Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

35 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Charlotte is both larger than Nashville and has a much better skyline. Add Tampa to the list we are more impressive than.

Tampa's downtown growth is slower compared to other Southern cities. Not sure why that is.

• Like 1

No doubt inevitable, a wise man once said, "it will quickly become a very sticky wicket when we compare ourselves amongst ourselves" Could not the same apply when cities and their skylines are compared to one another, as each is its own very unique entity that either thrives, survives, or dies dependent on what uniquely takes place within that metro? Buildings within a skyline are the result of what business within each particular city demands.  
Consider if BofA decided to build the corporate center as two twin 30 storey towers, and Wachovia went with three buildings instead of one 787' tower, and Duke and so on. You would certainly have the skyline density without the height. Think Nashville and San Diego as examples. Just something to consider as some of us appreciate the ever evolving Charlotte skyline, and how far it has come in the past 3 - 4 decades. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Even with the height, Charlotte’s Core Skyline is larger than Nashville’s core downtown skyline, and still more dense than both Nashville and San Diego. I’ve always been impressed with Nashville and how far outside of downtown it’s towers go.  San Diego’s skyline is more expansive, and beautiful on the water. It’s definetely not Inferior to Charlotte’s- it’s just different. 

JacksonH, you should respond since you live in downtown San Diego...

NC has always been sort of unique when it comes to population. It has pretty much always been one of the bigger states; I think I read somewhere it has ranked among the top 12 for its entire existence (of course, there were less states a long time ago, but still impressive). Currently sitting at #9 with 10.5 million people. 

The problem is that our population is very spread out. Many of the other large states (New York, Illinois, Georgia, Michigan, etc.) have one humongous metro area with a huge percentage of the population. We have never had that, and even now as Charlotte explodes, the Triangle does the exact same thing and keeps the population fairly spread out. We just have a bunch of small and medium sized cities in the Piedmont instead of one huge one. Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad are all fairly close to each other and would combine to make one of the largest metro areas in the US (>6.5 million), but they are too separated to make that mean anything.

In that sense, I guess we are similar to Ohio. In another sense we are also similar to New Jersey in that New Jersey does not have any particularly large cities, but the similarities end there as northeastern Jersey is absolutely packed with millions of people in dozens of small towns and cities close to NYC.

• Like 4

Charlotte since about 1992 has always had a pretty skyline. Mostly because it has a couple of beautiful signature towers. I don't think it can be compared to San Francisco or some of the largest cities. The size discrepancy is just way too huge. But it has always had a extraordinarily beautiful skyline relative to its size. 

And speaking of Mid-Sized cities undergoing huge and impressive transformations....

spacer.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

NC has always been sort of unique when it comes to population. It has pretty much always been one of the bigger states; I think I read somewhere it has ranked among the top 12 for its entire existence (of course, there were less states a long time ago, but still impressive). Currently sitting at #9 with 10.5 million people. 

The problem is that our population is very spread out. Many of the other large states (New York, Illinois, Georgia, Michigan, etc.) have one humongous metro area with a huge percentage of the population. We have never had that, and even now as Charlotte explodes, the Triangle does the exact same thing and keeps the population fairly spread out. We just have a bunch of small and medium sized cities in the Piedmont instead of one huge one. Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad are all fairly close to each other and would combine to make one of the largest metro areas in the US (>6.5 million), but they are too separated to make that mean anything.

In that sense, I guess we are similar to Ohio. In another sense we are also similar to New Jersey in that New Jersey does not have any particularly large cities, but the similarities end there as northeastern Jersey is absolutely packed with millions of people in dozens of small towns and cities close to NYC.

I think that the NJ suburbs within 40 miles of Manhattan have around 5m people.

Does anyone know when renderings might be released for the new tower?

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Charlotte since about 1992 has always had a pretty skyline. Mostly because it has a couple of beautiful signature towers. I don't think it can be compared to San Francisco or some of the largest cities. The size discrepancy is just way too huge. But it has always had a extraordinarily beautiful skyline relative to its size. 

And speaking of Mid-Sized cities undergoing huge and impressive transformations....

spacer.png

1992.....thats kind of a stretch. I mean if you just love Charlotte, then okay, but 1992....the city barely had actual skyscrapers...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DownEast said:

Metro was def larger than 530k. Heck, the 1980 city pop. was 314k. The only pictures I had ever seen of Charlotte were from the World Book Encyclopedia and travel brochures until my first visit at 16. Some of those demos are still fresh in my head. 

~1.2M for the MSA? 
https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2000/phc/phc-t-29/tab01a.pdf

i still think the skyline was decent.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, carolinaboy said:

These construction sites always look so tiny to me when they're vacant. But once equipment and construction activities begin they magically become gigantic.:tw_grin:

Is there no way to request one from the city? Surely Planning or Permitting or another city agency had to review elevations/renderings, right? 

Things like elevations are file upon the time of the rezoning and final permitting in Accela for the Charlotte Planning, Design, & Development Department along with the Mecklenburg County Building Department who issues the certificate of occupancy. It's already out there but you have to look for it