Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I know it was cold yesterday, but it is pretty sad how little this project has done to add activity to that end of Uptown. Those aerial shots show a complete ghost town... which isn't surprising because unless you work in that office, there isn't any reason to be over there. I don't know if the retail being added to LU2 is going to be enough to stimulate foot traffic. There is a chance that Ally Center makes up for it though and gets activity going since it will have more street facing retail than Legacy. Otherwise, outside of special events, Legacy Union isn't going to do anything to pull people into this area. You are more likely to catch people out and about in the suburbs sadly than this valuable corner of the center city.

Soooo true!! That’s exactly why I hated when I heard that LU was going to be majority office. It’s at the edge of uptown and that’s not a good location for majority office. Office buildings should be more centrally located or broken up with residential buildings or hotels for foot traffic because after 5, it will be dead. That area is too dense to be a complete ghost town like it’s turning out to be. And that side of uptown doesn’t connect to SouthEnd good enough to be walkable. 

5 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

Everything is under construction- wait til LU2, Ally, Honeywell and LU4 are completed and I bet you’re wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I slightly disagree simply because those are still mostly office buildings that won’t have any buzz after work hours. The hotel will generate that but this area needs residential units or restaurants, or other attractions to give people a place to go. It would be great since this is so close to the stadium that a huge retail center like Epicenter (but better) could go here. 

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

It’s a little early to assess the impacts of LU and the surrounding area.  The area is currently a construction project from Levine Ave of the Arts to somewhere across 277 depending on where you want to stop.... really could be down to Remount.  And, Stonewall is clogged with construction  down to BofA Stadium.   This area is transformational though, and really creating a new center of downtown Charlotte.  Once BofA tower is filled, Ally is filled, JW Marriott is operational and Duke is complete (these building are all almost fully leased)  the activity will be very noticeable.  The impact of DEC1 was noticeable by itself.  

But today, people are walking through shipping containers, under plywood, and around all kinds of construction trucks.  So, unless you are interested in watching, it doesn’t make sense to expect this area to be flooded with people.....at least not yet.

The only non-office development you mentioned is JW Marriott.  Maybe retail and entertainment options will be available when this completes, but that's a IF and not a CERTAINTY.  What is area is lacking is housing, that's going to increase and justify retail and other things, but that's not even confirmed yet. Most people are in the office from 8-5pm from monday through fridays so this area will be dead on the weekends and nights. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, j-man said:

I slightly disagree simply because those are still mostly office buildings that won’t have any buzz after work hours. The hotel will generate that but this area needs residential units or restaurants, or other attractions to give people a place to go. It would be great since this is so close to the stadium that a huge retail center like Epicenter (but better) could go here. 

Pretty sure a restaurant is planned on the ground floor of Legacy as they want a valet lane and the Ally Center is full of ground floor retail which I think will be mostly restaurants. 

also the 700 room Westin  is one block away as is the Mint, Knight Theater, the Bechtler, the Harvey B Gantt.  The whole area is not very pedestrian friendly right NOW as noted above due to all the construction.  So there will be 1000+ rooms within 1 full block of the Legacy 1 tower.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

image.thumb.png.aa4f07a1750be0997edc15e1b39400c3.png

I see room here for at least 10-12 retail tenants. Of course three only face the interior which is frustrating one of which is a massive bank branch. I know theres a brewery signed on for a restaurant and tap room.

9 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The only non-office development you mentioned is JW Marriott.  Maybe retail and entertainment options will be available when this completes, but that's a IF and not a CERTAINTY.  What is area is lacking is housing, that's going to increase and justify retail and other things, but that's not even confirmed yet. Most people are in the office from 8-5pm from monday through fridays so this area will be dead on the weekends and nights. 

My exact thoughts! Lol

I would imagine at least 500 hotel rooms and 450 residential units will eventually be part of this project, along with another 50k of retail maybe 100K

OH AND the aforementioned brewery/restaurant will face Bank of America Stadium and be a mad house on Sundays, and whatever days people play soccer. lol

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I see room here for at least 10-12 retail tenants. Of course three only face the interior which is frustrating one of which is a massive bank branch. I know theres a brewery signed on for a restaurant and tap room.

if I was a betting man I would think a Legion given their relationship with LH in Southpark.  

and of course if you think the prolific developer LH  will leave those vacant pads forever vacant is pure bunk.  Just wait.   

after being in Tampa which is getting their first new office building since 1992 and San Antonio waited 30 years for one in their downtown it is funny to me we are concerned about this when the project is not even half done.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.aa4f07a1750be0997edc15e1b39400c3.png

Fair enough. I just hate that this area is literally the edge of Uptown and doesn’t really have the most street level parking. 

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

This is a nice thought. Judging by how this development has gone I think we are dreaming too big.

They sold Legacy 1 for 2/3 a billion dollars. I think they are now starting themselves to also dream big. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I would imagine at least 500 hotel rooms and 450 residential units will eventually be part of this project, along with another 50k of retail maybe 100K

OH AND the aforementioned brewery/restaurant will face Bank of America Stadium and be a mad house on Sundays, and whatever days people play soccer. lol

This is my wish! I honestly also wish that they could actually push the sidewalk back along Stonewall to give room for some street level parking where that rectangular lot is. That could be like 20 parking spaces for some retail. That’s a big factor in my opinion. Having little to no street parking doesn’t help the vibrancy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

if I was a betting man I would think a Legion given their relationship with LH in Southpark.  

and of course if you think the prolific developer LH  will leave those vacant pads forever vacant is pure bunk.  Just wait.   

after being in Tampa which is getting their first new office building since 1992 and San Antonio waited 30 years for one in their downtown it is funny to me we are concerned about this when the project is not even half done.  

you would be correct, I'm just curious since they are opening 2 locations no less than 3 miles away.

1 minute ago, j-man said:

This is my wish! I honestly also wish that they could actually push the sidewalk back along Stonewall to give room for some street level parking where that rectangular lot is. That could be like 20 parking spaces for some retail. That’s a big factor in my opinion. Having little to no street parking doesn’t help the vibrancy. 

a lot of people would tell you that street level parking is hugely detrimental to vibrancy.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

you would be correct, I'm just curious since they are opening 2 locations no less than 3 miles away.

a lot of people would tell you that street level parking is hugely detrimental to vibrancy.

Maybe but I just hate the ideal of not living uptown and having to park in a parking garage or that many blocks over just to grab a sandwich from a place that has no street level parking. That’s just me. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

Maybe but I just hate the ideal of not living uptown and having to park in a parking garage or that many blocks over just to grab a sandwich from a place that has no street level parking. That’s just me. 

honestly I would imagine there will be on street parking, there almost always is. 

Just now, j-man said:

There’s barely any street level parking along the entire Stonewall street so I don’t know about that one.

Confirmed, per plans, there will be on street parking along church and Tyron . I would imagine it hasn't been painted yet since as folks keep mentioning... Its all still a giant construction zone.

I have a great idea. Since the old duke center building will mostly likely be coming down. I think the rest of LU on the two blocks should be dedicated to just residential/hotel/& entertainment. Because I’m sure that office space will most likely be going up at the old Duke center lot.  

56B493E4-A5A1-404F-9324-E34D89EA6F67.jpeg