Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

The new library rendering looks like it could break that mold. Something iconic. 

I'm walking around LU as we speak and wow, that deck is really high when you're on top level. Will be great to host events or tailgating up there (stated it was designed to do that). I'm a little concerned on the retail of LU2. Is that all lobby facing the plaza and the retail on the second floor probably a restaurant. But is the other spots facing Hill st?

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I think the Deloitte Tower is the perfect size and design for a gateway building to uptown.  I don't think we need something overly huge on that corner, and the cantilever aspect acts almost as a threshold into uptown.  I'm very pro.

I agree.  Deloitte fits that space really well.  And, it accents the bend in S Tryon.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Eh, Nashville just gets Ballantyne hybrids IMO.

Nashville and Austin seem to have more residential towers going up which by nature have a little more interest.  But, I agree, neither city is putting up towers that I think are materially better than CLT.  They aren’t bad, but not Hudson Yards type structures that blow me away.

Indeed reminds me a lot of Barings.  But, is it better than 1  BAC, Duke, Museum Tower, Vue, Regions etc.., not especially.    Nashville, Austin etc are nice cities and have good buildings as well, but Charlotte is on par at a minimum.  And, in a lot of metrics, way ahead.  
I am guessing that we won’t see a new building by year end announced at LU.

But there will be one in Southend [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully those surface lots across Tryon from the Spectrum development. Or farther south ?

IMG_1388.jpg

All that fresh UMUD, just sitting there waiting.

I take back a “before the end of the year” prediction. I forget, just because I’m working almost everyday doesn’t mean anyone else is. Starting January things are going to be Lit y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, Nashville just gets Ballantyne hybrids IMO.

Agreed Nashville definitely gets nothing more interesting than Duke Energy 2, and certainly not as tall. Paramount will never happen, and Nashville yards maybe will cross 500 feet.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

IMG_1388.jpg

I take back a “before the end of the year” prediction. I forget, just because I’m working almost everyday doesn’t mean anyone else is. Starting January things are going to be Lit y’all

How high will we see?  

Anyone know the latest occupancy numbers for office?  We have to be really tight for class A office, a lot of folks I talk with have trouble finding space downtown.

How high will we see?  
Anyone know the latest occupancy numbers for office?  We have to be really tight for class A office, a lot of folks I talk with have trouble finding space downtown.

I’d say as high as the lower 400s

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Agreed Nashville definitely gets nothing more interesting than Duke Energy 2, and certainly not as tall. Paramount will never happen, and Nashville yards maybe will cross 500 feet.

I do think Nashville Yards as a whole is designed better than other multi-building projects, such as Lacking Legacy Union for example. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Why the talk about Nashville, Orlando and Austin. They are all fine cities, but if you read some posts on this thread, Charlotte is painted as a slow growing city with garbage buildings.  Here is a recent economic commentary about Charlotte and the intense growth happening in the city.  Austin has higher net in-migration than CLT, but not Orlando or Nashville.  They would all love to have Charlotte Douglas which is a major driver of growth. 

The commentary does a great job explaining away the “lack of top tier university” pointing out the number of universities feeding talent into Charlotte from Chapel Hill, Duke, State, Wake and South Carolina.  

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/assets/pdf/commercial/insights/economics/regional-reports/nc-charlotte-economic-outlook-20191218.pdf

But, honestly, this isn’t the forum to bring in a “this city is better than Charlotte” argument, there are forums for that.

Nowhere did I say they were better. Please quote that.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Charlotte is a fast-growing city going sideways on design while peer cities are pressing the envelope.

Fixed it.

“Pressing the envelope” is highly subjective, I have seen anything in Nashville or Austin the looks earth shattering or something I wish we had here.   But, start a thread to talk about it.

So, back on topic.

11 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Love reading this, thanks for posting.  It also hits on two of the longer term things important to Charlotte. 

As much as we hate 277, it has concentrated office growth within the loop.  It will need to come down eventually, but we will need to see infill in LevineLand/Brooklyn first IMO

Continued growth of UNCC and expansion of Wake/other professional branches will be key.  The nearby schools are great at providing a workforce, but it will be the research ties they make in the city that helps propel us

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I do think Nashville Yards as a whole is designed better than other multi-building projects, such as Lacking Legacy Union for example. 

It's not going to be as sanitized at the ground level, that's for sure. I think the first building is pretty neat from it's design and lighting. All the other buildings are good too. I think they could have improved the ground level though. Before posters start inferring im saying Charlotte sucks, im talking about this development compared to others. Not cities. 

619_nashville5.jpg

619_nashvillePark.gif

Edited by mpretori

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

IMG_1388.jpg

Hopefully they will include generous amounts of retail!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mpretori said:

It's not going to be as sanitized at the ground level, that's for sure. I think the first building is pretty neat from it's design and lighting. All the other buildings are good too. I think they could have improved the ground level though. Before posters start inferring im saying Charlotte sucks, im talking about this development compared to others. Not cities. 

619_nashville5.jpg

619_nashvillePark.gif

I wish i could see a model or pics of what LU will look like at full build out.   Until we see the residential or hospitality aspects of this project, I’m not sure I can compare this to Nashville Yards one way or the other. The BofA tower at LU is ok, the lighting makes it much more palatable.  The street level on Tryon leading to the lobby is great.  The Deloitte building looks great for a number of reasons....primarily, it fits the footprint really well. Honeywell could be better, I have never been a fan of it.  For street level impact, the jury is out until we see what fronts Stonewall and how it ties into DEC 1 etc...  And, keep in mind, The footprint of Nashville Yards is 60% larger.  But, to date, the buildings in Nashville Yard are a yawn.

But, to globally say Charlotte is throwing up garbage buildings compared to others is out of left field.  DEC2 is a great building, the Intercontinental looks awesome, Dimension Fund is a great design as is the new Portman building at SouthEnd.  The new Lowe’s Building will be cool and if the Library looks anything close to the pics, it is a home run.  There are more in Charlotte, but trying to keep this thread on topic.

• Like 1