Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 6/2/2016 at 7:40 AM, DMann said:

Anyone think they will eliminate the tunnel under Church Street and flatten it?

If I were speculating, I would guess that they will keep the tunnel.  Building a tunnel under the street is a MAJOR undertaking.  Having it as existing is valuable.  The interesting aspect will be how they incorporate it into the design.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!  The old sheet metal piece of land across from the stadium which is the cut out in Observer land is under contract to sell.

Throughout this whole time I was not very happy this was not included and figured the owners were just extra greedy d-bags. I am now even more excited for this project with that eye soar going away.

On the demolition front... TONS of progress site looks like a war zone of rubble 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Finally!  The old sheet metal piece of land across from the stadium which is the cut out in Observer land is under contract to sell.

Throughout this whole time I was not very happy this was not included and figured the owners were just extra greedy d-bags. I am now even more excited for this project with that eye soar going away.

On the demolition front... TONS of progress site looks like a war zone of rubble 

They were just trying to get "theirs" they weren't being d-bags. No worse than the greek family holding out on Crescent on the old club land at Stonewall Station, or the Uptown Cabaret guy asking an exorbitant amount for his land. They own the land fair and square, its a "you want it, come get it" mentality. Everyone would do the same thing and if you say you wouldn't you are lying to yourself. Them holding out didn't slow the development down so it's all good.

I cannot believe how tight lipped LH has been, and continues to be. Even when announcing when the Observer building is coming down. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HopHead said:

It's truly amazing how many of these pieces of land that were once tailgating spots for Panthers games are now completely gone and already developed or in the process of being developed. Most of it just in the last 6-8 years. 

What's amazing to me are the people who are genuinely mad when the tailgate lots are developed. Like a 25 story office/19 story hotel/retail/etc is NOT worth losing a lot you use 8 days a years. Just absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupid. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Any photos? What do you mean by "war zone" Have they actually torn down the observer building??

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

9 hours ago, Jayvee said:

What's amazing to me are the people who are genuinely mad when the tailgate lots are developed. Like a 25 story office/19 story hotel/retail/etc is NOT worth losing a lot you use 8 days a years. Just absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupid. 

sounds like you hang out with the wrong people

On 7/11/2016 at 9:39 AM, Jayvee said:

To be fair, with pre-season and college games it's more like 12, and if we host 3 playoff games it goes up to 15. But I agree with your point 100%. Tailgating should never be the priority. Plus there are still tons of parking lots uptown.

• Like 1

Not to mention that if people took advantage of the light rail, one would save a TON of money.  Parking at the lot I normally park on a daily basis is close to $40 for ONE DAY!  I pay just a little more for 3 months!  Now, I'm sure CATS does not allow grills and tents in the park and rides..........

16 hours ago, Spartan said:

To be fair, with pre-season and college games it's more like 12, and if we host 3 playoff games it goes up to 15. But I agree with your point 100%. Tailgating should never be the priority. Plus there are still tons of parking lots uptown.

If I owned the parking ramp next to the stadium I would put park on top.  You wouldn't need that much structure to hold grass and some permanent gazebos or shelters.  You could run utilities to the park, like gas and sewer, so that it would be something where all you needed to tailgate was a cooler or two.   Build a skybridge from the parking ramp to the stadium.  Rent it out for both games and to the public during the week.  

It could connect to both BB&T and BofA stadium for both groups of fans.  You could really make it into something so much better than just a parking lot that is used to tailgate for a game and turn it into a downtown park of sorts.  

It would be more expensive..sure..but the experience would be so much better as well.

Edited by cjd5050

I would think that Lincoln Harris will build something that impacts that Panthers stadium on the side where the sheet metal shop was located given its proximity to the facility. Whether it's some kind of large retail/restaurant hub that would be a spot before games or a decent sized hotel that fans and visiting teams will stay. Maybe both. Really amazing how tight lipped they've been. Hopefully we'll get some info around the time they close on this last piece of property in Sept.

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

I would think that Lincoln Harris will build something that impacts that Panthers stadium on the side where the sheet metal shop was located given its proximity to the facility. Whether it's some kind of large retail/restaurant hub that would be a spot before games or a decent sized hotel that fans and visiting teams will stay. Maybe both. Really amazing how tight lipped they've been. Hopefully we'll get some info around the time they close on this last piece of property in Sept.

Getting my hopes up for something along the lines of Victory Park in Dallas, outside of the American Airlines Center.  Admittedly selectively picked a great image to share but it's a planned (or in progress??) big mixed used area around the arena.  Just something that funneled people into the stadium as shown below would be a pretty cool space.

http://victorypark.com/new-victory-park/

victory-park-202942.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Sorry if this has been brought up, but do we expect Lincoln Harris to start on this site before this upswing ends? Or will it start after the next downturn?  

I wouldn't expect to see actual project construction here until 2018. They'll spend the rest of this year and next on demo, utility relocation, site prep and plan finalization 

56 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

For what was paid for the property and demolition, you can expect more that a 6 story building.   I expect a mixed used with high rise towers, retail. hotel, offices and residential.  With 10 acres  it has to be big.

Uh. Yeah lol. There will be at least 2-3 high rise buildings on this site. 

Edited by Jayvee

1 hour ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

For what was paid for the property and demolition, you can expect more that a 6 story building.   I expect a mixed used with high rise towers, retail. hotel, offices and residential.  With 10 acres  it has to be big.

Makes sense.  I wonder if there is some type of base formula on development costs compare to land acquisition costs.  Something like 10X would make sense.   No?

45 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Land cost about 35 million and demo about 3 million that is is 38 million.   To get a return on investment of land & demo  you need  lots of floor space to earn revenue to pay for investment.   How many million sq. ft are needed  LH has to figure this out.

Don't forget the last lot that is now under contract. I wouldn't doubt it if it sold for 8-10 million. In the Stonewall Station sale, that last piece went for crazy money.