Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

People in Raleigh get upset when I say this, but you have to be totally delusional to think that Raleigh and Charlotte are peer cities.  The QC is vastly superior to the No. 4 city in NC.  (Chapel Hill IMO is the No. 2 city in NC, Wilmington is the No. 3, and Raleigh is the No. 4.)

By what ranking system?
  • Haha 2

For those who think Legacy does not have retail space they actually have quite a bit. Problem none of it is leased yet.  It kinda hit the market at the wrong time. 

R:\_COM\101\9101-150521 Lincoln Harris - Riverboat Parking Garage\2.0 Design\Drawings\Arch_Church St Deck_scottferguson4251.pdf (loopnet.com)     The Mega garage spaces

650 South Tryon Ground Level Retailpdf.pdf (loopnet.com)   Legacy 2 retail spaces

620 South Tryon Phase I Retail.pdf (loopnet.com)   BOAT at Legacy space

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Speculation on when another tower will be built at LU?

Due to the economic climate I suspect that it will be quite some time.  Unless they have a Major Tenant in mind.  My guess is the 2022/2023 timeframe for another Tower to be under construction at Legacy and it probably would be residential construction not Office or Hospitality.

Thats my 2-Cents...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For those who think Legacy does not have retail space they actually have quite a bit. Problem none of it is leased yet.  It kinda hit the market at the wrong time. 

The retail spots are disjointed, have poor street interaction, and were inserted like after thoughts with no sense of place. So they technically have retail spots on paper, but on foot one can see the poor execution.

Not sure who they will find for the Church Street spot for the BOAT, wedged between generators, backflow control room, fire command, and the wall of lobby glass. It is likely a lonely island over there and the tenant would have to be extremely desirable to attract people to walk on down.

LU2 has the best street presence, but the Church Street side with the garage retail is gonna be rough to lease.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

I’m not hating on LU retail bc at least they put retail spots in unlike Ally Center deck, which faces a convention center and Westin hotel. Legacy Union buildout is barley 50% complete ppl, if that, depending upon how many more towers they can squeeze in. Every available plot of land left at LU fronts Stonewall and will have plenty of retail as well. Things will fall into place once the full buildout is completed. Church st retail will be fine too. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I have never heard of this before and there is only 2 in the USA one in the BOAT at Legacy.  an OEE  Occupant Evacuation Elevator! 

Driving Innovation in High-Rise Life Safety - Gilbane (gilbaneco.com)

Interesting. I wonder how this would work in real world scenarios.

You are at your desk. There's an explosion. You see smoke from the floor below you and the alarm system tells you to proceed to the elevator instead of stairs. Do you actually so it?  Or do you go for the stairs? Do said stairs thus become overcrowded?

We are living in a world where we have vaccines for COVID and millions are deeply skeptical / refuse to use. I'm not so sure a barking alarm telling people to trust the elevator would be much different.

11 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Interesting. I wonder how this would work in real world scenarios.

You are at your desk. There's an explosion. You see smoke from the floor below you and the alarm system tells you to proceed to the elevator instead of stairs. Do you actually so it?  Or do you go for the stairs? Do said stairs thus become overcrowded?

We are living in a world where we have vaccines for COVID and millions are deeply skeptical / refuse to use. I'm not so sure a barking alarm telling people to trust the elevator would be much different.

My mother and father were in a hotel fire in downtown Philadelphia which happened  on or near  the ground floor and the fireman knocked on their door of their 15th or 16th floor room and told them to take the elevator down.  They waded through the lobby as it flowing with water and checked out early.   Welcome to Philly and this was a house hunting trip! 

• Thanks 1

That’s really cool! I like reading and learning about stuff like that. YouTubed a video of OEE and think it’s a really good idea. More costly of course to have a setup like this but a small price if they can save a lot of lives in the event of an emergency. The model showed that people that could, still took the stairs if they wanted to. OEE would be a massive benefit for older employees, wheelchairs, pregnant mothers, etc. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3