Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Sooooo most people who saw the renderings said they didn’t like the building…like how. This looks a lot better than I thought by how everyone was describing it. But I would need to see more renderings….and also. How much space is left on the block for another tower. Looks like some room is empty behind it. I thought this was going to take over all the empty space left. 

who saw it and didnt like it? i dig it for sure. so glad someone else put it out there finally lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is a shame they are just doing a straight garage and not apartments on top…. I don’t get that

And pretty sure someone (KJ maybe?) said the garage wouldn’t be able to support a building even in the future… is that true still? Couldn’t build something on it later?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

And pretty sure someone (KJ maybe?) said the garage wouldn’t be able to support a building even in the future… is that true still? Couldn’t build something on it later?

Correct, the garage will not be able to support a structure on top. Confirmed by architect. 

Edited by Jt282506
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Legacy is an awful development but at the same time if Riverside delivers what is shown in renderings it proves what a little extra effort can yield. It's thoughtful development as opposed to just development. LH did include tons of street level retail but the storefronts are all bland and uninviting due to the building architecture. 

• Like 3

When this building is complete this project will have over 50,000 sq. ft. of retail space. I think some people here are jumping the gun on their opinions of the project. Let’s wait until this building and the new Duke tower are complete before we start judging the activation of this space. 

• Like 3

I’m very pleased with the development in this area.  Ten years ago I used to bring my car to the service station on what’s now the Ally site, and the Observer building was so bland and a waste of space.

The development might not be perfect, but Charlotte just keeps getting better.  Charlotte is a work in progress, but the current status of “the canvas” shows A LOT of promise.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Like 4

I definitely think that the lot that’s left by the garage and stadium should go to hotel/apartment. With a large amount of units, not anything small. I’d say at least 600 hotel rooms and at least 400 apartments. And that’s minimum because that area could house all those who work near and the hotel could work for events and office travel near with all that new office space. Just hope they don’t match the look of the red brick used in LU3 and the parking garage! I absolutely hate it. 

Edited by j-man

I definitely think that the lot that’s left beard the garage and stadium should go to hotel/apartment. With a large amount of units, not anything small. I’d say at least 600 hotel rooms and at least 400 apartments. And that’s minimum because that area could house all those who work near and the hotel could work for events and office travel near with all that new office space. Just hope they don’t match the look of the red brick used in LU3 and the parking garage! I absolutely hate it. 

Honeywell is “reserving” the space next to them for expansion so that corner on mint is likely more office if they decide to expand and need the space but I’m not sure how concrete those plans are but either way there’s space behind that still undeveloped that shouldn’t seriously be more parking…. The parking on this development as a whole is insane.
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:48 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Take a screenshot everyone before it gets deleted lol jk. Thanks KJH! Looks tall tbh. I like it. Only concern is that the grassy plaza is neglected of retail facing it again. Hope that’s not all lobby like Deloitte 

actually it does have retail facing the courtyard, this one has by far the smallest lobby to date and 17K of retail.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:32 AM, j-man said:

Sooooo most people who saw the renderings said they didn’t like the building…like how. This looks a lot better than I thought by how everyone was describing it. But I would need to see more renderings….and also. How much space is left on the block for another tower. Looks like some room is empty behind it. I thought this was going to take over all the empty space left. 

I can't remember ever saying I didn't like it lol

• Like 4

On 6/11/2022 at 12:22 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

This is a solid building. Too bad it will be barely visible. This side of town is going to be so dense. 

Kind of astonishing a 20+ story building will be so hidden in the skyline.

Also genuinely curious how the streets will even be functional given the dense, car-centric development on these blocks. Seems like a car commute to one of these towers will not just be a nightmare, but simply unworkable.