Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

No need to jump the pond for a death ray skyscraper.  Dallas's Museum Tower (condos) puts off a huge death ray right into a sculpture garden of a popular downtown Dallas art museum.

https://gizmodo.com/will-dallas-build-a-giant-protective-shield-for-its-dea-1464402814

One artist even removed their piece of art from the garden. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, kermit said:

I discovered today (around 5pm) that Lincon Harris gave us a little something extra at Legacy Union....

They (hopefully unintentionally) created a death ray -- I was nearly knocked off my bike on the Tryon bridge by a blinding white light that immediately spiked my core temperature up 10 degrees -- I was in a tanning booth (without my consent!). While it may not cause much property damage since it appears to be trained on the bridge,  similar reflective structures have melted cars (oh no)

https://www.businessinsider.com/death-ray-skyscraper-is-wreaking-havoc-on-london-for-a-few-totally-insane-reasons-2015-7

There was a barber shop in London across from the Walkie Talkie that was having combs and chairs melt.

17 hours ago, kermit said:

I discovered today (around 5pm) that Lincon Harris gave us a little something extra at Legacy Union....

They (hopefully unintentionally) created a death ray -- I was nearly knocked off my bike on the east side of the Tryon bridge by a blinding white light that immediately spiked my core temperature up 10 degrees -- I was catapulted into a tanning booth without my consent. While it may not cause much property damage since the zapper appears to be focused on the bridge, similar concave reflective structures have melted cars (oh no!)

https://www.businessinsider.com/death-ray-skyscraper-is-wreaking-havoc-on-london-for-a-few-totally-insane-reasons-2015-7

Soo TRUE!  I have had it a half dozen times biking and running across the Tryon bridge.   Most of the times it has just been a momentary sun concentration, but I wasn't looking it, but one time i was looking up and it was so bright.  

I don't know if it is enough concentration to be like the london death ray, but it is definitely a concentration of sunlight to one spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dubone said:

Soo TRUE!  I have had it a half dozen times biking and running across the Tryon bridge.   Most of the times it has just been a momentary sun concentration, but I wasn't looking it, but one time i was looking up and it was so bright.  

I don't know if it is enough concentration to be like the london death ray, but it is definitely a concentration of sunlight to one spot. 

Hopefully the summer won't make this worse

20 hours ago, kermit said:

They (hopefully unintentionally) created a death ray -- I was nearly knocked off my bike on the east side of the Tryon bridge by a blinding white light that immediately spiked my core temperature up 10 degrees -- I was catapulted into a tanning booth without my consent. While it may not cause much property damage since the zapper appears to be focused on the bridge, similar concave reflective structures have melted cars (oh no!)

In LA they sandblasted portions of the Walt Disney Concert Hall's stainless steel facade that was causing the same issue.

Maybe they'll finally be able to hide the welds you can see on the LU pyramid's joints if they do!

3 hours ago, CLT> said:

Maybe they'll finally be able to hide the welds you can see on the LU pyramid's joints if they do!

That has always bothered me about the pyramid. When they were finishing LU1 I kept thinking to myself, “That can’t be the final finish.” I’ve moved that thought to Ally’s “crown” now haha. It’s the finishes that matter!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Man, Stonewall yesterday around 4pm was a wind tunnel! But anyways, I snapped the picture below and started to think...it’s just peculiar to not have any windows or entry ways to the retail on that side (branch). Tells me that the next phase will abut right up to that wall maybe, whether that be another (boo) parking deck or tower. 
F1E9C9E1-845C-47ED-B2ED-6CA190038B50.thumb.jpeg.5d5ddaaddf476d66a8deed89d6491aa5.jpeg

• Like 4

I have always thought that it was odd that it is a different color than the surrounding wall, not a big difference, but noticeable.  I dream about it being tallest on Tryon and scaling back as it approaches Church. Then the parcel on the block between Church and Mint scales up to be tallest on the Mint/Stonewall corner.  Hotel by BOA, residential by Mint.

26 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Man, Stonewall yesterday around 4pm was a wind tunnel! But anyways, I snapped the picture below and started to think...it’s just peculiar to not have any windows or entry ways to the retail on that side (branch). Tells me that the next phase will abut right up to that wall maybe, whether that be another (boo) parking deck or tower. 

no, when the developer LH plans another tower on that land to connect right into the Legacy 1 tower and Legacy 2 will have an interior connection to Legacy 1 too.  This is temporary wall they will be torn out eventually. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

no, when the developer LH plans another tower on that land to connect right into the Legacy 1 tower and Legacy 2 will have an interior connection to Legacy 1 too.  This is temporary wall they will be torn out eventually. 

What he said is confirmed as fact. 

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I've asked before and can't remember, would NCDOT sell off land within those ROW's toward 277? I wonder if something could be built on the sliver of land between Hill and 277.

No they wouldn’t - due to required Sight Lines along the Interstate Ramps.  

37 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Could they just change the sight line requirements and install traffic lights? Plenty of cities have ramps with no real sight lines in their cores.

Almost certainly no.  NCDOT does allow for Ramps with Traffic Lights but that’s typically used for a temporary situation in an active construction zone.  I don’t see them changing their requirements.

4 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Almost certainly no.  NCDOT does allow for Ramps with Traffic Lights but that’s typically used for a temporary situation in an active construction zone.  I don’t see them changing their requirements.

That's surprising, I would think they'd be happy to create a site-specific rule change in exchange for a few million dollars. But I don't know anything at all about how NCDOT woks.