Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

On 8/15/2019 at 1:07 AM, mpretori said:
To make a 1990's inspired building seem "hip" and "cool" is my guess. 

I think it was just the cheapest option they could find. My wife's birthday I spend more on my own "entertainment budget" than they did on the opening of a 1million sq foot tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Meh the tower, hate the garage, love the second tower, hate the third tower

The 3rd tower gets pity points for covering up that side of the ramp. I feared that plot could sit for quite a while 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glass on top of glass! Looking great this afternoon!
2741AC31-ABE1-4A6D-BD21-41ABA932583A.thumb.jpeg.63447e4879de0b9332660dceaf688756.jpeg

That’s a good point, let’s up we get a dark colored residential tower with a bit more texture in this picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That’s a good point, let’s up we get a dark colored residential tower with a bit more texture in this picture

I sure hope that's a :ph34r: hint lol. Drove by LU 5 minutes ago and there's very cool lighting on the pedestrian bridge from the deck to BOAT. I always thought they could do what the  CLT airport deck does with the Panthers blue against all that screening at LU garage and make it a little bit more tolerable at night time. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 704Dimitri said:

Glass on top of glass! Looking great this afternoon!

2741AC31-ABE1-4A6D-BD21-41ABA932583A.jpeg

I know it's not going to happen, but if the boxes on Ally were lit up at night, it would look truly amazing.

• Like 1

Any way they could go back and retrofit the top level to a park?  It would be an amazing place on Panthers game days and a great amenity for all of the businesses / residents in the area once full build out is complete.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Any way they could go back and retrofit the top level to a park?  It would be an amazing place on Panthers game days and a great amenity for all of the businesses / residents in the area once full build out is complete.

I'd have to defer to an actual architect/engineer. haha. I would think the roof would have needed to be made to handle the weight of all that dirt and vegetation. This option could be done on the existing concrete pretty easily.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd have to defer to an actual architect/engineer. haha. I would think the roof would have needed to be made to handle the weight of all that dirt and vegetation. This option could be done on the existing concrete pretty easily.

It's like my momma always used to say: "If it can hold cars, it can handle dirt and vegetation."

• Haha 4

Just now, Urban Cowboy said:

It's like my momma always used to say: "If it can hold cars, it can handle dirt and vegetation."

Weird my momma said the same thing.

I was thinking that too. that's not what I was concerned about. Mostly concerned about the ramp, the height of the parapet, and the level that the elevators are at. Couldn't fill with very much dirt, and would need very very shallow rooted vegetation.

I bet a park with dirt and vegetation might weigh more than cars, once you take into account the drive aisles and spaces between the cars that have "no weight" on them vs the park which is covered entirely. But some painted sport courts would be really easy. My guess is that they want to keep that level for parking because it's an income-generator and a park or sport court isn't. A lot of times if the question is "why is the developer doing this instead of that?" the answer is "because money."

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

A park with dirt and vegetation would almost certainly weigh more than cars, once you take into account the drive aisles and spaces between the cars that have "no weight" on them vs the park which is covered entirely. But some painted sport courts would be really easy. My guess is that they want to keep that level for parking because it's an income-generator and a park or sport court isn't. A lot of times if the question is "why is the developer doing this instead of that?" the answer is "because money."

haha, yea I know that. I know they aren't doing it because money. They also aren't doing it because its not required. Should be requiring the roof of all decks to be something other than parking. At least for Heat Island Effect sakes, and definitely for city beautification.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

haha, yea I know that. I know they aren't doing it because money. They also aren't doing it because its not required. Should be requiring the roof of all decks to be something other than parking. 

I absolutely agree with you. I'd like to see mandatory vegetation or amenity roofs on all parking decks, even if it means allowing them to go a level higher so the developer still gets the same amount of parking. But that'll never happen.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

I absolutely agree with you. I'd like to see mandatory vegetation or amenity roofs on all parking decks, even if it means allowing them to go a level higher so the developer still gets the same amount of parking. But that'll never happen.

It sure won't! Maybe if you did 50%. But the fact is, there's 2 whole acres of concrete sitting right there that should be for more than just cars.