Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

Is anything planned here in the immediate future....maybe a 40 ish story Hyatt? 

Theres nothing "imminent." per se... Johnny has talked about a 1000 room hotel at conferences, and the Lincoln Harris marketing collateral USED TO, BUT NO LONGER refer to a 800 room hotel. This space has been marketed as a 500k sq foot office tower since 2016 though. So who knows. 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Theres nothing "imminent." per se... Johnny has talked about a 1000 room hotel at conferences, and the Lincoln Harris marketing collateral USED TO refer to a 800 room hotel. This space has been marketed as a 500k sq foot office tower since 2016 though. So who knows. 

I'm going to riot if this is a 500K sf office building.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lancer22 said:

I'm going to riot if this is a 500K sf office building.

especially with them marketing the first 4 floors of it as 48k sq foot office floor plates. 

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a the listing and if I was a commercial broker I would call them up and see.   I do think they had it in there to generate interest and it seemed to work LOL with the proposed Legacy 3 and 2 already underway 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/600-S-Tryon-St-Charlotte-NC/7144957/

So yes it is a 504k 16 story building if this listing is accurate. 

Does that have a few lower floors dedicated to retail? So maybe 22ish after lobby and retail?

11 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Does that have a few lower floors dedicated to retail? So maybe 22ish after lobby and retail?

I don't think this is what's going to be built there, was just stating that this is what was previously advertised for this space, dating back 2 years.  They'd be silly NOT to have a concentration of retail. I'd imagine a good portion of Stonewall will have street front retail.

21 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I dont think this is what will be built there just to advertise possibilities.  Just listed on loopnet to generate interest I think. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It’s odd that 3 of the 4 LU office towers are pretty short.  I wonder if that’s all that the zoning would allow.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s odd that 3 of the 4 LU office towers are pretty short.  I wonder if that’s all that the zoning would allow.

zoning is unlimited. and again, I was stating that this is what has been MARKETED for 4, as of 2 years ago. I highly doubt something this short gets built here. Legacy Union 3 will be around 310 feet, that's really not THAT short.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

zoning is unlimited. and again, I was stating that this is what has been MARKETED for 4, as of 2 years ago. I highly doubt something this short gets built here. Legacy Union 3 will be around 310 feet, that's really not THAT short.

I had assumed that all of these towers would have been at least 500 feet.    Anyway, I think it’s coming out beautifully.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I had assumed that all of these towers would have been at least 500 feet.    Anyway, I think it’s coming out beautifully.

Then you would have been planning on not having a single hotel or residential tower, and committing to something like 5.5M sq feet of office space, and needing gosh, I dunno, 8000 parking spaces?

Unless we get a 1500 room hotel, a 600 unit apartment tower, or a SunTrust HQ, I doubt there will be something else over 500 feet.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then you would have been planning on not having a single hotel or residential tower, and committing to something like 5.5M sq feet of office space, and needing gosh, I dunno, 8000 parking spaces?

Unless we get a 1500 room hotel, a 600 unit apartment tower, or a SunTrust HQ, I doubt there will be something else over 500 feet.

But does it really need 8,000 parking spaces? It's one block from a transit station.

9 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

But does it really need 8,000 parking spaces? It's one block from a transit station.

Really, they'd probably build 10,000. And in their defense, that transit station connects to a transit system that comfortably serves what, 15-20% of the population of the city?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Miesian Corners said:

We do have a fairly substantial bus system...

yep, agreed. However, there needs to be a pretty big paradigm shift in transit ridership before you see any developer decrease the amount of parking they are building. And yes I agree that removing parking NEEDS to be part of the paradigm shift, but development in Charlotte is reactionary. 

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

^ All I'm saying is that if you give people parking, they will need it. If you don't, they'll find a way to get there--especially if it's for work. 

and I 100% agree. But the answer isn't changing the developers, its changing the rules.

Edited by Guest

I don't think all the towers on this site need to be massive...I rather like the Deloitte Tower (much prefer it over the BOAT) and it will have great street appeal as it is built over the sidewalk and hangs out over Tryon from what it looks like in the renderings.  I just wish 1100 S. Tryon was opposite this development on the other side of 277...they would have complemented each other nicely.  Speaking of...are there any plans for the lots between 1100 S. Tryon and 277?  That would go a long way to extending the urban core into Southend and jump the freeway.

Also, what is the latest on the Honeywell/LU3 tower?  I'm interested to see how the building interacts with the curve of Mint Street opposite the stadium.  Could be great...could be awful LOL.