Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

21 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Looking at the approved land-use plans, the height on the new tower is 366'.  That is just a bit taller than half-way between the top of Deloitte and top of Ally.

Disappointingly, it no longer appears that it is being designed for a 2nd tower closer to Church St.  There will be retail at Church/Stonewall, but no evidence of elevator banks at the rear of the building. (just at the office tower portion closer to Tryon).

That’s very lame

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but looking at Mgelbach's photo, it's inconceivable that 277 from (at a minimum) S. Church to S College isn't decked over and made into a park.

DJI_0909-HDR.jpg

I think the old Freight Yard or whatever it is north of Uptown is much more deserving. I don’t think there’s so much benefit in capping this portion relative to other investments in Park & Rec. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/241697/plans-for-a-massive-central-park-for-charlotte-quietly-advance/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think the old Freight Yard or whatever it is north of Uptown is much more deserving. I don’t think there’s so much benefit in capping this portion relative to other investments in Park & Rec. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/241697/plans-for-a-massive-central-park-for-charlotte-quietly-advance/

As much as it would be cool to cap the freight yard for a park, a la Millenium Park in Chicago, it would be hugely cost prohibitive to do so, more si than even a cap over 277 would be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

It would cost a transit system amount to bury and deck the train yard North of Town, where as this would be in $100M range.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

It would cost a transit system amount to bury and deck the train yard North of Town, where as this would be in $100M range.

decking 277 is a no-brainer.  Julie Eiselt appeared to allude to this on twitter suggesting that incentives for a new stadium be shaped as funding for a new "stadium social district" which would include a cap over 277.

4 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I know it’s disappointing but I think a 366’ Tower at this site (LU4) continues to move the needle forward here in Charlotte for densification.  

I think it’s a nice height to be honest. As long as it’s taller than Deloitte, then I’m ok. I Like a variety. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

$100 Million for a cap would build a LOT of greenway miles  just saying in city and county and region starved for parks.  If a cap is such a great idea have private money build it as uptown interests will benefit the most.  

can do both.  integrate our uptown and south end districts into a much larger integrated downtown with a cap, and since the transit plan will be reworked likely with a much abbreviated silver line, incorporate greenway build-out in that plan since greenway is viewed as a key part of mobility and not just park space for recreating

• Like 2

$100 Million for a cap would build a LOT of greenway miles  just saying in city and county and region starved for parks.  If a cap is such a great idea have private money build it as uptown interests will benefit the most.  

Mecklenburg is starved of park period. Greenways are great in connecting areas and other parks but there is legit a lack of parks in Charlotte.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

But a cap isn't just an expenditure for walks and rides, it's a catalyst for a massive return on investment.  It would open a bunch of land for new, dense, dev.  It's no different than how a new road or highway suddenly might open up a new megasite for a major economic development project.  Put in a new piece of infrastructure, and suddenly you spur a new economic dev windfall.  A cap would spur projects and dev in high-dollar real estate in and around uptown in a way that the Greenways aren't designed to.  And why should such extraordinary ROIs only be available to private dollars?  Infrastructure has always been a key use of public dollars to then open up dev opportunities and increase tax rolls.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2022 at 10:45 AM, atlrvr said:

Looking at the approved land-use plans, the height on the new tower is 366'.  That is just a bit taller than half-way between the top of Deloitte and top of Ally.

Disappointingly, it no longer appears that it is being designed for a 2nd tower closer to Church St.  There will be retail at Church/Stonewall, but no evidence of elevator banks at the rear of the building. (just at the office tower portion closer to Tryon).

Yea its no longer designed for that, that portion will be precast parking deck, so it couldn't even support a tower :-(

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Yea its no longer designed for that, that portion will be precast parking deck, so it couldn't even support a tower :-(

But if a precase parking deck that means it can easily come down in the future.   A Charlotte Urbanist told me that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

So wait… there is going to be an uncovered precast deck right on Tryon/Stonewall? Will it at least have retail?

Church and Stonewall, not Tryon. 

Legacy Union has made their Church street stretch a parking garage corridor with ugly retail spots. Unsurprisingly nobody wants to open a business in the retail spots.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Not just ugly, but narrow spaces, low storefront heights, small entrances, narrow sidewalks, no outdoor space... it's just a total failure.

that's disappointing.  is it that church traffic moves one-way and really fast?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joenc said:

The Harris' don't look like people that appreciate walking around much.

I've posted before on the lack of fitness and lack of physical stamina and its potential linkage to a general antagonism toward walkability.

There is perhaps rampant yet undiscussed fit-shaming happening in the country.

Edited by RANYC

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

So wait… there is going to be an uncovered precast deck right on Tryon/Stonewall? Will it at least have retail?

the office tower is on the Tryon corner and the deck evidently behind it.  The tower will face and corner Tryon and Stonewall. 

• Like 2