Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Truist Tower aka Hearst Tower has multiple above ground parking levels in it and very well screened too.  I have declared that garage one of the worst as all the parking spaces seem to be compact and I have only parked there once and vowed never to come back.  And I have not.   (my favorite parking garage in Charlotte?  those at the airport  those  all are large spaces there) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Those blanks brick walls on the ground level path on the left side of the building would be a nice spot for some murals to add personality / un-Ballantyne the space. 

I'm willing to bet there's already another tower in the works for that side of the building. Otherwise I'd totally agree with you!

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Per Jason Thomas of Axios (CA), the new tower at the corner of LU went from 20k retail to 5k of retail. Please tell me this is a typo. 

Don't forget 8 floors of parking (800+ spaces).  I'm more tolerant of parking decks than some but this is getting ridiculous.  Hopefully, they can at least integrate and screen it as they did with Honeywell (assume that is the plan).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Per Jason Thomas of Axios (CA), the new tower at the corner of LU went from 20k retail to 5k of retail. Please tell me this is a typo. 

NOTTTT of Axios (CA) lol 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW8Nw7uLpak/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Jt282506
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here is his post the tower will be 461,000 sq ft of office, 5000 sq ft of retail 833 spaces in a deck. and permitting has begun.  23 stories.    (From his Instagram post) 

Remember there is a level of parking in Deloitte tower and a couple of levels of very masked parking next the BOAT tower IN ADDITION to the mega deck.   I suspect this garage will be well hidden.  I am sure this parking is something their lead tenant which they have one wanted.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Sorry JT, I don't keep up with a lot of that stuff lol...but the main concern should be why it was reduced from 20k to 5k.   That is a PRIME location and if true, a big disappointment.  

Take a walk around the buildings and you tell me why they reduced it.

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Haha 4

The scary thing about the reduction from 20k to 5k of retail is..... 5k is the average size of a bank branch...... wouldn't be surprised if the only retail that ends up here is a bank and some ATMs like the FNB Tower.... yay! Exciting!

Meanwhile, the rest of the retail at LU will sit empty cause a bank branch and parking garage driveways will create a dead zone to the Church Street retail at LU that is still a vacant wasteland. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is his post the tower will be 461,000 sq ft of office, 5000 sq ft of retail 833 spaces in a deck. and permitting has begun.  23 stories.    (From his Instagram post) 

Remember there is a level of parking in Deloitte tower and a couple of levels of very masked parking next the BOAT tower IN ADDITION to the mega deck.   I suspect this garage will be well hidden.  I am sure this parking is something their lead tenant which they have one wanted.  

I’ve mixed feelings.  

We are in a somewhat better place than say, Jacksonville, where new office buildings are in the suburbs along an expressway surrounded by a sea of surface parking…talk about auto-centricity.  So I'm not inclined to be too critical of what Legacy Union has done.  

Yes, LU could invest more in place-making to draw sustainable retail, but given the state of things in Uptown and its overall lack of reliable, retail-oriented foot traffic, I do wonder if place-making is enough to overcome fundamental weaknesses and perhaps gloomy post-pandemic prospects for the Uptown retail environment.

Out of curiosity, how are the Ally Center retail and JW Marriott restaurant spaces doing?  Every time I walk or drive in that area, seems dead, but maybe I’m just there at the wrong times.  An exception was the night the beggar was pressing the guy with the Mercedes for $2.  That was a bit of street-level activation.

Covid has exposed an uptown vulnerability insofar as it’s heavily corporate/office-used.  Should we then set new goals and measurable objectives for Uptown, care of center city partners?  Perhaps X number of new residents living in core Uptown in the next X years.  Can we measure and obtain foot traffic data and factor that into goal-setting? 

I love how uptown looks, love nature’s monuments in the form of our big oaks as street trees, but it has been eerily empty on a number of random days when I've ventured there, excepting big events/sporting events.  How do we make our Uptown one for Lingering and Immersion, versus more of an "In-and-Out" district?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Before Covid hit all the retail space at Ally was supposedly spoken for and during the pandemic that changed. They had to restart all their or most of their efforts again.   Uptown is still tough as a retail/restaurant space UNTIL all these office workers get back.  I have suggested repeatedly big office space owners need to subsidize or allow pop up shops in these vacant spaces. But the biggest situation is when uptown returns to the employment hub actually in the office.  Remember 300 South Tryon lost both their retail tenants and had to release to 2 new operators.  Having events again is helping but the day to day office workers are the source of most of the business at uptown retailers and restauranters.  I do wish LH would sell or JV one of their spots for high rise residential tower that could provide lots of close by residents.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

https://twitter.com/cltdevelopment/status/1470583906026070020?s=21
This tweet is not related to this project, but its a healthy reminder of what sells urban retail in 2021 an what sets projects like Ally Charlotte Center apart. To have successful urban retail you must have a sense of place, a "there." 

Exactly right. I hope the new Nightswim in LU does really well because those guys are friends of mine, but I really wonder how many off-the-street people they're going to get. Maybe they'll get enough business from the BofA and Deloitte employees, but someone walking by would never even know it's there. LU was designed with absolutely no reason to frequent any of the tiny bit of retail they have.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Just wanted to point out that there is a good deal of completely vacant street level space in the mega garage and the prime spot in deloitte tower also vacant. I imagine it looks a lot less favorable now on paper to do 20k in the new tower. 

Like I said, walk around the building. Notice how close those spaces are from back of curb (so no patio space, except maybe a row for 3 two-tops), and how rarely they are not shrouded in shade ( you are either in the shade of the buildings, or the giant over street connection.) There's also no at grade pedestrian crossing from the building to the parking deck, you are forced to use the tube. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jessediebolt said:

This entire project reminds me of a corporate park you'd see off the side of a highway, but with taller buildings and a better location.

That pretty much sums of this project. 

That doesn’t take away the jobs, etc it brings to center city and that it’s an overall net plus for the center city. 

• Like 3