Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

I'm trying to visualize what that will even look like.   It'll be a podium for office that backs up to this garage correct?  How many spaces is FNB's going to be?  Is it going to be comparable in size?

From what I read its an 800 space, 350k sq foot extension to the deck bumping it out toward mint, hence why this side isn't finished. Then the 11 or 12 floors of office above it.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

From what I read its an 800 space, 350k sq foot extension to the deck bumping it out toward mint, hence why this side isn't finished. Then the 11 or 12 floors of office above it.

Holy shyte this is going to be awful

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Holy shyte this is going to be awful

Type 1-A commercial tower containing 23 floors with a typical floor plate of roughly 30,000 SF, for a total of approximately 663,600 SF .  Retail and service areas occupy the ground floor, followed by 12 floors of parking at Levels 2-13, and Office for the remaining floors to Level 23. The building tops out at 306'-8" and is sprinklered per NFPA 13. 

O would be somewhat ok with the parking deck if this development  an urban mall to attract people from the suburbs and tourists. Since it seems this development will mostly be office, I am highly disappointed with the deck being as huge as it is and will be after expansion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DamicoKaren said:

They are really going to need to add a left turning light at the Mint and Morehead intersection after this is completed. Trying to turn left at that light is a nightmare. 

One is needed at Morehead and S Tryon as well.  Turning left means watching oncoming traffic, pedestrians crossing Morehead, bikes and scooters.  

This honestly happened, the only value in waiting forever is the occasional fight between strippers at the Cabernet.  Saw one move onto the sidewalk before a bouncer broke it up.   No punches were thrown, just a lot of drinks. 

I have a theory that somewhere in the past 5-8 years an industry analyst must have written a report linking the modern trend of putting more office workers per square foot with a need for higher parking ratios. (Forgetting that there is also a corresponding trend for not all workers to actually show up at the office on any given day.) Though cities haven't upped parking requirements to match, lenders have latched on and are refusing to fund office buildings without enormous parking structures to go with them.

7 hours ago, orulz said:

I have a theory that somewhere in the past 5-8 years an industry analyst must have written a report linking the modern trend of putting more office workers per square foot with a need for higher parking ratios. (Forgetting that there is also a corresponding trend for not all workers to actually show up at the office on any given day.) Though cities haven't upped parking requirements to match, lenders have latched on and are refusing to fund office buildings without enormous parking structures to go with them.

I don't have any empirical data to back this up but I suspect this trend is limited to smaller cities and is the result of several factors:

1) cities rapidly developing on surface lots

2) higher density floorplans

3) lack of a robust public transit system

• Like 2

4 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Sorry for the blurry in-motion picture, but sharing it to show that the pyramid is actually lit a darker blue than what it looks like on the construction camera, in uniform with the other blue lighting on the building.

4A7AE518-9D1D-46D6-87EA-9FEAFF1B6AA7.jpeg.49494ae54f6e7f07f2a01b31e155fbe5.jpeg

This lighting has got to go. I was with friends tonight. We were all in the car passing by uptown and everyone was talking about how awful that color scheme looked. It has to go back to one color! 

1 hour ago, JorgiPorgi said:

This lighting has got to go. I was with friends tonight. We were all in the car passing by uptown and everyone was talking about how awful that color scheme looked. It has to go back to one color! 

I agree that the building looks better lit in one solid color at a time, though I do hope to see bold colors used frequently. I don’t really have a problem using this Red, White, and Blue scheme for Memorial Day or the 4th of July, though I think it would be cooler for the lighting to rotate between the solid red, white, and blue lighting every few seconds. I’m looking forward to seeing what  they come up with for Panthers primetime games, though we only have one scheduled for the regular season this year.  The Panthers vs. Jaguars game was a missed opportunity for the NFL to celebrate the 25th seasons of each team while also celebrating the 100th season of the NFL, but oh well. Maybe they will flex a game.

D76EE3C2-F7CD-4288-879E-08E50DDF9338.thumb.jpeg.468e87556906e797786f882ff782c494.jpeg

4 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Yet another reason to tear it down and start all over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this building Legacy 1 is not even open don't you think they are just testing all this lighting right now?  The offices are not even open yet I think what we are seeing is testing of the capabilities.    

300 South Tryon has a dynamic lighting system too but I have not seen it lit up every night only on special occasions.  Does anyone really know this building will be lit up regularly beyond the top?

I just think everyone is talking  about something they might just be testing.    But the one thing it has everyone talking about it and that might be goal too. 

That’s right and it probably is just testing as another member noted. I found this video of multicolored lighting being tested on the DEC around the time it finished construction.

Source

• Like 4