Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Just now, Urban Cowboy said:

It's like my momma always used to say: "If it can hold cars, it can handle dirt and vegetation."

Weird my momma said the same thing.

I was thinking that too. that's not what I was concerned about. Mostly concerned about the ramp, the height of the parapet, and the level that the elevators are at. Couldn't fill with very much dirt, and would need very very shallow rooted vegetation.

I bet a park with dirt and vegetation might weigh more than cars, once you take into account the drive aisles and spaces between the cars that have "no weight" on them vs the park which is covered entirely. But some painted sport courts would be really easy. My guess is that they want to keep that level for parking because it's an income-generator and a park or sport court isn't. A lot of times if the question is "why is the developer doing this instead of that?" the answer is "because money."

Edited by Madison Parkitect

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

A park with dirt and vegetation would almost certainly weigh more than cars, once you take into account the drive aisles and spaces between the cars that have "no weight" on them vs the park which is covered entirely. But some painted sport courts would be really easy. My guess is that they want to keep that level for parking because it's an income-generator and a park or sport court isn't. A lot of times if the question is "why is the developer doing this instead of that?" the answer is "because money."

haha, yea I know that. I know they aren't doing it because money. They also aren't doing it because its not required. Should be requiring the roof of all decks to be something other than parking. At least for Heat Island Effect sakes, and definitely for city beautification.

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

haha, yea I know that. I know they aren't doing it because money. They also aren't doing it because its not required. Should be requiring the roof of all decks to be something other than parking. 

I absolutely agree with you. I'd like to see mandatory vegetation or amenity roofs on all parking decks, even if it means allowing them to go a level higher so the developer still gets the same amount of parking. But that'll never happen.

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

I absolutely agree with you. I'd like to see mandatory vegetation or amenity roofs on all parking decks, even if it means allowing them to go a level higher so the developer still gets the same amount of parking. But that'll never happen.

It sure won't! Maybe if you did 50%. But the fact is, there's 2 whole acres of concrete sitting right there that should be for more than just cars.

If a mega Lifetime Fitness Center comes to Legacy the top of the deck could be tennis courts and basketball courts don't count it out.

I am going to start a splinter group called LikeLegacyLeague the triple L club and we will meet monthly at Krispy Kreme and free doughnuts and coffee for all in attendance on my dime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If a mega Lifetime Fitness Center comes to Legacy the top of the deck could be tennis courts and basketball courts don't count it out.

I am going to start a splinter group called LikeLegacyLeague the triple L club and we will meet monthly at Krispy Kreme and free doughnuts and coffee for all in attendance on my dime. 

That will give me the incentive to come back to Charlotte more frequently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I don’t believe so.  With how long it’s taking per floor my estimate would be that this building would top out in the late December/Early January timeframe.   Averaging about 3 floors per month right now.  

But what’s so amazing about the LU Site that’s got all of us UPers spoiled is that around that same timeframe  LU3 should be starting to go vertical with its Deck/Building.

Yeah you might be right. Maybe late November lol but hopefully LU4 is announced soon and LU3 goes up rather quickly.

26 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I really like how they included this message. It's a great gesture and if it saves even one life, it's infinitely worth it.

those are popping up all over uptown on garages I have seen them elsewhere as I occasionally go to the top for photos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I bet their insurance compliance department put them up. Not someone out of the goodness of their hearts. 

Either way, if it saves a life, who cares who or why made the decision? 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

those are popping up all over uptown on garages I have seen them elsewhere as I occasionally go to the top for photos. 

The deck beside Spectrum has them, I was asked to leave by a much friendlier security guard than I encountered today, and he explained to me that someone had jumped from the deck a few years ago. Frankly I'm of the opinion that someone who's made the decision to die is going to do it no matter what, usually those who reach out want some kind of attention, some feeling that someone cares, and that's perfectly fine, nothing wrong with that. I cannot find the article (now that it could be helpful of course), so I hope you can just trust my word on this, but I read once that many cases that are ruled suicide (of jumping variety) are actually accidents. They derived this from lot of data points but one that stood out to me was a guy who survived jumping from a bridge (it wasn't the Golden Gate, though reading some of those survivor stories are definitely worth your time) he said that essentially in his depressed state he enjoyed that feeling of being on the edge of death, and one day his fingers slipped and he plunged, as soon as his fingers lost grip, he regretted everything. 

Sorry for the dark topic, but it's relevant I think, we've essentially had a 14 story building open with an accessible rooftop, if not suicidal folks, a drunk Panthers fan could easily find themselves in deep crap, some sections are really only closed off with the standard thin parking deck cables, if not a drunk, I'd imagine a pedestrian getting cold cocked with an errant beer can might not be far fetched. 

When I was a cycler a few years ago, one of my hobbies was to cycle to the top of various free standing parking decks to take the view from the top on a Sunday morning. I was stopped only one time and that was by a guard after I had reached the top and he was decent about it and let me decide to take the vortex express ramp or the normal incline ramp to the ground. I whooshed past him as he dozed at his post by the entrance and then he had to guess which level I attained to intercept me by elevator and he missed me two or three times. We finally coincided at the top.

• Like 3