Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

10 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Wasn't the original plan really likely to include a residential tower and a hotel in addition to all this office? @Tyree Ricardo I think you were the one who speculated that or had some inside info.

The original original plan was way more diverse. Only around 1.5M sq feet of office, 1000-1200 residences, 350k retail, 800-1000 hotel.

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

And now I'm sad

Doesn't mean it wont happen but if all the office tenants want to be there that is what they will build.  I think a hotel will be one of the last things built on the block closer to the stadium.   Most of the uptown hotels have been closed and this has been devastating to their business models.  With a daytime population of 100,000 in Jan. the uptown office population is just a few thousand now.   I think the Moxy for example by the CTC will not see the time of day at least for 3-5 years.   Until business travel picks up substantially I don't believe a single hotel will be started in this city anywhere.  Maybe the Spectrum Vantage Southend but only because it will be a few years out.  

• Like 1

Re: office capacities uptown- Talked with a man yesterday who works at Interstate Tower, 121 W Trade. He said he went to the office yesterday because he needed to use the large format plotter scanner. He was only person in his office. He watered office plants also. Sometime mid-afternoon there was an announcement of an emergency drill. No alarm or fire alarm sound. He could have taken the elevator to a lower floor where rendezvous point is located but he chose to walk down the stairs and then kept walking to his car and drove away. No point in counting heads as a safety factor from his office staff as the head count was one. He said the building has less than half normal daytime population during this time.

• Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I was in the over street mall around lunch time and passed maybe a dozen people the entire time. Just goes to show how easy it really is for finance or other office jobs to be done remotely.

Uptown is honestly pretty creepy right now. Was Uptown around 7:30 last night for the first time since we "re-opened" and seeing everything closed, streets basically empty, no cars, et. was sad compared to other areas. All the broken glass and boarded up windows doesn't really help either. With such a small residential population, Uptown is honestly one of the few areas that feels completely desolate still and not "somewhat" normal. Even Pineville's mall is busier. 

Without any residential or a hotel, I suspect Legacy Union will feel like an unapproachable vertical office park. Hanging out in the plaza under the eyes of the security guards for Bank of America isn't exactly a relaxing Friday night out. Office doesn't support diverse retail either. People don't go and shop for clothing between 8AM to 6PM when they should be doing their job in the office tower (hence Uptown is fairly dead 9:30AM - 11AM and 2PM - 4PM when people aren't commuting or getting lunch). You need people actually in the neighborhood to support retail uses other than fast casual. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

Even with the Coronavirus going on there are still some developments slated to break ground and some future developments have been announced. With that being said, I sure hope another building here is announced soon and I would love for the slip of land next to LU1 & 2 to be a residential building that would take up the rest of the block with lots of ground floor  retail. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...