Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I wish they didn't carry the giant column along Tryon like on the Deloitte building, but love that the lobby looks to be tucked away and the retail size is solid. 

On the column front, I think it is just a bit imposing and cuts the windows of the building off from the street / isn't welcoming. Just an opinion though! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is this going to be built upon a parking garage?  If so, does the 23 floors include the garage space, or is that all office floors?

I believe that this includes a parking deck, and yes, the total floor count includes the parking deck

• Like 2

That plan looks like the building will take up all of the remaining parcel there at N.Tryon & Stonewall with a party-wall to the main BOA Tower ending at Church St.  Designed to fit that lot well I guess.  If they have just received Grading Permits already then I wouldn’t be surprised to see construction here by this summer or earlier.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

8 story parking deck will take up rest of the block, but office tower only takes the third closest to Tryon.  An apartment tower or hotel will eventually go at the Stonewall/Church corner on top of the parking deck.

Wow that’s a great use of space but I suspect that both Residential and Hotel here may be quite some time away from developing.  Southend is definitely taking some of Uptown’s mojo currently.  With Residential starting along Morehead & Metropolitan soon (as well as SE) I don’t see LU residential in the next year or two.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow that’s a great use of space but I suspect that both Residential and Hotel here may be quite some time away from developing.  Southend is definitely taking some of Uptown’s mojo currently.  With Residential starting along Morehead & Metropolitan soon (as well as SE) I don’t see LU residential in the next year or two.  

What does that even mean? You don't think they will build a hotel/residential tower just because of what is going on in SouthEnd.... its more so about demand. And truthfully that area would be perfect for a residential tower or hotel seeing as though all of that office space is being built. Something needs to break it up. And of course Charlotte's growth is still on the rise and fast. I hope this is the last office space in the LU development. I remember when it was first proposed they said 2 million square feet of office, and with this one, I'm sure that this entire development will equal out to over 2 million all together with the three current office towers and this newest one. I personally think a hotel needs to go on the curved lot right across from the stadium. All that office and an 80,00 seat stadium with no major hotel near until you get to the JW Marriott.  I feel like at least a 500 to 800 room hotel could go there. And don't forget the possible addition of office space to be built when Duke redevelops that block right next to that as well. It would make sense. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

What does that even mean? You don't think they will build a hotel/residential tower just because of what is going on in SouthEnd.... its more so about demand. And truthfully that area would be perfect for a residential tower or hotel seeing as though all of that office space is being built. Something needs to break it up. And of course Charlotte's growth is still on the rise and fast. I hope this is the last office space in the LU development. I remember when it was first proposed they said 2 million square feet of office, and with this one, I'm sure that this entire development will equal out to over 2 million all together with the three current office towers and this newest one. I personally think a hotel needs to go on the curved lot right across from the stadium. All that office and an 80,00 seat stadium with no major hotel near until you get to the JW Marriott.  I feel like at least a 500 to 800 room hotel could go there. And don't forget the possible addition of office space to be built when Duke redevelops that block right next to that as well. It would make sense. 

Just saying that High Rise Residential is very expensive to build and to rent from.  The High Rise Market is about to be saturated soon with all of the Projects breaking ground in SouthEnd and along Morehead and the NWR Site at Metropolitan.  

I could imagine that 8 Story Parking Podium (as per atlrvr) being built along with the Office Tower ready to support a Residential Tower but it maybe not being built until later on sort of like the Museum Tower being built years later.  For the foreseeable future any high rise residential built Uptown will have some stiff competition from SouthEnd High Rise Apartments because you have the vibrancy of the neighborhood and uptown views.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, j-man said:

HoneyWell may get a second tower next to their first. Tower 4 is under development right now, and tower 5 and 6 are the remaining 2. However, I always thought there would be room for a 7th based on the map. so we will see, 

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

HoneyWell may get a second tower next to their first. Tower 4 is under development right now, and tower 5 and 6 are the remaining 2. However, I always thought there would be room for a 7th based on the map. so we will see, 

There's a new tower under development at LU?  Tower 4 you say?  Is that the project at SW corner of Tryon & Stonewall, and ground has broken on that?

• 1 month later...