Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

8 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

^ All I'm saying is that if you give people parking, they will need it. If you don't, they'll find a way to get there--especially if it's for work. 

If you don’t provide it they will look elsewhere.

If not uptown then anytown.  

What makes a site so attractive it doesn’t matter how much parking there is?  That’s the million dollar question.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then you would have been planning on not having a single hotel or residential tower, and committing to something like 5.5M sq feet of office space, and needing gosh, I dunno, 8000 parking spaces?

Unless we get a 1500 room hotel, a 600 unit apartment tower, or a SunTrust HQ, I doubt there will be something else over 500 feet.

There’s about 10m sf of office space under construction (or just built) in the “ .,, Yards” alone in a city that shall not be mentioned, and not one parking space was allocated.   There are also plans for about another 10 m sf of office space around a “grand” train station with not one parking space planned.  Around 8m sf was built around a development called the “.., Trade Center” with 2.8m sf more to come and yet, no garages.  The Queen doesn’t need so much parking.

Edited by SydneyCarton

If you don’t provide it they will look elsewhere.
If not uptown then anytown.  
What makes a site so attractive it doesn’t matter how much parking there is?  That’s the million dollar question.  

Bingooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s about 10m sf of office space under construction (or just built) in the “ .,, Yards” alone in a city that shall not be mentioned, and not one parking space was allocated.   There are also plans for about another 10 m sf of office space around a “grand” train station with not one parking space planned.  Around 8m sf was built around a development called the “.., Trade Center” with 2.8m sf more to come and yet, no garages.  The Queen doesn’t need so much parking.

Heh. I live 6 miles from Times Square. In 1883 NYC opened its first cable car transit line. It’s gone from cable car, to streetcar, to elevated train, to subway. Routes have been created, rerouted, expanded and redeveloped. Entire separate rail transit companies competed against each other for riders. It was a business, and it was expanded like one. The point is, it will take at least a generation before Charlotte can get anywhere near that point, and by then... is transit even going to be the best option? Who knows.

Wife, upon reading over my shoulder: “Space cars!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

After looking at this project yesterday, I do like the BofA building at ground level.  The entrance from Tryon looks impressive.  I like the upper part of the building, just not as good as Ally across the street.  The lighting is kind of cool, especially with Duke’s light show next door.

i hope the undeveloped corner on S Tryon is built sooner and does not get moth balled for a while due to an economic downturn. Would like to see a building about 3/4 as tall as BofA with a lot of street level interests.....plaza, fountains, retail.....

I’d like a plaza with fountains, but I don’t think that any water features are planned.

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

when Charlotte gets the kind of transit system of rail, commuter rail etc that NYC has it then I think the garages will disappear but comparing us to the most dense urban city in the USA is not a fair comparison.

When Charlotte has the transit system that NYC has ... it’ll have the worst transit system in the world.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Angry Birds was playing this morning as I waited forever just to cross Stonewall.  And, for the first time, it was kind of nice being stuck in traffic.

hahahahaha