Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

41 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Just depends on the type of foundation that’s been designed.  If they’re using Drilled Piers or MicroPiles or CF-Auger Piles as foundations there will not be a large amount of Excavation necessary.  These types of foundations can be installed quickly (within 3 to 6 months) and started after only a couple weeks of Initial Site Preparation.  

Podium style buildings typically have Steel Reinforced Concrete Parking Substructure which take a good amount of time to construct but once that’s done the Vertical Construction of the remaining Building proceeds a bit faster per floor.  Everything depends on how it’s designed.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am sure it is pure coincidence that Lincoln Harris released their renderings after I publicly called on Johno Harris to release them.  

I think it is a fine looking building and can't wait to see other angles of it.  Glad it is one floor taller too than I thought. 

from the Biz Journal article:

""600 South Tryon, which has been under construction since early spring, will be a 24-story, 415,000-square-foot office building at the corner of South Tryon Street and Brooklyn Village Avenue that will include 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and podium parking, as well as conference, coworking and fitness spaces, according to a news release this morning from Lincoln Harris.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/07/12/lincoln-harris-announces-4th-legacy-union-tower.html

20k retail is huge if it’s all Tryon and Brooklyn facing.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

20k retail is huge if it’s all Tryon and Brooklyn facing.

I’m assuming the new parking structure will have retail as well. Is the noted 20k just the tower portion or is that including the tower and parking deck retail sqft all together? If the latter, seems a little small due to the large footprint the tower and parking deck will have together. But hopefully the Brooklyn facing retail will help spark the vacant spaces at DEC where emzy and that fitness place used to be. LH, please please please make the next phase of this a hotel or residential tower of some sort. Absolutely need that 24/7 foot traffic in this area. My last wish is for that last parcel for LH to be more creative with the layout. The crowds that games and concerts create along mint st is something LH should take advantage of. Less corporate feeling and more stadium district feel with  mixed use retail and entertainment  options that can provide year-round and all day activation of the area. The parcel is large and I know it’s more expensive but digging down a few levels for parking would be ideal vs yet another parking deck on LU. 

• Like 4

Are there any engineers who might render an educated guess as to how tall this might be by Christmas?  Might it be three to five stories above ground?

This overhead shot from The Observer shows that this project is much further along than I had thought.

image.jpeg.7d6b9d6fd6c28bbae8aab6973ad13a8d.jpeg

Edited by SydneycartonII

7 hours ago, SydneycartonII said:

That’s true.  If this project were in downtown Raleigh, it would get coverage on every local television channel.  

I think that Charlotte’s sole, true rival right now is Nashville.  Denver and SLC are similarly-sized, dynamic cities, but are too far away to be rivals of Charlotte.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston seem to be rivals given their approximate size, which is significantly greater than Charlotte.  However,  Dallas and Houston seem to be well ahead of Atlanta.

The QC is really thriving.

Side note, I don't know if Google Maps recently updated 3D renderings of Nashville or something but I looked at it last weekend and it looks seriously impressive too. They are lacking some true height like Charlotte has, but the sheer number of (very) high-rises, borderline skyscrapers, is very high. If these two cities have a rivalry it's been a productive one, both are looking great these days.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Side note, I don't know if Google Maps recently updated 3D renderings of Nashville or something but I looked at it last weekend and it looks seriously impressive too. They are lacking some true height like Charlotte has, but the sheer number of (very) high-rises, borderline skyscrapers, is very high. If these two cities have a rivalry it's been a productive one, both are looking great these days.

That’s true.  Charlotte and Nashville are both thriving.