Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

33 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Same height as 400 S Tryon, for reference. (The white pillar tower next to the Bechtler)

Well it says over 420', so at 31 storeys I'm hoping for something in the 570' range. 

Edit- Where can I find the permits, i'd like to look over them?

Edited by CLT704

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

If this is part of the Lincoln Harris plan, how in god's name did it get that far along with this crew? :) 

EDIT: I don't see this in Accela. Anywhere else we should be looking?

I bet people are firing up Twitter messages right now to find out, lol

Well if it's Tryon Place, how have they increased the floor space if they are reducing the height? Then Tryon Place wouldn't have 10ft floor-to-ceiling windows. And the design would have changed, because the original design didn't have a pyramid roof. 

But this thread is about the Observer site, so where did this info come from?

2 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Well if it's Tryon Place, how have they increased the floor space if they are reducing the height? Then Tryon Place wouldn't have 10ft floor-to-ceiling windows. And the design would have changed, because the original design didn't have a pyramid roof. 

But this thread is about the Observer site, so where did this info come from?

@49er Please state your source or a link. 

The original Tryon Place proposal was 27 stories and ~700k sqft. If it's 31 stories now and upwards of 1M sqft I don't see how it can possibly be shorter than 500 feet given floor heights. 300 South Tryon is 25 stories and 463 ft with the topsail or whatever you call it that adds another 40 feet. So yea, would like to see the actual info that everyone was talking about. I'd expect it to be something in the 550-575 ft range at a minimum, just a larger footprint. 600 South Tryon is the Charlotte Observer address if you google it though, so that would mean it's not Tryon Place. 

10 minutes ago, HopHead said:

The original Tryon Place proposal was 27 stories and ~700k sqft. If it's 31 stories now and upwards of 1M sqft I don't see how it can possibly be shorter than 500 feet given floor heights. 300 South Tryon is 25 stories and 463 ft with the topsail or whatever you call it that adds another 40 feet. So yea, would like to see the actual info that everyone was talking about. I'd expect it to be something in the 550-575 ft range at a minimum, just a larger footprint. 600 South Tryon is the Charlotte Observer address if you google it though, so that would mean it's not Tryon Place. 

Something isn't adding up. Even it was the observer site, surely Harris would invest more into the building than Crecent is in Tryon Place. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Something isn't adding up. Even it was the observer site, surely Harris would invest more into the building than Crecent is in Tryon Place. 

Everyone relax lol. I think we're getting a ton of mis information right now. Harris is going to invest near a billion into this site. It will be multiple buildings multiple mid and high rises. There are too many things that don't add up here to call this info legit yet. Addresses are wonky. There is no source. There's nothing filed under the city yet on Accela or webpermit. I'm working on confirming 49ers info but thus far am not coming up with anything so I'm gonna call this a rumor until he responds 

Edited by Jayvee

9 minutes ago, 49er said:

It is in permitting with the city - they just had their first preliminary meeting yesterday so its at the earliest stage. The architect is HKS. This is NOT Tryon Place but an office tower at the corner of Church and Stonewall. I know, doesn't make since to me either but perhaps the main Observer site will be reserved for the retail/entertainment complex and office will be pushed to the back side of the site across Church. 

After a few discussions I fully believe this is their plan. They will want their centerpiece to have the Tryon address and that centerpiece will be the retail component and likely a giant hotel. The office can be regulated to Church and it may even offer better views. This is insane. Holy _____ good stuff 49er

12 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Ok, so someone start pestering their HKS contacts for some renderings. Where's RDF when you need him?

Yeahhhh you don't get to the level that HKS is giving up renderings before the client wants them out lol. We aren't gonna see those until LH is good and ready to put them out there 

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeahhhh you don't get to the level that HKS is giving up renderings before the client wants them out lol. We aren't gonna see those until LH is good and ready to put them out there 

I was mostly speaking tongue in cheek (though I wouldn't hate someone if they stumbled across the renderings). They've kept it a secret for this long, so they probably won't unlock the vault until they're ready to make it public I suppose. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

HKS? This is exciting! based on what 49er said, it sounds like it may look a little like One Canada Square in London:

One_Canada_Square.jpg

With all due respect--I hope it doesn't mimic this design.  They designed the 300 E. Pratt St project in Baltimore (I believe these renderings are up to date, but don't hold me to it) At least we get a sense of design.

bal-300-e-pratt-street-renderings-20151114-001.jpg

bal-300-e-pratt-street-renderings-20151114-002.jpg

bal-300-e-pratt-street-renderings-20151114-003.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Ok, so someone start pestering their HKS contacts for some renderings. Where's RDF when you need him?

RDF got a new super demanding job. Has had to temporarily abandon this website. Jayvee and I talk daily though, lol.