Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

This last set of pics are awesome. The last one in particular reveals  how much uptown is actually hilly. look at the elevation differences that so much affect how we see different heights from a distance even though some structures are taller than others. Again, great photos. I am amazed at how great the Deloitte tower is progressing. The angles and creativity from all sides make it look very modern which is what we need from a design standpoint.

3 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

I had to go out today to get a picture of that canyon effect! Also Other misc Legacy Union photos.

DJI_0684-HDR.jpg

Such a missed opportunity by Crescent. They should have tapered their building in and followed the curve of Tryon. would have made for just a subtly better building. Lincoln Harris did it. Imagine that, Lincoln Harris more inventive than Crescent. Though neither of them are going to win any awards for how they treated Hill Street.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Such a missed opportunity by Crescent. They should have tapered their building in and followed the curve of Tryon. would have made for just a subtly better building. Lincoln Harris did it. Imagine that, Lincoln Harris more inventive than Crescent. Though neither of them are going to win any awards for how they treated Hill Street.

1000% agree! I also wish the Honeywell tower was also contoured along the curved street in front. I know that might be more expensive design wise, but not to take advantage of the opportunity, is an opportunity lost we will never get back.

Edited by A2.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

we are compared to most comparable cities just in Tampa and they are getting their fist new office building in 25 years!  San Antonio another fast growing city just opened last year its first new high rise office tower downtown in 30 years!  so yes we are a boom town. 

Yep, definitely a boom town, but unlike every other boom town I can think of in US history practically zero talk about it outside the state.  Think about it.  National Geographic did a cover article about "Atlanta" in the early 1970s when it was first a boom town.  National Geographic has even done stories about Austin, TX and Nashville, TN.  North Carolina is bad at blowing it's own horn.  Like New Jersey and Connecticut, we are surrounded by bloviators.

AWESOME PICTURES, everyone, by the way!

Edited by Phillydog
  • Haha 4

https://www.ncpedia.org/vale-humility-between-two-mountains

This well known phrase has been around longer than is recorded here but the idea is familiar. Virginia and South Carolina were planter states with vast agricultural enterprises, deep water ports for trade and trappings of wealth in the appropriate places. North Carolina was, for the most part, lacking those assets, and small farms and yeomen marked our development. To compensate for the position a phrase similar to this would provide moral support to our citizens while lightly mocking our neighbors.

Edit: Does it still apply?

Edited by tarhoosier

11 hours ago, The ATX said:

I have no horse in this race, and I don't like horse racing.  But rightly or wrongly, I would say the cities that garner over the top national attention to gain "It City" status have a couple things in common that are difficult to emulate.  They have a reputation for a bohemian lifestyle with a strong music scene.  Seattle became America's "It City" in the early 90s for this reason.  Nashville and Austin  have also been examples of this.   San Francisco/Berkeley in the 60s had this perfected as well. 

Possibly, except Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix could hardly be confused for being "bohemian" and Raleigh-Durham, which have strong music scenes and Bohmenian lifestyles (especially Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro part of the Triangle) are booming but also not "It" cities in the sense you've described.  You make an interesting observation that certainly has some validity but I think a bigger part of it is 1. historic and 2. how well your state brags about itself, asserts itself on the national stage.  Texas, Tennessee, Georgia...definitely rank near the top of bloviator states steeped in a mythology of themselves; and they send out-sized politicians to DC, etc..    

I didn't mean to digress from the topic of this page except to affirm that the images shared show what is arguably one of the fastest, biggest, booming-est cities in the country.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I had a dream that LU4 was announced as a 60+ story Condo/Apartment/Hotel mixed use.... 

When is LU4 going to be announced!

Is this really what is planned but you’re just saying it in that way to throw everybody off?^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I had a dream that LU4 was announced as a 60+ story Condo/Apartment/Hotel mixed use.... 

When is LU4 going to be announced!

Did you have the dream on MLK Day?

Seriously though, I see no reason why a hotel/condo/rental tower on this site can't be 900'.  If the floors have 20 feet ceilings, then why not?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seriously though, I see no reason why a hotel/condo/rental tower on this site can't be 900'.  If the floors have 20 feet ceilings, then why not?

Would have to be around 70-75 floors to reach 900'

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hate the idea of a residential tower being the tallest in a city. Seems weird 

My guess is that LU4 will be a huge hotel next to the parking garage along Church. Something like 25-30 floors.