Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

8 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Didn't they already try a small version in the Overstreet Mall years ago?  Granted, pre online retail.

Yeah but now we have 5 times more people uptown and in general.  I never thought that was a good idea though; as most out-of-towners or even locals don’t have a clue that overstreet even exists.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

And a Microsoft and Amazon store.

Nooooohhhh!   

Keep things local.   What are merchandisers like me going to do against all these incentives we give to Amazon, IKEA, and others ?   It's hard enough to compete with their buying power, but I understand that.  The incentives, I don't  (IKEA is a "non profit")

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Nooooohhhh!   

Keep things local.   What are merchandisers like me going to do against all these incentives we give to Amazon, IKEA, and others ?   It's hard enough to compete with their buying power, but I understand that.  The incentives, I don't  (IKEA is a "non profit")

I think this is important. I know Asheville is almost exclusively local. I was a local there for a time and when i recently returned I could not believe the vacancies. When you try to to control the capitalist economy, it will often fail.  Really perplexed why some think tech is the enemy. 

47 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Belk uptown in the Overstreet Mall little location sold cosmetics and you can not tell me that there is not a market for that.  I hope they will consider it somewhere uptown if not to build up the brand and be an online delivery exchange point. 

I remember when you had to push aside a curtain to enter the Overstreet Mall from Belt!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ I agree a small format store emphasizing best selling items, dressing rooms, place to pick up online purchases, transfer merchandise from larger stores to uptown location and yes I do think it could work.  Very small though less 10K sq ft.  Nordstrom is doing some small stores in LA for the above reasons.    It would serve the uptown employment hub and you can not tell me that 100,000 workers would not every once and a while pop in for something.  

While I think having a flagship Belk store uptown as opposed to SouthPark Mall would be cool, this idea is probably more practical for the 21st century.  One way or another, Belk having a presence uptown again makes so much sense. It would be nice if their offices moved there too with this concept store located on the first floor.

• Like 4

A valet circle for execs here makes sense.  It would take too long to get out of the garage at rush hour.  If they just have to walk down to the valet, they'll be home in Myers Park in minutes.

Charlotte needs to start high-end car service with Escalades.  Being picked up at Quail Hollow, Myers Park, etc and getting dropped off a few minutes later is ideal if you’re rich.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Hotel?

So I had wondered that as well. The executive parking deck is built to support at least one more floor of office on top. I'm not sure if that means its built to support a hotel. I guess you could put a hotel lobby entrance on the second floor lobby. 

EDIT: that space on top of the executive parking is contiguous from the 4th floor, so you'd have to do a 4th floor sky lobby. 

Edited by Guest