Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

12 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I bet you’re fun at parties…

He’s got a point, though. 

It’s good that it brought more jobs but so far, it hasn’t really added anything to shake (uptown) Charlotte’s criticism of coming across as a sterile & soulless area. 

What vibrancy do you think this adds? They are pretty buildings and adds high paying jobs but I don’t see why that means people can say the pedestrian interaction is stinky. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think you are judging the project way before it is done.  They have plenty of retail space along S Church however due the lack of workers and Covid hard to get retailers interested in that space.  There are plenty of places to build on yet to come including the corner spot.  The retail environment uptown right now is really struggling.  But to judge this project now is so premature.  and I have a prediction some of you will hate the Riverside development that I have seen a rendering of but at least Linclon Harris builds buildings on its on land unlike some others uptown. 

Just looking at Riversides current buildings in Chicago, I don't think there will be much retail... at least not as much as you would expect from 3 buildings, but I am okay with that because the proposed residential density will help make big retail areas like spectrum really fill out. Hopefully it has some retail though.

2 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Actually, before any other super tall buildings in one corner of Uptown, I'd take 20 or so mid-rise buildings to fill in the empty lots in the heart of Uptown like at Poplar and 3rd or that annoying lot in front of Ink & Ivy, or the parking lots right along West Trade, the empty surface lots in the Brevard area that you pass when riding the Light Rail Line, and of course the wasteland-like emptiness in 1st ward.  Also hope we can tear down and replace the poorly "integrated" parking garages along Church Street.  So yea, we have plenty of filling in to do before we start boasting super tall buildings for passersby on the interstate.

Like x1,000,000. 

That said, I think we are going to start seeing a lot of infill apartment complexes over the next 5 years in those areas.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CLT @❤️ said:

Agree with @KJHBurgh, Legacy is very much in its infancy. Would it not be way too soon to judge what it will ultimately be, much like the city of Charlotte as a whole. 

A few things if I may: 

1. We continue to be in the midst of a pandemic that thus far doesn’t seem to have an end. A pandemic that for all intents and purposes has fundamentally changed the business districts of every major city in the country. 
2. Unless you are Whole Foods, Harris Teeter or Publix, (small) retail establishments are great for the neighborhood, and street level activity, but they don’t pay the real rent in a large cities BD, mega corporations that utilize class A office tower space do.
3. It seems like we would get a lot further just allowing Charlotte be Charlotte? The QC is not Berlin, Munich, Seattle, NYC,  or anywhere else, it is Charlotte, North Carolina, and CLT is still very much evolving in to who it will be. While these other cities have long ago gained their identities Charlotte is still establishing who it will ultimately be. Those other cities are cities of yesterday, today, but Charlotte is a city of today and tomorrow. And that’s pretty awesome! 
4. With “retail establishments” that continue to be decimated by Covid. (many are clients of mine), some have permanently closed, others are hanging on by a thread, and then other’s are well financed establishments, with owners and capital investors that secure their long term presence.

If we give LU development time to build out, we will see that great deal of thought went in to the final product. Look at how far it has come since this real estate was occupied by the Charlotte Observer. 

On Site @Legacy Today: 

Additional drilling equipment on site, gearing up for yet another tower. 

CFA1CA84-9570-496C-ABB7-23866CCF2038.jpeg

2533000D-82DF-415E-B5F0-C4B453998C77.jpeg

454F3576-706B-4057-886B-DC6C5DCEE36C.jpeg

BE35665D-B165-4ABB-BC12-063AD7BA55DA.jpeg

105C2E92-1D42-460E-A87B-32783FD6B19C.png

Agreed with much of what you wrote. 

"Get a lot further letting Charlotte be Charlotte" - unclear on that. 

Charlotte is a sprawling sunbelt city coming of age in an age of auto-centricity.  Many of us on this thread are uptown boosters who recognize street-level vitality with a pedestrian focus to be core to uptown's competitiveness versus other parts of the city (we're working against powerful regional forces to want this).  Plenty of other cities globally are doing and have done pedestrian focus far more effectively than Charlotte.  I hope Charlotte is cosmopolitan enough and intellectually curious enough to consider and incorporate a globe's worth of models to be the apotheosis of pedestrian-scale urban living.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

On 8/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, RANYC said:

Actually, before any other super tall buildings in one corner of Uptown, I'd take 20 or so mid-rise buildings to fill in the empty lots in the heart of Uptown like at Poplar and 3rd or that annoying lot in front of Ink & Ivy, or the parking lots right along West Trade, the empty surface lots in the Brevard area that you pass when riding the Light Rail Line, and of course the wasteland-like emptiness in 1st ward.  Also hope we can tear down and replace the poorly "integrated" parking garages along Church Street.  So yea, we have plenty of filling in to do before we start boasting super tall buildings for passersby on the interstate.

What matters - what really sticks with people - is the experience they have at street-level, at ground-level.  Berlin or Munich may never have as many high-rises as we currently have, but they're internationally renowned and inspiring places to visit and celebrate, and on foot or in trains for the most part.

Couldn’t agree more!! These mega towers are nice but aren’t doing the street level any justice. None of the major skyscrapers bring much activity other than being a one stop shop for workers/office space. I think there honestly needs to be a unique residential tower with lots of retail to give LU some life. I honestly think the area is kind of dead because it’s so close to the edge of uptown and SouthEnd is really disconnected because of 277. 

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the area is dead because we just went through a pandemic which prevented 1) office workers from coming in, 2) hotels from being open and then people wanting to go to those hotels after they were opened, 3) the convention center from being used, 4) fans in stadiums. 

To be honest, we have never seen this area at what it could be. Almost everything new here was finished or started during the pandemic. There are more towers coming. This is the very definition of a work in progress. Eventually it will be one of the denser concentrations of Hotel/Office/Residential/Event in the city. I would like to see it when everything is functioning as intended. 

Amen, preach!

10 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the area is dead because we just went through a pandemic which prevented 1) office workers from coming in, 2) hotels from being open and then people wanting to go to those hotels after they were opened, 3) the convention center from being used, 4) fans in stadiums. 

To be honest, we have never seen this area at what it could be. Almost everything new here was finished or started during the pandemic. There are more towers coming. This is the very definition of a work in progress. Eventually it will be one of the denser concentrations of Hotel/Office/Residential/Event in the city. I would like to see it when everything is functioning as intended. 

I definitely agree but what I meant by it being dead is moreso in a sense for how large scale of a project it is and what is apart of the development, which is pretty much all office with little retail. That’s why I said I’d like to see residential and retail added to bring the life because even DE1 and other large towers don’t really bring vibrant activity. So yes I’m well aware that it is not fully built out and we are in a pandemic. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

So everyone here is in general agreement that this Corner Lot at LU4 is\will be some type of Office Tower?  Not Residential or Hotel or Mixed Use?

I would say so since they have planned one there from the beginning and even marketed a proposed building there.   Plenty of local tenants that might be looking like US Bank, MUFG etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So everyone here is in general agreement that this Corner Lot at LU4 is\will be some type of Office Tower?  Not Residential or Hotel or Mixed Use?

I think the rumor was office. IF this goes office, (if it goes at all), I would imagine Hotel/Apartment comes pretty fast after, if not while this is still building... 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 3