Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I’ve kept relatively Quiet in LU 1 design. This is freaking awful. It looks like it deserves to be surrounded by parking lots in Alpharetta, GA. Pathetic design. What a truely abysmal way to tie stadium to this project. Shame on Honeywell and Lincoln Harris. TRASH. So much for ground level retail or any semblance of urban design.  

• Like 2

Deleted 

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Deck screening is something that is really expected, and can be costed into Commercial buildings. Its not expected on apartment buildings, hence Atherton, Ascent, etc. 

That’s good news.  This building looks fantastic.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I’ve kept relatively Quiet in LU 1 design. This is freaking awful. It looks like it deserves to be surrounded by parking lots in Alpharetta, GA. Pathetic design. What a truely abysmal way to tie stadium to this project. Shame on Honeywell and Lincoln Harris. TRASH. So much for ground level retail or any semblance of urban design.  

Its got a whole lot of ground floor retail, actually. 

7 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

It can be done...these are all parking decks...for the longest time when I first moved here, I had no idea the bottom part of the Avenue was parking.  These are the best two that come to mind.

One Wells Fargo and 300 South Brevard also have fantastically screened parking decks. 

Edited by Guest

Imagine relocating from New Jersey, doing the dog and pony show for six months and settling on this as your HQ when there are so many other great projects out there.

Also, petition to name this building the dehumidifier.

Edited by lancer22
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Imagine relocating from New Jersey, doing the dog and pony show for six months and settling on this as your HQ when there are so many other great projects out there.

Also, petition to name this building the dehumidifier.

Honestly, the people moving from NJ will be elated to find houses that cost half the money and have property taxes that are at least $10k per year cheaper.   (And have utilities that cost way less per month too.)

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

There will always be some elements of a new tower that people don’t like.  Many people are complaining about this new 1,400 foot tower proposed yesterday for Facebook’s office for some unknown city on the East Coast.

Personally, I like the Honeywell Tower, and I’m glad that they chose Uptown and not another spot in the QC.

3F14A00C-CCB4-42BD-9491-F3278BE10EF8.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, queensguy06 said:

I believe it is all parking deck.  From the couple articles just released Honeywell will occupy all of the office space in the building and that space is 280k sq.ft., which indicates that the lower half of this building is parking.  I'll save my judgement on the parking portion until more detailed renderings come out.  While you can dress up a deck, you still need open air ventilation on every level for car exhaust.

You can use fans to ventilate enclosed parking levels that don't have enough open area on the exterior walls to provide natural ventilation.  That's what is used for the first five levels of the main parking deck. 

5 minutes ago, CLT-704 said:

You can use fans to ventilate enclosed parking levels that don't have enough open area on the exterior walls to provide natural ventilation.  That's what is used for the first five levels of the main parking deck. 

That's true, but I believe many other code requirements kick in if you enclose a parking deck. Connected elevators and stairs, for example, would need to be fire-protected. They don't typically have to be in open parking decks. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

That's true, but I believe many other code requirements kick in if you enclose a parking deck. Connected elevators and stairs, for example, would need to be fire-protected. They don't typically have to be in open parking decks. 

The elevator & stairwell shafts would already be 2-hour rated since they serve a high rise building.   

Definitely a similar building, but Honeywell contextually fits much better than Hyatt Place / Fahrenheit, which is on an island in the middle of parking lots and underdeveloped land.   To offer my unsolicited opinion, I hated the proportions on LU1, but I really like Honeywell.  It isn't progressive, but it is different, increases density, brings a Fortune 100 Uptown, and I am a sucker for (well-done) brick.  I don't like the brick on the deck though, and it looks like it might match.  Regardless, I like the building, and I think it would be a cool place to work honestly (location-wise - Uptown, across from the stadium, not too far from light rail).

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

I didn't think anything could be worse than LU1.  Oh so wrong.

I just don't understand Honeywell, they had an opportunity with this move to bring their culture into the 21st century.  It does not seem to fit their stated goal to attract the kind of people they want.  I'd take any of the proposed big office developments in SouthEnd over this if I was them.

My sister has been interviewing with Honeywell for a few weeks now and she sent me an IG post with the building and a frown face.  

Edited by navigator319

2 minutes ago, CLT-704 said:

The elevator & stairwell shafts would already be 2-hour rated since they serve a high rise building.   

If they are only in the parking deck & don't serve the high rise directly, then normally they can be open & unrated. Not sure how this one is laid out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I didn't think anything could be worse than LU1.  Oh so wrong.

I just don't understand Honeywell, they had an opportunity with this move to bring their culture into the 21st century.  It does not seem to fit their stated goal to attract the kind of people they want.  I'd take any of the proposed big office developments in SouthEnd over this if I was them.

My sister has been interviewing with Honeywell for a few weeks now and she sent me an IG post with the building and a frown face.  

I suspect that Honeywell didn't want to pay a lot for the space.  I think that this is a beautiful tower for what will presumably rent at less than $45/sf.