Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 8/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, RANYC said:

Actually, before any other super tall buildings in one corner of Uptown, I'd take 20 or so mid-rise buildings to fill in the empty lots in the heart of Uptown like at Poplar and 3rd or that annoying lot in front of Ink & Ivy, or the parking lots right along West Trade, the empty surface lots in the Brevard area that you pass when riding the Light Rail Line, and of course the wasteland-like emptiness in 1st ward.  Also hope we can tear down and replace the poorly "integrated" parking garages along Church Street.  So yea, we have plenty of filling in to do before we start boasting super tall buildings for passersby on the interstate.

What matters - what really sticks with people - is the experience they have at street-level, at ground-level.  Berlin or Munich may never have as many high-rises as we currently have, but they're internationally renowned and inspiring places to visit and celebrate, and on foot or in trains for the most part.

Couldn’t agree more!! These mega towers are nice but aren’t doing the street level any justice. None of the major skyscrapers bring much activity other than being a one stop shop for workers/office space. I think there honestly needs to be a unique residential tower with lots of retail to give LU some life. I honestly think the area is kind of dead because it’s so close to the edge of uptown and SouthEnd is really disconnected because of 277. 

2 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the area is dead because we just went through a pandemic which prevented 1) office workers from coming in, 2) hotels from being open and then people wanting to go to those hotels after they were opened, 3) the convention center from being used, 4) fans in stadiums. 

To be honest, we have never seen this area at what it could be. Almost everything new here was finished or started during the pandemic. There are more towers coming. This is the very definition of a work in progress. Eventually it will be one of the denser concentrations of Hotel/Office/Residential/Event in the city. I would like to see it when everything is functioning as intended. 

Amen, preach!

10 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the area is dead because we just went through a pandemic which prevented 1) office workers from coming in, 2) hotels from being open and then people wanting to go to those hotels after they were opened, 3) the convention center from being used, 4) fans in stadiums. 

To be honest, we have never seen this area at what it could be. Almost everything new here was finished or started during the pandemic. There are more towers coming. This is the very definition of a work in progress. Eventually it will be one of the denser concentrations of Hotel/Office/Residential/Event in the city. I would like to see it when everything is functioning as intended. 

I definitely agree but what I meant by it being dead is moreso in a sense for how large scale of a project it is and what is apart of the development, which is pretty much all office with little retail. That’s why I said I’d like to see residential and retail added to bring the life because even DE1 and other large towers don’t really bring vibrant activity. So yes I’m well aware that it is not fully built out and we are in a pandemic. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

So everyone here is in general agreement that this Corner Lot at LU4 is\will be some type of Office Tower?  Not Residential or Hotel or Mixed Use?

I would say so since they have planned one there from the beginning and even marketed a proposed building there.   Plenty of local tenants that might be looking like US Bank, MUFG etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So everyone here is in general agreement that this Corner Lot at LU4 is\will be some type of Office Tower?  Not Residential or Hotel or Mixed Use?

I think the rumor was office. IF this goes office, (if it goes at all), I would imagine Hotel/Apartment comes pretty fast after, if not while this is still building... 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, KJHburg said:

my drive by photos today.  wonder if this is the new US Bank Tower??? anyone know who the anchor could be?  Lets see if it took 2 years or so to build and Truist is not going to renew US Banks lease in their tower they US Bank needs a home.   The blank wall of the BOAT will open into the new tower. 

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

Could be, they have certainly been growing their presence here for many years now  … 
“The talent pool here is just so good."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/11/u-s-bank-expands-at-hearst-tower-leasing-35th.html

https://www.usbank.com/about-us-bank/company-blog/article-library/us-bank-adding-retail-banking-to-charlotte-presence-in-2019.html

Edited by CLT @❤️
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

if that article is still correct they have 81,000 sq ft there and they have a floor or two over in 201 S Tryon which makes they probably 100K or more space big enough to anchor a 400-500K building and they may want more space.   Truist does not want a competitor in their building but will honor their lease of course and since most leases are 7-10 years they are up soon.   Lincoln Harris will just start a building and then release renderings.  Be on the lookout for that address 600 South Tryon as that is what the building they marketed there was addressed.  I would guess a 20-25 story building or so give or take a few floors. 

This is three years old … 

“In fall 2019, U.S. Bank will expand its retail banking presence to a new state with the opening of its first branch in Charlotte, North Carolina. Retail banking expansion complements an already strong U.S. Bank presence in Charlotte, which is home to roughly 800 employees across several business areas, including Corporate & Commercial Banking, Investment Services, Risk & Compliance, and Mortgage. 

U.S. Bank is in the process of filing its application for expansion in North Carolina with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.”

• Like 1

Great find, KJH!  Very interesting to see the site plan...I'm sure it's not finalized, but interesting to see that 600 ST won't be connected to LU1 (BOAT).  I was under the impression that wall was meant to be temporary and that the new tower would be connected (similar to how the Deloitte tower is.  Also, hope the grey structure to the left of 600 ST isn't a parking deck lol.  That is such a crucial intersection and plot of land though.  There needs to be less lobby and more retail for this tower considering the location.  Retail should face the plaza, Tryon & Stonewall st and feed off of Ally's retail/foot traffic (could be a pretty neat area if executed correctly).

• Like 4