Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Actually appreciate Lincoln Harris for the density on the Legacy Union Site.  Could be much better in regards to the planned Retail but I’m glad they’re at least doing something.  The area around 1st Ward Park is really a shame.  The entire LU site (2 Pads Remaining) will probably be built out (or at least under construction) before another major development is completed around 1st Ward Park.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Other than looking at the buildings... what are you doing at the Legacy Union site that is different than what you can do around First Ward? Right now both are dead zones. I guess one can open a checking account and get a coffee at Legacy Union.... around First Ward Park you can sign up for Google Fiber and go to Owen's Bagels. Sit by the fountain for a bit. The park itself is decent and elevates that area above Legacy IMO. Outside of parks though, both are kind of dull dead zones. 

I really hope retail comes to Legacy Union sooner rather than later and they can attract some appealing tenants. 

Love looking at the buildings - puts me in a trance…LOL…

Retail is a very difficult animal to wrangle - needs visibility, street activation/foot traffic, good location & parking, captive constituents, proper infrastructure, good planning, strong Financing and still may not happen/develop as planned.  Compared to what was here prior (Charlotte Observer Office & Loading Dock) this area has been transformed and as such, is helping to transform the adjacent blocks.  

The Ally Project does have some pretty good mix of retail/commercial uses and gets quite busy during the weekends.  Not sure if LU can have similar Ground Floor establishments along Tryon Rd but we will see with this new LU4 Tower.

53 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Other than looking at the buildings... what are you doing at the Legacy Union site that is different than what you can do around First Ward? Right now both are dead zones. I guess one can open a checking account and get a coffee at Legacy Union.... around First Ward Park you can sign up for Google Fiber and go to Owen's Bagels. Sit by the fountain for a bit. The park itself is decent and elevates that area above Legacy IMO. Outside of parks though, both are kind of dull dead zones. 

I really hope retail comes to Legacy Union sooner rather than later and they can attract some appealing tenants. 

You can't even open a bank account. The BofA Tower doesn't have a branch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

In 1968 I and two college buddies, one from Pittsburgh and the other from Coral Gables Fl decided our education was not complete without a visit to NYC. Our first day in lower Manhattan we were awestruck. As we wandered the financial district we saw the bank buildings as Greek temples lining the street. I needed some cash from my pitiful checking account and had brought my checkbook. (All well before ATM, general credit cards). We entered one of the temples with brass doors, magnificent decor, grand ceiling, more columns, marble, glorious surroundings all built by customer money. I saw no teller windows, no counters to write checks and sign deposit slips. There were desks all around the main floor and I stepped to one of the desks and asked the kind lady where I could cash a check. "We are not that kind of bank" she replied. The education continued for the rest of that visit.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

You can't even open a bank account. The BofA Tower doesn't have a branch. 

I think there is a financial center branch in the lobby. You just can't access it directly from the street. I'd assume a lot of people can't find it.

https://locators.bankofamerica.com/nc/charlotte/financial-centers-charlotte-16921.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Half of LU site is still under construction. Yes, there’s availability in the deck and probably Deloitte tower now but I bet 24/7 construction makes it difficult/unattractive right now for potential tenants especially the deck retail spots facing stonewall. Waiting for full buildout to cast judgement on the retail situation. Too early in the game to call the retail situation a failure. Tons of potential in that area especially with possible redevelopment of duke site and parking deck. Coupled with being by the stadium and all the massive projects going on across 277 which is very close walking distance. Retail will be fine in at LU. 

• Like 4

^Not disagreeing with any of your points (I agree).  Except the movies in the park thing lol. I was hoping that patch of grass would be flanked by retail on both sides like Hearst but better.  But in terms of the long run and full buildout of LU…stated a few posts above from me…this thing is literally 50% still under construction. Pedestrian experience/ground level seems suboptimal for sure, but again, we’re a long ways from the full buildout and we don’t even know what the current building u/c even looks like (besides ppl in the know). Luckily, the last parcel left for development is massive and a blank canvas. You can do a lot there. Need a hotel and/or/both residential tower. Absolutely needs 24/7 foot traffic in the area that a hotel/residential project would create. I know LH builds to what the market is dictating and I know they move fast but hope they are cognizant of making a successful Legacy Union as a whole. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

AirNorstrom really puts the MAD in his name. Wouldn’t see it any other way. (You have every right to have that opinion I totally agree with you on the crap pedestrian level. It’s needless to say though that it isn’t irreparable though. Also I’m just making jokes.) : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

AirNorstrom really puts the MAD in his name. Wouldn’t see it any other way. (You have every right to have that opinion I totally agree with you on the crap pedestrian level. It’s needless to say though that it isn’t irreparable though. Also I’m just making jokes.) : )

It’s all gooddd. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

That’s really impressive.  It looks like a shorter version of the new tower that BofA is anchoring on Wacker Drive in Chicago.  I think that Riverside developed the one in Chicago.

I can’t wait to move back to Charlotte once my kids graduate from East Chapel Hill.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 2

Sooooo most people who saw the renderings said they didn’t like the building…like how. This looks a lot better than I thought by how everyone was describing it. But I would need to see more renderings….and also. How much space is left on the block for another tower. Looks like some room is empty behind it. I thought this was going to take over all the empty space left. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, j-man said:

Sooooo most people who saw the renderings said they didn’t like the building…like how. This looks a lot better than I thought by how everyone was describing it. But I would need to see more renderings….and also. How much space is left on the block for another tower. Looks like some room is empty behind it. I thought this was going to take over all the empty space left. 

Space behind is the parking garage. If you zoom in you can see some cars parked on the roof.