Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is my Legacy photos from the other day and sorry have nothing to do the latest virus to come out of China.  from Monday.   I really like this plaza in front.  

IMG_2195.JPG

This is a really cool area, however, isn’t all that LU2 space facing the green plaza lobby?  Kinda hate how it’s flanked by LU 1 & 2 lobbies but at least there is a cool video wall to look at lol.  Was hoping for a Hearst type area surrounded by restaurants and stuff. Nonetheless, there is another building going in the grassy patch (future) and they have a dedicated food truck area. 

LU2 retail facing Tryon will probably be a restaurant though, which will be nice  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

^ Agree, I really hope LU2 helps activate this plaza more. Most of the time the plaza looks exactly like that picture... completely empty. Even during morning and evening rush hour it seems like nobody even walks through to go in / out of LU1 via the Tryon St. entrance.

Is LU1 largely empty still or if BofA largely moved in?... that could be a big factor in why it is so empty. Otherwise people must be driving and entering via the hamster tube from the parking garage, because you certainly don't see them walking in from outside. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

^ Agree, I really hope LU2 helps activate this plaza more. Most of the time the plaza looks exactly like that picture... completely empty. Even during morning and evening rush hour it seems like nobody even walks through to go in / out of LU1 via the Tryon St. entrance.

Is LU1 largely empty still or if BofA largely moved in?... that could be a big factor in why it is so empty. Otherwise people must be driving and entering via the hamster tube from the parking garage, because you certainly don't see them walking in from outside. 

More and more people are moving into the building but not full yet despite being 90% leased.  at lunch time there are people out by the food trucks on the plaza and the food trucks will stay even with another tower.  The power sources are there and that is a permanent part of the plaza. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

More and more people are moving into the building but not full yet despite being 90% leased.  at lunch time there are people out by the food trucks on the plaza and the food trucks will stay even with another tower.  The power sources are there and that is a permanent part of the plaza. 

OK. It is just sad to see a space like this be a ghost town outside the hours of 11:30AM - 1PM. 

5 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

Is anyone freaked out about how poorly the top of the Ally building is turning out? It looks like a piece of flimsy plastic fencing for someone's yard. They could have done so much more with it. As white as it is, it does not complement the building in any way.

I'm not freaked out about the screening because some folks on this board that seem to know a lot of things are talking about big digital signage and whatnot and 'just wait', so I'll reserve judgement, BUT... that elevator shaft or whatever it is up on top sticking up is atrocious.  I came off 77 yesterday and drove up the 277 ramp by the stadium and it is incredibly visible.  I tracked how close I could get before it was completely hidden out of view behind the top of the screening and I got all the way to where the Honeywell building meets the LU parking deck.  So it's gonna be visible unless you are about a block away or less.  It's skewed toward the 277 side, so maybe more hidden if you're looking from the north, but good God, how did someone get that so wrong?  That's the worst part of this otherwise handsome building.  It's crazy how much that visually detracts from the project.  It bugs me more than the screening does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This was discussed in the Ally thread, but the consensus was that this building, including the crown, is far from finished.  Essentially, we need to let this play out and not judge it prematurely based on what we see now.  I also believe RDF mentioned there are LED allowances per side.  I think it will turn out fine and if the LEDs have video/animation capabilities, this crown has the potential to be a CLT first.

*Yes, KJH...there is only one "crown" in the QC and it resides on 100 North Tryon lol.

Alright. I will keep my blood pressure down on this for awhile and let it play out. I just hope they get it right.

13 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I'm not freaked out about the screening because some folks on this board that seem to know a lot of things are talking about big digital signage and whatnot and 'just wait', so I'll reserve judgement, BUT... that elevator shaft or whatever it is up on top sticking up is atrocious.  I came off 77 yesterday and drove up the 277 ramp by the stadium and it is incredibly visible.  I tracked how close I could get before it was completely hidden out of view behind the top of the screening and I got all the way to where the Honeywell building meets the LU parking deck.  So it's gonna be visible unless you are about a block away or less.  It's skewed toward the 277 side, so maybe more hidden if you're looking from the north, but good God, how did someone get that so wrong?  That's the worst part of this otherwise handsome building.  It's crazy how much that visually detracts from the project.  It bugs me more than the screening does.

Yeah, I am not sure what that is. Maybe that problem will get fixed too.

17 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to realize the glazing on Deloitte. is the same as LU1.   

88CB2ADC-B053-4DC2-BD7C-3C199ABFC3E4.jpeg

Yep, only reason it looks different is the tree canopy reflection (at the bottom 7 or so floors makes it look darker, and its more evident on a glass curtain.

Edited by Guest