Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

15 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Found this rendering on the Legacy Union website. It looks like a slightly different angle than the one originally shared on here giving more perspective on how it might be viewed from 277 and the Stadium.

D2DB6C6C-0DDF-4069-A85E-7462C25BF443.jpeg

I am starting to like this building.....but, a “weak” like.  It should have a good presence on Mint without being massive enough to overshadow BofA stadium.  And, it is wide enough to feel planted and cover up the parking deck.

It won’t change, but the red lettering at the top keeps throwing me off.  If it were black, I may like the building better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

I am starting to like this building.....but, a “weak” like.  It should have a good presence on Mint without being massive enough to overshadow BofA stadium.  And, it is wide enough to feel planted and cover up the parking deck.

It won’t change, but the red lettering at the top keeps throwing me off.  If it were black, I may like the building better.

Honeywell's name/logo is red text. Its not changing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Lately, I been thinking, I want you to be happier:

honeywell.png

LOL, I like it.  Much better than red,  lets get Honeywell on board. 

Honeywell is paying nothing to the Panthers and their name will be very visible over the scoreboard.  Their TV visibility will be great as well and cost them $0.00...other than building cost.  

Edited by CLT_sc

Sometimes I think companies feel like that have to put signage up on all four sides when it's not necessary.  When it's a square base like LU's crown, 4 sided signage looks fine.  Honeywell should just have signage on the top two sides (facing Panthers and opposite) - which would make it more subtle and not as tacky up there.  Not to mention, it is going to be very hard to decipher the Honeywell signage against those vertical lines on the glass (until night time when it's lit).

23 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I have never been a fan of the blue seats, I am sure they have faded a lot too which makes it seem more like Chapel Hill (although their stadium is usually empty on game days).  I hope Tepper opens some of the upper levels of the stadium so the city seems more a part of the stadium.  From Crucial’s picture, you would have great shots of LU and other parts of town if some sections are removed. Based on the Panthers’ recent survey, it sounds like putting clubs upstairs is an option which would open the stadium up more.  The Dolphins did something similar to their stadium which was a lot like BofA prior to their improvements.

Empty on game days, as opposed to the yellow staining on the seats in Raleigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I hope Tepper buys and develops that block for the Panthers, could easily still have high rise office or hotel, but needs someone besides LH to develop some stadium facing retail.

Image result for cardinals developmentsRelated imageRelated image

Something like that may happen!

While this not a favored source, it's great news!

https://www.charlottestories.com/panthers-billionaire-owner-pushing-for-mls-team-in-charlotte-by-the-end-of-2019/

The third floor of LU2 is now 100% complete, which means much faster from here, given all floors going forward are the same design/template.
Suspect topping out by Thanksgiving.

They aren’t all exactly the same, keep in mind it’s flares toward Tryon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.68e263b4928c6493c6c6c375ca5edad1.png

Latest Site Plan.  Really don't understand why they had to change the promenade stairs, if it wasn't because Honeywell would have an entrance there. 

Damn....I hadn't realized how much land was leftover after LU 1,2 and 3! Two more buildings, or will they break up the lots and have a few more?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

I believe plans are for a LU4, 5, and 6. Three more additional buildings. 

Truly, there's enough room for 4 more buildings, and I hope it gets built out like that. I think that with the way the Charlotte economy, and thus it's employment base, is both growing and diversifying, it'd be silly to not include a single residential tower. 

If I had to guess what the rest of the buildout would be. I'd say 2 more office towers, a full service hotel and a apartment tower. 

My biggest worry is I fully expect them to build another parking deck.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I do like the building with this lighting.  But, my eyes went directly to the lit parking deck, this will be seen from space when lit.

Rooftop Park on top of the deck , please. Nice little lunch spot with outdoor seating.  Views of South End would be amazing.  I'm a realist, and I know the lost parking revenue would be huge, but one can dream.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

That plan also highlights some of the disappointment around Honeywell. Certainly a rectangular floorplate is efficient, but there is so much lost opportunity with the curve of the site to do something really nice and unique for that location. You could pick up the Honeywell building and put it literally anywhere.

Classic missed opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Truly, there's enough room for 4 more buildings, and I hope it gets built out like that. I think that with the way the Charlotte economy, and thus it's employment base, is both growing and diversifying, it'd be silly to not include a single residential tower. 

If I had to guess what the rest of the buildout would be. I'd say 2 more office towers, a full service hotel and a apartment tower. 

My biggest worry is I fully expect them to build another parking deck.

There's definitely enough room, I'm just not confident it will be planned that way. If I had to guess, I'd say a decent sized office tower above podium parking, second office tower, hotel/ residential tower. 

15 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

Classic missed opportunity. 

There's definitely enough room, I'm just not confident it will be planned that way. If I had to guess, I'd say a decent sized office tower above podium parking, second office tower, hotel/ residential tower. 

So you are also of the opinion that all of the western church street frontage will be parking deck with retail when all is said and done?