Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Judging based off what I’ve seen in person a few months ago. I realize that it’s obviously not completely built. But I’m having a hard time envisioning anything but huge sidewalks with trees at this point (Exaggerating obviously. I’m sure there will be some fabulous lobbies, maybe an Essex type restaurant here or there. A gym.) 

On the bright side, at least it won’t be scary like the epicenter I guess. 

I Think LU4 and 5 are going to demand ground floor retail, especially with hotel/apartment/condo mixed use. There will eventually be enough people on this block at any given time to support that from 7am to 10pm. Especially with MLS and concerts coming. It just makes sense...... :tw_neutral:

• Like 2

I like the flat top much better.  Far less contrived looking IMO.  Looking at the side-by-sides, they also eliminated a couple of the vertical brick elements on the north and south sides.  I get that it’s more windows for the inside likely, but it looks a bit squattier to me with fewer vertical elements.  Overall I think it’s an improvement. 
A8AAF7A9-6B9F-4816-B9E1-277097BD9C7D.jpeg.9edb1d90310e845b27c19821a871083b.jpeg
2E2244AF-6CA0-4331-A0AA-0891873F9781.jpeg.a98b29e3fc263398f3a6abc3fb6f622a.jpeg

I don’t know what to make of the ground floor downgrade; the awning disappeared and it looks overall less engaging.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

I don’t know what to make of the ground floor downgrade; the awning disappeared and it looks overall less engaging.

Oh snap, I didn’t notice that... looks like blank wall  replaced some windows also next to the garage entrance 

From looking at the layout and the remaining, giant lot next to the parking deck along Mint...I would love to see an open-air complex that engages the street/pedestrian and especially along mint to the stadium. Would be integrated with the promenade. Multiple floors of retail and would have a hotel and condo tower above that...a mini LA Live vibe. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I disagree and think that is a big overstatement.  LU is not even done yet and we have seen 3 office buildings and 1 mega garage all with ground floor retail.  Across the street Ally Center has a prefab garage that has ZERO ground floor retail and faces a 19 story office building and the largest hotel in the city College St side.   Charlotte has been used to having 1 tower on a block maybe two this first block of Tryon will have at least 3 towers of varying heights.  

Sure theres a lot of impact, but walk on Hill Street, for the entire two block stretch of Legacy Union, and behold, the ugliest backyard in the whole city, facing one of the most heavily travelled highways. 

Edited by Guest

On 1/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

While I think these buildings look fabulous, and a huge economic boost to the city, and will ultimately lead to more people downtown....

This place gets a huge “F” on doing anything for the walkability  or anything pedestrian related. So far. 

"Walkability" to the elevator to the parking garage on the 4th floor.  :tw_tounge_xd: Only thing there is benches ... to sit on.  Maybe we can organize a bench game to make it more fun!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think at least 3 more towers one on the Tryon block but room for 2 if hotel is involved and at least 2 more huge towers on the Church Mint block.   I think another office tower will go up on the corner of Stonewall and Tryon around the same height at the Legacy 2 give or take.  Photo today

IMG_0866.JPG

Hopefully they give more color variety 

• Like 3