Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I actually like it based on the renderings.  The one big question mark in my mind is what will the screening for the parking deck addition look like in reality.  In the rendering it almost looks like the glass; however the rendering is a bit cartoonish and may look starkly different from what is built.  Overall though, much better that what I was expecting based on Lancer’s and RDF’s comments.

Edited by cltbwimob

The exterior is brick. I have literally read 2 of the  habitual complainers complain brick is not used enough.
If this was glass it would be too matchy matchy.
If this was Efis the turtles or squirrels or whatever would die when the styrofoam cup residue floats to the ground.
If this was limestone like the Jonas addition, it would be “soooooo boring” and tall limestone buildings can’t be pulled off and modernism is bla bla bla bla....
I’m pretty sure the only thing that will make them happy is if someone started some mining expedition to locate granite quarries that produced rock in 100 different shades so that all new buildings would be high quality material like BOA corporate but god forbid not match one another.
I would also confidently bet not one of them regularly attends city planning forums or spends one ounce of energy to develop their opinion into one that actually matters, like running for a city planning position or public office.
I have no problem with a difference in opinion. My problem is that if you do have one, why not do something with your time which brings about change or provide an actual solution that is economically feasible? Simply going on a web forum and stating something is ugly is not helpful to anyone, why not position your comment in a way that states pros and cons so that adjustments can be made (assuming that someone matters is listening, it would probably be way more effective to start investigating how to petition the project or email someone that matters instead).
Oh and my favorite, requesting a newly constructed building to be demolished because it isn’t aesthetically pleasing to you... that is not only an absolute waste of energy, it’s  ridiculous. 

The person who said to demolish it wrote it in a blue font. Aka sarcasm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that tower is really beautiful.   I like the brick and glass, and the roofline is very cool.

I'm also impressed by the wide array of styles at LU.

clt5june.jpg

The lower floors seem to have glass windows, so I’m curious how the garage is ventilated.

P.S.: All of the greenery around this tower looks great too.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Lol! Yes, one of the tear down comments were in blue. Here is one that isn’t. And I’m sure if I cared I could find more.

Fair.
But I don’t think any of us are asking for Burj Dubai. I think we are just looking for Class A, coherent, well proportioned architecture. This is not that. This is grade C.

We know the brick isn’t nice, because its not nice on the deck.

We know that the sandblasted precast details aren’t nice because they aren’t nice on any piece of this development.

I give this building a B- overall.

Its got great retail, check, it does an okay job masking a massive deck, check. Its sort of has a unique roof design, though the slanted in part is awkward, a clear afterthought.

It passes. But why and the hell can’t we expect great architecture. LS3P is a great firm, I just don’t understand why they can’t make Lincoln Harris’ vision look at least proportionate.

I can’t help but look at the Kimpton and think of what could have been. There’s a natural curve in this road, its a damn shame they didn’t incorporate that into the vision. Even if they are sold on brick its doable.

I don’t see why we can’t expect better.

I’m sorry if you think my post was directed at you, I assure you it was not. You have been one of the most forthcoming, insightful, productive members of this thread. Also, if one person on this forum has actually articulated themselves properly with every project, it would be you.
My comment was in no way geared at any negative comment expressed by any other member with thought out, constructive criticism. It was geared toward the “This is trash” with no substance posters.
I am by no means praising this project, but I do not think anyone that is an architect that worked on it and happens to stumble upon this thread deserves someone to completely sum up their hard work with such a comment in such a demeaning way. If you are unhappy with aspects, great, express it, that’s productive. hey Calling it garbage and exiting in a torch mob mentality (which is only a vocal few) is childish in my opinion and degraded the integrity of this forum.

Its definitely exhausting that hundreds of pages are one liners about hatred. :-)

This would be a great building...on UNCC's campus.  I've said earlier before the hot topic alert lol, that I dont mind this building (think the B- is fair). There is literally one building and a parking deck topped out. BOAT sticks out like a sore thumb, which makes it highly critique-able. LU2 is barely off the ground but we can expect 3-5 more towers along with Honeywell.  I think the sheer density of the full buildout will mask and blend a lot of it's flaws and cons ppl are discussing. I am really hoping the retail pans out to be above average with a mix of things, it will be something else walking on the promenade admist the canyon of newness.