Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Overall I'm fine with it. Is what it is. I'm not going to complain about a Corporate HQ, even when I don't think the building is befitting of a technology company

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I suspect that Honeywell didn't want to pay a lot for the space.  I think that this is a beautiful tower for what will presumably rent at less than $45/sf.

Not to sound too much like a know it all A hole, but Honeywell's rent is at or above $45/sf, making it one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, lease in Charlotte history.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

There will always be some elements of a new tower that people don’t like.  Many people are complaining about this new 1,400 foot tower proposed yesterday for Facebook’s office for some unknown city on the East Coast.

Personally, I like the Honeywell Tower, and I’m glad that they chose Uptown and not another spot in the QC.

3F14A00C-CCB4-42BD-9491-F3278BE10EF8.jpeg

That is the worst tower ever designed in history. My goodness

In regards to parking deck facades - sure, there is a possibility this will be a high end facade in the likes of Hearst, One Wells Fargo, Avenue, etc.  But those buildings are all over 30+ stories tall.  The additional building costs per square foot go up quite significantly on a much shorter building not just from the facade but the additional elements needed to build an enclosed deck that @tozmervo and @CLT-704 have mentioned.  Maybe Honeywell is willing to pay that cost since they are the only tenant in this building, but it would not surprise me at all to see a deck more on par with Hyatt Place over by the Arena.  It looks nice enough, but there is definitely a distinction between the garage and the hotel when looking at the building.  And I worry this will only be amplified backing up to the large existing parking deck as an extension.  I could be wrong - maybe @ricky_davis_fan_21 has more insight on the actual garage facade/construction?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I respect others' opinions, but I can't fathom the hate for this tower.  It's mediocre at worst, but I personally think that the materials and shape look great.

My only slight problem is the logo. That’s it. 

It looks fine. It’ll be nice contrast to the rest of stonewall. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

In regards to parking deck facades - sure, there is a possibility this will be a high end facade in the likes of Hearst, One Wells Fargo, Avenue, etc.  But those buildings are all over 30+ stories tall.  The additional building costs per square foot go up quite significantly on a much shorter building not just from the facade but the additional elements needed to build an enclosed deck that @tozmervo and @CLT-704 have mentioned.  Maybe Honeywell is willing to pay that cost since they are the only tenant in this building, but it would not surprise me at all to see a deck more on par with Hyatt Place over by the Arena.  It looks nice enough, but there is definitely a distinction between the garage and the hotel when looking at the building.  And I worry this will only be amplified backing up to the large existing parking deck as an extension.  I could be wrong - maybe @ricky_davis_fan_21 has more insight on the actual garage facade/construction?

From my completely unscientific opinion. 

It appears the top is the same glass curtain as Legacy Union 1. 

The bottom half looks like a mix between spandrel glass and possibly metal louvres. You can see that the top part is highly reflective, but on the bottom half, only half height panel windows are minimally reflective, and then another panel is not really reflective at all. The brick is definitely the same brick as the parking deck, and the details. appear to be precast. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

My only slight problem is the logo. That’s it. 

It looks fine. It’ll be nice contrast to the rest of stonewall. 

I think people got their hopes up for a super-sleek and modern design when they found out a Fortune 100 company in the tech sector was going to be anchoring a building in Uptown.   This building is not bad in my opinion, but nobody could describe it as modern, sleek, unique, or even interesting.  Its a little disappointing that this is going to be immediately fronting BOA Stadium, but its also better than what was there prior. 

I personally am just relieved to see how well the garage is hidden.  I was worried that they would do something like FNB, which isn't terrible but definitely makes it obvious that the building is hiding a big garage.  Overall, I think its a big positive for Uptown and it will go a long way in extending Stonewall and Mint for pedestrians.  Heres to hoping that we can get some bars that front the stadium with some patios!  If we are going to get rid of all the tailgating space, we need to make sure the people have somewhere to go.

• Like 4

I am very mixed on this, I really don’t like brick on a high rise building.  I was hoping for something with more interest....angles & glass.... especially with 70k people crossing by the site at least 10 Sunday’s per year.....hopefully more with a soccer team.  Maybe I’ll like it when it is finished, but as of now, this should be in Ballantyne.

on the positive side, it blocks the parking deck and makes the entrance on 277 look a lot more dense.  And, with all of this office space, a hotel can’t be far behind somewhere on site.  

• Like 1

Curve it around Mint street and remove the Honeywell logo on the glass portion of the building and this comes across as a great addition. As it currently is designed, seeing how there is already a big disconnect in the deck screening as it is rendered early on, I have a feeling it will be completely disconnected between the portions of the building and look worse than the rendering.. Another difference between the platform garage below Hearst and this is that the majority of Hearst is actual commercial space, not 1/2 of it! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Wonder if this will have Fahrenheit’s sister restaurant, “Celsius”, on the top floor? 

I heard it'll be referred to as "KELVIN"