Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

52 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The cantilever kinda gives off a tunnel vibe when on Tryon, especially at night. 

That is very exciting. Can't wait to see it finish. I wish someone would build something on Hill Street directly across the street, with a diagonal going the exact opposite direction. Now that'd be awesome.

9 hours ago, Mr. Built said:

Im curious about something, 1 where is LU 4 most likely to be, 2 is LU 4 the planned hotel, 3 if not then are there going to be 5 LU buildings

Just curious, I like studying things about where I live 

We will see. It really depends on market conditions. I know that Lincoln Harris would like to fit in at least one residential building, and one hotel building. But they are opportunistic. They are the most shovel ready development uptown, so if an office user comes along, and there are some rumored ones floating around, then they can have a building ready for them within 2 years or so. Crescent on the other hand, has 111 N. Tryon as a possibility, but I'd imagine that takes at least 3 years to get built.

I think the final build out will be 4 office towers, a hotel, and a residential tower. The real question is... can we expect another large parking deck, and I think the answer is maybe.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

We will see. It really depends on market conditions. I know that Lincoln Harris would like to fit in at least one residential building, and one hotel building. But they are opportunistic. They are the most shovel ready development uptown, so if an office user comes along, and there are some rumored ones floating around, then they can have a building ready for them within 2 years or so. Crescent on the other hand, has 111 N. Tryon as a possibility, but I'd imagine that takes at least 3 years to get built.

Wait, crescent? Never heard. Is that belk intercontinental, or market 42?

Edited by Mr. Built

Just now, Mr. Built said:

Its none of those. They bought 101 Independence Center, and have the option to redevelop the parking deck for the building into an expanded deck with a tower on top. Likely would be office, though I'd prefer a expansion of Center City Marriott to make it 1000 rooms.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Built said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/17/crescent-communities-nuveen-acquire-uptown-tower.html

"The acquisition is unique in that it also includes entitlements above the Ivey's parking garage, on the back end of the site fronting Church Street, to build a new tower."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe LH will do another office tower on the Tryon corner as it is prime land for that.  You can always squeeze a hotel in elsewhere or how about this hotel bottom 20 floors residential top 20 floors.   Those uses are very compatible and have been done in many markets however not here.   Looking at the land the footprints of the buildings at Legacy now I think you can do 3 more towers there.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Spectrum when they owned 101 Independence was pitching that as a site for Honeywell's tower however as @ricky_davis_fan_21 said it will take longer there to develop as it over a garage and not to mention it is much tighter construction site.  I believe LH will do another office tower on the Tryon corner as it is prime land for that.  You can always squeeze a hotel in elsewhere or how about this hotel bottom 20 floors residential top 20 floors.   Those uses are very compatible and have been done in many markets however not here.   Looking at the land the footprints of the buildings at Legacy now I think you can do 3 more towers there.  

Spectrum didn't own 101 independence during any point where Honeywell was in the Charlotte picture. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Built said:

Oh yea wasnt Charlotte going to sacrifice Marshall park for the sake of new building? I mean it's still here

If you mean, reimagine and better activate Marshall Park in the name of a mixed-use, mixed-income village, then yes.

I have 0 love for Peebles, but Marshall Park sucks a lot, as a park, and should be completely reimagined, and should get opened up for redevelopment on all of its boundaries. Second Ward is by far the more sparsely populated Ward, needs more rooftops that'll use a park.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone care to speculate on why Honeywell picked that particular lot at the LU3 Site?  Visibility from highway?  Surprised they didn’t want to be along S. Tryon St.

I think visibility from the highway especially and from the stadium.   Financial firms and banks like to have a Tryon St address but others are not hung up on that.  I always speculated that would be where residential or hotels would go but it is very highly visible with the Honeywell logo coming up on 277 and on WBTV tower cam. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone care to speculate on why Honeywell picked that particular lot at the LU3 Site?  Visibility from highway?  Surprised they didn’t want to be along S. Tryon St.

Only thing I could truly think is visibility from 277, as well as TV cameras within BofA, and maybe proximity to parking, as sad as that is.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Only thing I could truly think is visibility from 277, as well as TV cameras within BofA, and maybe proximity to parking, as sad as that is.

So the HWT (Honeywell Tower) Logo May be visible above the stadium during games - sort of like BOA Logo.  Good for them but starting to feel kinda commercial.   

Whatever happened to the days of major Office Towers free of logos.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So the HWT (Honeywell Tower) Logo May be visible above the stadium during games - sort of like BOA Logo.  Good for them but starting to feel kinda commercial.   

Whatever happened to the days of major Office Towers free of logos.  

those days are over.  and the Honeywell name will be fronting the stadium and on the side 277 side.   for a view of it click here

https://legacyunioncharlotte.com/news/

• Like 2