Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Ok - this all makes sense now. LSP3 is the architect.

LSP3 also designed LU1 and LU2 (verdict is still TBD, on LU2, IMO, LOL).

Oh! LSP3 is also responsible for Capitol Towers, the hideous and already dated looking parking decks at the airport, Councourses D&E (everyone’s favorites), 230 south tryon (gag), and then a bunch of Baptist churches, residence halls, medical offices, and firehouses. They’re definitely designing above their bread and butter, and it shows. 

http://www.ls3p.com/projects/

Inexplicably they somehow managed to design 300 south - which is the only thing above 5 stories they should be showcasing on their website, IMO. Sorry to be negative but I’m tired of C grade architecture. I’m thankful for the height, density, jobs, retail, etc but clients should be asking for more.

Edited by Urban Cowboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Ok - this all makes sense now. LSP3 is the architect.

LSP3 also designed LU1 and LU2 (verdict is still TBD, on LU2, IMO, LOL).

Oh! LSP3 is also responsible for Capitol Towers, the hideous and already dated looking parking decks at the airport, Councourses D&E (everyone’s favorites), 230 south tryon (gag), and then a bunch of Baptist churches, residence halls, medical offices, and firehouses. They’re definitely designing above their bread and butter, and it shows. 

http://www.ls3p.com/projects/

Inexplicably they somehow managed to design 300 south - which is the only thing above 5 stories they should be showcasing on their website, IMO. Sorry to be negative but I’m tired of C grade architecture. I’m thankful for the height, density, jobs, retail, etc but clients should be asking for more.

They're a firm that caters to people with a budget, and IMO they do a decent job in that regard, however not every project is appropriate to give the cookie cutter treatment. I don't really agree with the hate at the airport though, the decks were built WELL in advance of the terminal expansion and will likely be brought "fully online" in the coming years. IE getting cleaned up, ramps fully utilized, etc. In terms of the terminal renovations, they're working in a challenging space, considering the airport is nearly 100% utilized, there is no space for a "true" remodel. Really lipstick on a pig is the best they can do at the moment, as more growth occurs, my understanding is that a more substantial improvement project will be underway. Don't forget that a whole new TERMINAL is in the works.  Did they also do A north? If so, don't leave that out, because that is truly a world class job. And you said it yourself with 300 South Tryon, clearly they're capable, that building is practically the new concourse 25 (26?) stories high. I think a large part of the blame lies on the clients themselves, if they don't give them the budget, they're going to fall back on the cookie cutter designs they're used to. And the cheap materials that will meet their bottom line. 

• Like 1

I like it. I don't like the color of the brick- I wouldn't mind it being a couple shades darker. It covers the deck for the most park. This side of town is going to be so dense in Three years. Charlotte is going to feel real "big city, with all these buildings right on 277. 

• Like 2

I think a hotel is in the mixed with all this office space and I would now say less likely a residential tower but depends on how many towers they can fit on there.  and yes I will speculate SunTrustBB&T is reportedly looking for 700K sq ft of space and my bet they would end up on the Tryon Stonewall corner and maybe a hotel behind.  One thing was not clear in the article does it mean 5 office towers and a hotel and residential or is that the max. number of towers.   But there is another big office user out there that being the new merged bank. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

I think a hotel is in the mixed with all this office space and I would now say less likely a residential tower but depends on how many towers they can fit on there.  and yes I will speculate SunTrustBB&T is reportedly looking for 700K sq ft of space and my bet they would end up on the Tryon Stonewall corner and maybe a hotel behind.  One thing was not clear in the article does it mean 5 office towers and a hotel and residential or is that the max. number of towers.   But there is another big office user out there that being the new merged bank. 

It means max towers, though I think squeezing in a hotel and 5 office towers is very very possible. 

25 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

ok, so for those interested in something other than complaining, or complaining about complaining, I thought two things from the CBJ article were interesting:

1.  Did I miss something about KPMG?  I can't recall, are they moving into BOAT or is this a reference to a different tower?  From the article: Harris said. "If you think about what has been developed and the movement that has occurred from Dimensional (Fund Advisors) to LendingTree to Honeywell to KPMG to Ally ... just go down the line."

2. I was excited to hear they are still looking to fill in Legacy Union with some mixed uses.  It will be interesting to see what this looks like.  Surely they can support a hotel with three new office towers.  From the article: "From a developer standpoint, we’re always paying attention to the market," Harris said. "With the (current) demand with office, you develop through the market. That's what we’ve done." Legacy Union could potentially bear five office towers total if the market demanded it, he continued, but added the firm continues to talk to multifamily, hospitality and retail groups." At the end of the day, this will be a combination of all those uses in some form or fashion," Harris said. "As we continue to see the market grow and demand grow, it’s not lost on us that there’s going to be demand for hospitality and multifamily and retail."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/05/honeywell-hq-to-anchor-latest-office-tower-at.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

What are the projections for the next building and tenant?  I think @lancer22 mentioned he thought another office building would come next.  Care to speculate on the tenant?  When do you think hospitality might finally come into play, and on which parcel?

Rumor has it a yet to be named bank will either be doing a new tower at LU or going into Hearst.

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It means max towers, though I think squeezing in a hotel and 5 office towers is very very possible. 

I think they can do five + a large hotel if the next two are the size of LU 2 & 3. If they throw up another 800k sf building then I don't think they can do two buildings plus a large hotel because of the parking. Another 1.2M sf of office + a 400 key hotel is probably another 2,500 sp deck which I don't think they will be able to fit.

Btw, the CBJ article indicates LU3 was upsized from 287k sq ft of office to 330k, but that Honeywell is taking 280k, so it grew by 2 floors.

IMO, Honeywell probably wanted the option to expand, but if not, would be leased to.a 3rd party.

If BB&T wanted to fill Hearst, I'm not sure how they can without replacing both BofA and either Hearst or US Bank.

Taking over the trading floor could be appealing there, which is effectively empty currently, though I think it's far more likely that US Bank expands in Hearst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

LU3 aka Honeywell HQ, found on skyscrapercity.com, came to there via Biz Journal. 

LU3.jpg

Also knows as the last 5 or 6 pages of discussion lol

10 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

My bad

:-) 

Just know if its on Skyscrapercity, its probably been here a while. I don't think they've ever scooped UP.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Really wish they would add some retail to this project, even just a small lifestyle center/outdoor arcade type development.

I thought I read in previous posts that this building will have retail?

7 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Probably not the type of retail we’re expecting. I’d bet a dry cleaners, a bank branch, and a  Massage Envy.

I expect the retail for Honeywell to be very food and beverage heavy. Think about it. Not much nearby for workers at Legacy Union 1-3