Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Not my fault I'm the better predictor; my predictions from six years ago:

image.thumb.png.c1025dcecb074f00b3ba525d36f5df50.png

I think you need to change this. Booooring, is on top of the extension of Abomination Unto the Lord.

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

I absolutely hate picnic tables!  Why can’t some of our breweries have more comfortable and appealing seating arrangements? Lol

Agree. For a startup brewery, I get it. For what most of them are spending on rent, the seating arrangements and internal design of the patron areas are abysmal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

C668-E0-ED-6996-4-A38-8473-4-F40-FF2-AF7

Thanks @gman430 for the always great shots.

I noticed last Sunday that this building is VERY close to the sidewalk. Definitely not enough room for street trees, unless they put them where the current sidewalk in, which would narrow the sidewalk. Did they get a variance not to have them on this project?

Yes they got a rezoning for how the building flares out on the upper floors but nothing was needed the closeness to the sidewalk.  
walk by photos today.  
IMG_9710.thumb.JPG.a08dbc6e163b2bebc1c76e3530e8328c.JPG
IMG_9711.thumb.JPG.b28bf70126f688fbb8ad6640b3d98faa.JPG
IMG_9704.thumb.JPG.2148064e6dd8948b3588103371c0d6f5.JPG

They are talking about Honeywell and the setback is much larger than it looks. Will definitely feel much more constrained than any other tower uptown though. Except maybe graham street at FNB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes they got a rezoning for how the building flares out on the upper floors but nothing was needed the closeness to the sidewalk.  

walk by photos today.  

IMG_9710.JPG

IMG_9711.JPG

IMG_9704.JPG

I think this building won’t really be that impressive once completed. Was excited but at this point it’s just another glass box with a point on it. 

• Like 4

I still think it’s pretty nice, and it’s better than what, for example, Pittsburgh. Richmond, Baltimore, Columbia, New Orleans, Jacksonville, or Cincinnati are getting (ie., nothing) or the mediocre towers that Raleigh is getting.

Further, other vibrant cities like Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, Austin, Nashville, and SLC aren’t building anything better.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The Indeed Tower in Austin is more interesting than anything built in Charlotte this millennium. 

Indeed reminds me a lot of Barings.  But, is it better than 1  BAC, Duke, Museum Tower, Vue, Regions etc.., not especially.    Nashville, Austin etc are nice cities and have good buildings as well, but Charlotte is on par at a minimum.  And, in a lot of metrics, way ahead.  

I am guessing that we won’t see a new building by year end announced at LU.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Indeed reminds me a lot of Barings.  But, is it better than 1  BAC, Duke, Museum Tower, Vue, Regions etc.., not especially.    Nashville, Austin etc are nice cities and have good buildings as well, but Charlotte is on par at a minimum.  And, in a lot of metrics, way ahead.  

I am guessing that we won’t see a new building by year end announced at LU.

Charlotte is definitely in a league one step ahead of those cities, but Austin is pushing more boundaries in design (and probably soon to be height) than Charlotte. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

The Indeed Tower in Austin is more interesting than anything built in Charlotte this millennium. 

Yeah, I’d say Austin AND Nashville are kicking our butts on design. And never mind Charlotte, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Austin eclipse Houston and Dallas on height.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I was in Austin all last week after not having been there since 2003.  Blown.  Away.  And I agree the quality of the product being delivered looked far superior to what we’re getting.  I didn’t see an EIFS panel, Hardie board, or plastic wooden plank anywhere.  And their public art scene is INSANE.  They’re definitely doing it right.   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mpretori said:

It's a great city. Scientology owns a significant portion of land there. No projects there has the scope of Water Street or financial backing Water Street has.  

Scientology owns half of downtown Clearwater. Water St will revolutionize downtown Tampa. But St Pete has had a significant head start. 

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Charlotte is definitely in a league one step ahead of those cities, but Austin is pushing more boundaries in design (and probably soon to be height) than Charlotte. 

I agree that we can push design a little further, the new Intercontinental is really cool, and Deloitte looks great in this spot.

Height is something I don’t care too much about.  I would like to see diversity in height, but building just to have the tallest isn’t always the best.

I don’t think Austin and Nashville are killing it with design over CLT.  But, that is always subjective.

• Like 3