to view legacyunioncharlotte.com anymore for some reason lol but depending upon how you break up those remaining parcels, still have a lot of tower options to still build a residential, I would think.  

I think the addition of 800 more parking spaces shows that they never anticipated to build so much office.  Residential doesn't require as much parking spots as office.

Original plan was somewhere around 1.5M sq feet office, 1000-1200 residential, 800-1000 hotel, and 250k+ retail. 

Now I'd guess we are going to be 2.5M sq feet office, 800-1000 hotel, 150-200k retail, and maybe squeeze in 200 residents somewhere, but I doubt it.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Now I'd guess we are going to be 2.5M sq feet office, 800-1000 hotel, 150-200k retail, and maybe squeeze in 200 residents somewhere, but I doubt it.

If that is the case, maybe we will see residential as part of Duke old HQ/parking deck redevelopment.  It would be even more justified by then, with addition of  4M sq ft of office development within a block. I know it isn't exactly center stage, but it would also be interesting if the city/panthers added some residential as part of the practice fields redevelopment.  I assume it will has some mixed-use composition.

9 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

If that is the case, maybe we will see residential as part of Duke old HQ/parking deck redevelopment.  It would be even more justified by then, with addition of  4M sq ft of office development within a block. I know it isn't exactly center stage, but it would also be interesting if the city/panthers added some residential as part of the practice fields redevelopment.  I assume it will has some mixed-use composition. 

I want to see some high rise residential (20+ floors) jump 277...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I want to see some high rise residential (20+ floors) jump 277...

I think you will get your wish, next cycle. The only residential project this size across 277 that I know about, seems to be tabled, speaking that a new business opened up in place of Southend Crossfit last month.

7 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

What I would love to see is the entertainment district built on the north side of the stadium, connectivity improved at least a little, and dense residential (preferably with A LOT of brick) to the west/northwest of the new IT spot uptown. 

There need to be street facing bars and restaurants with outdoor areas, which is tough to pull off considering the land value. But I think it would need to be connecting the Church Street bars along the park (Latta Arcade, Ink N Ivy), kick-start the area where the current stadium deck and Brutalist Duke Energy are, and connect with the mint side retail of LU.

• Like 1

Also just to add, because I don't want to sound like a jerk. I get the "classic look" vibe they were going for... and I appreciate that LU1 / BOAT is a modern approximation of that style.

We'll never have the great buildings of 80-100 years ago for a lot of different reasons. It's just sad (to me, personally) when you compare what we have built in the past to what gets built today.

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
words
  • Like 2