Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why couldn't they just do 20' floor heights like they do in NY?  

because then you would have to sell hundreds and hundreds of condos for like $1200 psf.

Speaking that three condo towers sporting over 700 psf units have failed miserably to sell more than a handful, I wish you good luck.

You could do only loft style two floor apartments, but that limits your buyer pool. 

Basically. Its just not going to happen. We are no where near ready.

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

My guess is that LU4 will be a huge hotel next to the parking garage along Church. Something like 25-30 floors. 

This would be my bet as well.

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

because then you would have to sell hundreds and hundreds of condos for like $1200 psf.

Speaking that three condo towers sporting over 700 psf units have failed miserably to sell more than a handful, I wish you good luck.

You could do only loft style two floor apartments, but that limits your buyer pool. 

At some point, maybe, Hyatt has to get back in the market with one of their premier lines -- either Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt?     

44 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

220 CPS, 520 Park, and 432 Park, for example, have been wildly successful with some units selling at $10k/sf.   Each, moreover, has sold single units over $100m.

Verre hasn’t had that level of success because it came late to the party and because its design, while gorgeous to an outsider, isn’t favored by wealthy buyers because the huge columns block views.

If NY can have success with 20’ floors, I think that Charlotte can too.

I also believe that Charlotte will experience a height boom in the next cycle, as buildable lots become more scarce.

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

220 CPS, 520 Park, and 432 Park, for example, have been wildly successful with some units selling at $10k/sf.   Each, moreover, has sold single units over $100m.

Verre hasn’t had that level of success because it came late to the party and because its design, while gorgeous to an outsider, isn’t favored by wealthy buyers because the huge columns block views.

It cannot, plain and simple. 

One Brevard sold TWELVE of 174 units. 687 square feet ran $400,000. This is $582 a square foot. This is with normal height ceilings, in a 30 floor building that only requires two sheer core elevator shafts. Every time a building increases by 20 or so floors, the price increases exponentially to build. 

You know who lives in 220 CPS, 520 Park, and 432 Park? Nobody. Absolutely nobody. People buy those units to launder foreign money. They are maybe 10% occupied. Nobody is going to buy Charlotte condos to launder money.

Edited by Guest

On 1/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It cannot, plain and simple. 

One Brevard sold TWELVE of 174 units. 687 square feet ran $400,000. This is $582 a square foot. This is with normal height ceilings, in a 30 floor building that only requires two sheer core elevator shafts. Every time a building increases by 20 or so floors, the price increases exponentially to build. 

You know who lives in 220 CPS, 520 Park, and 432 Park? Nobody. Absolutely nobody. People buy those units to launder foreign money. They are maybe 10% occupied. Nobody is going to buy Charlotte condos to launder money.

Michael Dell and Ken Griffen are among the many famous people who bought apartments in those buildings.  

I think that Tepper might usher in a new era of super rich people seeking to live Uptown.

Anyway, I didn’t know that it cost an exorbitant amount of money to build 20’ ceilings in a tower, so so much for that thought.

Edited by SydneyCarton

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Mic

Michael Dell and Ken Griffen are among the many famous people who bought apartments in those buildings.  

I think that Tepper might usher in a new era of super rich people seeking to live Uptown.

Anyway, I didn’t know that it cost an exorbitant amount of money to build 20’ ceilings in a tower, so so much for that thought.

they are part of the 10% that supposedly live there.

Tepper lives in Florida

20' ceilings = more support, more concrete/steel, more material, more elevator shaft, more window, more money.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

they are part of the 10% that supposedly live there.

Tepper lives in Florida

20' ceilings = more support, more concrete/steel, more material, more elevator shaft, more window, more money.

I’m pleased for all of the new towers that Charlotte is getting regardless of the height, but I would like to see a new tallest.  Based on what you’re saying, that won’t happen any time soon.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m pleased for all of the new towers that Charlotte is getting regardless of the height, but I would like to see a new tallest.  Based on what you’re saying, that won’t happen any time soon.  

What bred a good bit of Charlotte's height was an ego driven race to the sky, between two men who considered one another rivals. Two massive banks, one on each side of Trade Street, trading blows by building towers to trump the others towers. That kind of pissing match doesn't exist in Charlotte anymore, and quite frankly no city Charlotte's size was building an 871' tall tower in 1992. It will take us running out of land uptown, or an incredible period of gilded age type prosperity for there to be a new tallest building in Charlotte. Our banks, and our developers are just way too austere.

New York City has made me cynical. 

I would love a new tallest too, but I think the city needs to concentrate on building out, and becoming more walkable first. 

Edited by Guest

I also believe that Charlotte will experience a height boom in the next cycle, as buildable lots become more scarce.

you can’t compare the Manhattan condo market (which is incidentally cratering right now) to Charlotte. few markets outside of south Florida and NYC can support a high rise, there just is not enough demand here to support anything more than a boutique project. The risk profile of condo is in another league versus other forms of property development (contingent liabilities, etc) and very few developers/lenders have the stomach for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, turbocraig said:

I really like the contouring on this side.  It could very easily have been a completely flat curtain wall here, and honestly that's what I had originally expected.  The renderings all seemed to show the south facing curved side, so I didn't realize this side would have some interest too.  I wonder what's up with that row of glazing three rows down that looks like it's reflecting the light differently.   And that one little window on the corner in that same row.

Yes, it is. Everything about this design is unique and pleasing to the eye and when done will be one of the better designs Charlotte has. Not liking the conformity of the glass to it's neighbors but it will be special despite it's lack of height. The other features make it wonderful.

• Like 2